1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Breaking and Entering House Guest" It's long, sorry!

Discussion in 'Stories' started by whosierbabe, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whosierbabe

whosierbabe Boxer Buddy

I think that my dog counts as a rescue because he was a pound puppy and was rescued from the cold that night, so here goes our story.

At 8pm on March 15th I heard a dog whining outside. At first I thought that someone just needed to put their dog in. Then the whining got LOUDER and LOUDER. All of a sudden, I heard a noise on my apartment balcony (it was steps from the ground level). I opened the shades to my sliding glass doors and low and behold, a black puppy sitting very smartly wagging his tail! I opened my door and talked to him through the screen. He seemed friendly, so I went outside to see if he was injured (no injuries thank God!). I then went back inside with the screen door in place and called the apartment security force to see if anyone has lost a dog. No one had reported a dog missing. I then looked up the local animal shelters and called both of them with no results. They were closed! I then called security again and asked them if they had any suggestions of what I could do because it's illegal in my apartment complex to keep unapproved pets. The security officer said that he could keep the puppy in a garage until morning - no heat when it was 30 F that night and unattended! THAT wasn't going to happen!

I then called my mom for suggestions. During the whole time the puppy kept jumping on my screen door, and each time he listened and got down. While I was talking to my mom, I turned my back for one second and POP! my screen was in and so was the puppy! He ran around my apartment "to scope it out" then he laid down and fell asleep curled at my feet. I later called a friend to see if she could watch him while I go to work, but she couldn't. She knew a dog groomer who could take him, but she couldn't take him until the next day. So, I called my mom again and decided that I was going to keep him "at least" overnight and the next day.

I went to Wal-mart at 10pm with the puppy and bought everything I could think of- a collar (he wasn't wearing one), a leash, puppy food (wasn't sure how old he was), treats, dog dishes, toys, a pillow, even a portable crate. By the time we got home, it was 11pm and time for me to go to bed. I tried to get the pup to sleep on the floor next to the couch, but HE decided that my bed was more comfortable so I slept that night with the cuddliest pup!

When I left for work the next morning, the pup SCREAMED as I left, in fact he tipped it over as soon as I closed my door! So I had to set it up again in the door frame of my bathroom. That afternoon when I came back from work, my apartment was in shambles! There were THREE piles of dog mess in the middle of my living room. 6 chocolate chip muffins and at least half a pound of chocolate candy was missing from my kitchen table. Dirty dog prints were all over my door and walls and one of my chairs. The pup had CHEWED a hole in the netting door of the crate just large enough for his head to get through!

After I cleaned up the mess, I drove to my hometown (2.5 hours away) and went to our regular vet. They scanned the pup and found a microchip. I called the owners and left a message on their answering machine. From the chip, I learned that the pup's name was Benny, so that was a start. It wasn't until 28 hours later that I finally heard from the owners. They didn't sound at all concerned, in fact they sounded bothered that I had found him! I made arrangements to return Benny the next day and cried the whole night holding him. My mom, wonderful lady that she is, saw how much I cared for this pup and called the owners herself. She convinced the owners to let her buy the pup off of them. They didn't want him anymore because he was having accidents, in fact they had PURPOSELY turned him loose that day! They had even planned to release him in the country if he had wandered back home!

So my mom made the arrangements for her to buy him for me. I was so happy that I cried! She traveled back to my apartment complex to meet the owners and get them to sign him over to me. The owners told her that Benny was adopted from the local animal shelter in January at age 9 months, so he was nearly a year old. They gave her what they had for him- 2 leashes and a collar from the animal shelter- and said good riddance to my pup. One person's trash is another person's treasure! ;)

Benny is definitely my treasure. He's very friendly to everyone we meet. He loves to play fetch and to run around his grandma's yard. Benny is still by far the cuddliest pup I know. He sleeps beside me every night and I usually wake up with my arm around him and half a dog on my chest! Benny also loves to give kisses with his LONG tongue! Especially when it's time for me to wake up on the weekends! :P

Right now he's doing wonderfully in his new home. Benny is at his optimal weight of 45 lbs (vs his original skinny weight of 38 lbs) and has a healthy appetite for a growing pup. He is, for the most part, very well behaved for a one year old and seems to be winning a bout with his phobias (bathrooms, yelling, raised hands, and baths) and demodex. All I can say is that rescued dogs are very grateful to their rescuers and are definitely worth the costly vet visits to get them healthy again.

Again, sorry that this is such a long post. It sort of got away from me.

2. mguiette

mguiette Boxer Insane

appicon Congratulations on your new addition! appicon It takes a very special person to rescue animals, and I'm so glad your new puppy found you! Keep us posted, and pictures, please!

3. punchinella

punchinella Boxer Insane

Congratulations on your new baby. Sounds like a true sweetheart.

4. Slobberchops

Slobberchops Boxer Insane

Benny broke into the right house,didn't he:)

5. ZOE*BOXER

ZOE*BOXER Boxer Insane

Wow, congrats. :)

6. mybubbieroo

mybubbieroo Boxer Insane

Loved your story! Thanks for sharing.

7. morrissey11

morrissey11 Super Boxer

Wow, what a story, I truly believe it was meant to be, I'm so happy he found you! Kate.

Reilly, 16 months
    Morrissey, 02/1995 - 04/2006

8. tianthai

tianthai Completely Boxer Crazy

It is indeed a very cute "love" story. I think Benny is meant to be with you.

9. Chiefsmom

Chiefsmom Boxer Insane

My thoughts exactly!!! ;)

10. bucksteemom2

bucksteemom2 Boxer Insane

Congrats on your new puppy:) Those people should get dropped off in a woods!!!! Thanks for keeping him angelicon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.