1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxers in show ring

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Alex C., Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex C.

Alex C. Super Boxer

I went to my first dog show this weekend. I went the 3 days I could go to see the Boxers. I noticed they look much different than many Boxers I've seen. They looked much more muscular and just different. Is it due to their genes? Diet? Combo of everything? I was drooling at how beautiful they looked and was curious as to why they look so different. Thanks.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Without the benefit of knowing what the other boxers you've seen look like - one has to say that the most likely reason is that you've seen a lot that don't look as they should ;) That can be due to a number of factors, but the predominant one is that the world has a large proportion of people who think that flinging two dogs of the same approximate breed together is all it takes to produce dogs that look as they should. It isn't - and the result is a lot of dogs that look nothing like a boxer should look (and often don't have correct temperament either - however "nice" their individual temperament may be). Heck, there are plenty of backyard breeders out there who've no idea that there even is a breed standard, let alone what it says.

There is plenty of variation between what you see in the show ring also. But broadly speaking, they all look like boxers and you're never going to mistake them for anything else but a boxer. The same cannot be said for the entire population - and that comes down to quality of breeding.

3. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Another consideration is that most pet dogs in the US are overweight and out of shape; the dogs you see in the show ring are, by and large, in proper weight and condition for their age and breed.

4. Alex C.

Alex C. Super Boxer

Yes! That is exactly what I was telling the people that were with me. I have people who tell me Brandi is too thin, but I tell them Boxers are not supposed to be fat. So thankfully at the show, I got to show them what a Boxer should look like.

I guess like Gmac said, it is the quality of breeding. I was really surprised at how beautiful those dogs are. They looked very muscular and chiseled. They are truly different from what you normally see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.