1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxers are NOT pit bulls!!!

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Titus-n-me, Feb 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titus-n-me

Titus-n-me Boxer Pal

ARGH!!!
    I am writting this because I am so (excuse the language) pissed off!!! I took Titus to Petsmart today to get some toys and a new dog food bowl. While we were there I had three different people ask if he was a pit bull. Hello?!?! Does he look like one? no- I dare say not! One woman hurt Titus' feelings by pulling her daughter away from him and almost screaming at me to keep my pitbull away! Titus was heart broken! He loves children and to have that woman yell at him and yank her kid away from him broke his little heart. He didn't understand. No consoling her would help- I told her he was a boxer- very friendly but she wouldn't hear any of it. It made me so angry I left right then, not getting anything- and bought Titus a hamburger on the way home. The ignorance of some people! Does anyone else have this problem? I am always having to tell people he is not either a pit or a dane. Duh- some people are so stupid!!!

2. Joodles

Joodles Boxer Booster

Both my Boxers have been brindle, and yes, people do mistake them for Pit Bulls. I try to make my dogs ambassadors for their breed. We have an elementary school nearby, and often go walking at the same time that kids are getting out in the afternoon. So Butch and Zoe always got lots of loving and petting. Usually the kids are fine, and most of them recognize a Boxer. It's the parents that panic. You can't do much about people who are unreasonably afraid.

3. Jaelle

Jaelle Completely Boxer Crazy

I never herd someone taking a boxer for a pitbull, but I know many people are afraid of boxers. And I choose this breed because they are very nice and social dogs, nice with children! The only thing we can do is be ambassador for our breed (like you said Joodles) and have well socialized and trained boxers so the public opinion may change.

4. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Not a Pitbull

No one ever mistakes my two fawn kids for Pitbulls. But my 8 year old is a plainly marked dark brindle bitch with cropped ears. To be honest, I don't mind people thinking she is a pitbull in that it makes someone think twice about approaching me. If they ask in a polite way, I introduce them to Crystal, have her shake a paw and generally put them at ease. But if I don't like the look of a person I would rather they just went on thinking she was more of a dangerous dog. She is a lovey dovey girl who just happens to look mean :)

5. ninersneal

ninersneal Super Boxer

I have had, mostly children, ask if Roxy was a pitbull. Alot of people will stay back away from her as well. I tell them the only thing they have to be afraid of is she may kiss them to death :).

6. Kim Y

Kim Y Super Boxer

Recently, I stopped at McDonald's for Oscar's weekly french fries. We stopped at the first window to pay and Oscar was very excited about getting his Milkbone and the french fries. He was all tongue and wiggles trying to angle his body across mine. The young girl at the window immediately freaked out (he was no where near touching her) and said OH MY GAWD, I'M NOT GIVING THAT DOG A TREAT!!! WHAT???????, I asked. "It's one of THOSE dogs!!" (mind you, he has natural ears). What dogs??, I asked again. THOSE DOGS!!!, she replied. I explained he was only a puppy and that he was a Boxer. She calmed down (a bit). I also told her it was good to have respect for an unknown dog but to ask the owner before jumping to conclusions. :) She gave me the Milkbone and we were on to the next window for Oscar's fries. :) I've heard a few people mention the "mean dog" when we've been out and about (Oscar is all tongue and wigglin' his heiney off). I usually don't say a word as I have the feeling with most of these folks, I'd be wasting my breath. I really appreciate being in PetSmart and have parents ASK if their children can pet the doggie. Oscar loves it and the kids learn to ask before approaching an unknown dog.

7. Pit Bull?? NOT!!!

Ok, I'm glad it's not just me and my Baxter... Geez; these people need to get a clue!Baxter is the most beautiful, loving animal..and he's a brindle with natural ears... He's still a puppy (8 mths) but I have kids and adults crossing the street to avoid us when we're walking!Even when he was 15 lbs and 3 months old!
    Believe it or not; this happens SO much ,I now carry a picture of a pit bull with me to show people the difference.

8. Titus-n-me

Titus-n-me Boxer Pal

Thank you all for your feedback! its good to know others have this "problem" too. People who actually know the breed tell me how wonderful he is and don't hesitate to pet and tickle Titus (much to his delight) I now have settled down about the issue. I wrote on the subject when it was still a fresh wound. It just broke my heart the way that woman reacted- Poor Titus didn't understand what he had done wrong. Some people- sheesh!!!

Anyway- Thank ya'll for writing. -Sarah

9. boxerblessed

boxerblessed Boxer Pal

Pitbulls aren't BAD either!

I'm replying ot this b/c these threads have pissed me off. I have a pitbull and plan on getting a boxer real soon. I just go tback from a pitbull show and there were plenty of children there and they got along just fine with ALL the pitbulls there. I think that it is rude for you guys to knock the pitbull. This whole trhead was about ppl knocking the boxer saying it looks like the pitbull. Don't be hyprocrites!!!!! Our pitbulls are around children all the time. My b/f's brother has 2 pitbulls and a litter on the way and he has a 3 and 5 year old that beat up on the dogs and take it. DO NOT DISCRIMATE ON PIT BULLS.

10. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Re: Pitbulls aren't BAD either!

Of course you are entitled to your opinion, but you have come to a BOXER board. There are too many irresponsible Pit Bull owners that fight their dogs and use them in gangs. If you are an honest person you will agree with me. I don't discriminate against your breed but I do discriminate against having to share the evils your breed owners have done. In the SF Bay Area there are hundreds of gangs that breed Pits for fighting. I am sure there are some good dogs but I have seen too many bad. Unless I trust the owner to be a competant owner I will not approach their dog.

Again, this is a Boxer board and full of Boxer lovers. No one has to defend themselves against you disliking the comments you see. You have a right to defend your breed but you are probably just going to anger the Boxer lovers you are now condemning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.