1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxers are NOT pit bulls!!!

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Titus-n-me, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaelle

Jaelle Completely Boxer Crazy

I don't know very well pitbulls, but I think it's a beautiful breed and I'm sure they're wonderfull dogs. I think this tread is more about the bad reputation that the pitbulls have, all this because they have bad owners! I can imagine if I don't like the way people react when they think our boxer is a pitbull, how you can be angry when people react at your pitbull, you can't even try to explain to them it's a nice dog, pitbulls have a so bad reputation! At least, we can try to explain to them our dog is a boxer, since boxers are not (yet) considerate to be a dangerous dog... Once again, there's no bad dog (or breed ;)), there's only bad owners... I understand very well your point, boxerblessed. I wish you a lot of joy with your boxer!

2. boxerblessed

boxerblessed Boxer Pal

Jaelle, thank you for your words. You are so right and I can't agree more with you. "There are no bad breeds, just bad owners" I just wish that people like pawprintboxers weren't so prejudice. I know someone that has two boxers and use them as guard dogs for their house. They are into illegal narcotics and the dogs are trained to attck when the house is broken into. I, unlike pawprintboxers, don't discriminate against the breed but rather the owner. I did not mean to upset any boxer lovers, I just wanted to get my point across that being compared to a pitbull isn't all that bad. I don't like it when someone says that it is a good looking boxer when I'm walking a pitbull. But I think about it and I love both breeds and take it as a compliment that I have a nice looking dog. Pawprintboxers, you know very little about pitbulls obviously! So you live in a rough area, with some bad people, don't take it out on the breed. My step-mom told me not to get a boxer because her best friend a few years ago had one that nearly killed their son. Unlike you, I didn't let a bad rep turn me away from a good breed. I think that you are too closed minded pawprintboxers. Jaelle, thank you again for being such a bright and intelligent person with a good word to add.

3. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Ignoring the Truth

Be careful.
    The path you travel is a dangerous one. It is called Denial. I am open minded to those that speak with a positive frame of mind and don't condemn other people. You jumped on this board with hate in your heart that I had nothing to do with. You came on and said you were "Pissed" at the people on this board. Guess what? That is not a good way to open a line of communication. You shut everyone out with your first angry line about the "small minded Boxer people" on this board.

Yes, I do know many bad people that own your breed and use them for evil intentions. Of course that does not condemn the breed and I never said that. But hate always hears what it wants to hear.

If you want to prove the virtue of your dogs, show it with action. Obtain a Canine Good Citizen on them. Have them pass the American Temperament Test. Have them pass Delta Society certification for therapy work. In these ways can you prove the positive aspect of your own personal dogs and your breed as a whole.

Lead by example and not by shaming others or intimidating them. I know my breed and have done all the above and more to prove their worth.

Lead by Example :) :) :)

4. boxerblessed

boxerblessed Boxer Pal

I have not called ALL boxer lovers close minded, just you. I know my breed to as well as boxers. I am pissed off that people show shame towards a bring they know little about. How can someone talk trash about a breed they know little about? If someone in here knows pitbulls inside and out and boxers the same, I would respect their opinion on the pitbull whether it be bad or good. But they wouldn't have a bad opinion of a pitbull if they know the lineage. I agree that some owners breed pitbulls for bad, but there are more good ones at there, but the media doesn't show that. Good doesn't sell. I know this because I have spoke with news stations. I have done numerous papers on poeple's hate of pitbulls and that lack of knowledge those people have of them. I love boxers and very much so want to be a foster parent to a few, but I have the same love for pitbulls. I respect that people may take offense to having their boxer called a pitbull, but I expect people to respect my views on the pitbull. I didn't start this conversation to be an arguement but rather I watned to inform people that it isn't such a bad thing to have your boxer be called a pitbull. Pitbulls are a wonderful breed as is the boxer. The pitbull has a bad rep b/c it is proven that at of every dog they have the highest tolerance for pain and the strongest jaws of any dog. Thus if in a fight they will take down just about any dog or person. A boxer can kill too, it is up to us as the owners to control them.
    Just so you know, many of the pitbulls are taken through training courses. I know that many boxer owners don't do that for their boxers as many pitbull owners don't do put their dogs through it. Also a little more FYI, i have all the new owners of my dogs screened and sign a contract stating that I can visit my dogs whenever I chose and if they are treated wrong or used for fighting, by law, I obtain ownership again. So I am doing my part.
    How many boxers do you know are being used for police work? I can think of ummmmm, None! I know of pitbulls being used for the police force for sniffing out narcotics. Pitbulls are used for good, if you researched breeds before you talk about them, than you would know.

5. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Boxer being used for Search and Rescue

Oh.....that makes all the difference in the world. :) No, you go back to your original post. You condemned all Boxer lovers who voiced concern at having their beloved Boxers labeled dangerous simply because of the reputation of Pit Bulls.

Too bad you don't listen to your own words. But again, that would be Leading By Example which is clearly a belief you don't subscribe to. Listen up and learn - I happen to have bred an AKC Champion Boxers who is also owned by a local Sheriff and is used for Search and Rescue. Guess that blows your theory of no police trained dogs, huh? And for the record, during the disappearance of Polly Klass, 2 BOXERS were used for her Search. They were local Boxers bred by a long time local show breeder. Also, for the record. Beagles and Bloodhounds are used for Narcotics sniffing more than any other breeds. Both Narcotics patrol and Search and Rescue are very select in the breeds they use. They need a high prey drive and an air sniffing breed. I won't pretend to know the uses of Pet Bulls in Narcotics, but I certainly know the overall uses of Boxers.

Gets back to my Lead by Example lesson. You say you know where your puppies are. That is great and a good first step. But what do you do with your dogs? Since you are preaching their value, what do they contribute to society? I again ask: Have they passed a CGC test to prove their obedience and temperament? Have the passed the ATTS test to prove their temperament? Have they passed a Therapy dog test and are active in such work? Rather than cast hatred at me for no understanding, why not brag to me how wonderful they are and what they have accomplished?

I have love in my heart - just ask my wonderful Boxers :)
    :) :) :) :)

6. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Enough is enough already!

Discussion is welcome here but flames and personal attacks are not. Everyone is entitled there own opinion. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that they are necessarily wrong!

This thread is being closed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.