Boxers / Apartments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan

Boxer Pal
I am very interested in getting a boxer but I live in a medium/large sized apartment. I work from home so exercise for the dog would be no problem,however my question is , will the dog be happy enough in an apartment ? i.e. without a garden.

Also,is the average height for a male around 60 cms ?

Thank you

Alan

Sierra

Boxer Buddy
I think a boxer would do fine in an apartment as long as you took the dog for a couple of long walks a day. Once the boxer reaches 2 to 3 yrs they settle down nicely though they are always ready and willing to play.

Barney--Brindle 13mo. male/n natural ears
Remmy--boxer mix 18mo. male/n <foster>
Samson--Fawn Rainbow Bridge I miss you!

Jenn

Boxer Buddy
I have the same question. Right now my puppy lives in my house with 2 parents, myself and 2 sisters, and a yard. I am moving soon, and taking him with me. He'll have plenty of walks and excercise, but it will be a definite lifestyle change for him not to have a yard to just hang out in, which is what he does a lot of now. Now all of his outside time will be walks and going to the park.

Eva

Boxer Booster
I think a boxer in an apt. will be fine, just as long as they get enough exercise, and it sounds like you have already thought of that!
smile.gif
I live in an apt. myself, and I have two wonderful baby boxers. Sometimes it gets a little crazy in it when they decide to wrestle (LOL) but they are very happy and content. Boxers are very emotional and love to be around people, so they are usually very happy anywhere, just as long as they are around people too. It wouldn't do me any good to have a backyard anyhow, as Roxy will jump a six-foot fence (I have seen her do it!) because she can't stand being alone!! Best of luck to you!

Eva

------------------
**VERY PROUD MAMA OF**
Roxy Ember Gitzes - Adopted at 7/99, 1 1/2 years old, female, fawn, natural ears

Kaiser Joe Gitzes - rescued from a shelter 7/00, 6 years old, male, fawn, cropped ears

[This message has been edited by Eva (edited 07-31-2000).]

Billysmum

Boxer Insane
but what do you do abut house training? Presumably you'll have to go our your door into a hallway and maybe down some steps too. will the puppy be weeing all the way along the hall and stairs?

------------------
Helen
Billy, 3.5 yrs red/white dog, black face, docked tail
Tommy, 6 mth Rottweiler dog

D

dpasto

When I got my first boxer my husband and I lived in a townshouse that did not have a yard at all. We walked / jogged with her once a day and played alot in the house. When we sold our townhouse, we moved to an apartment for 1 year while we waited for our house to be built. At this time we had two boxers (Brid about 3 and Killian about 4 months). Again we walked / jogged with them and would take them to the tennis court and toss a t-ball around. I may be bias but I know my dogs were always happy and received lots of love and attention because we had to make the time to exercise them as oppose to just putting them in a yard.

------------------
Bridget - 7 yr. old flashy fawn female cropped and docked (the enforcer)

Killian - 4 yr. old dark brindle male dark mask cropped and docked (big love bug)

Darcy - 2 1/2 yr. old flashy brindle female cropped and docked (bad to the bone)

www.pastoboxers.pages.petsmart.com

Boxerworld

BW owner
Staff member
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Eva:
I think a boxer in an apt. will be fine, just as long as they get enough exercise
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree completely with Eva
smile.gif

Olly

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Markus has spent his whole life in an apartment. The first 5 yrs on the second floor. Last year we moved to a ground floor apartment, so we now have a fairly large patio area so Markus gets to go out and lie on the grass in the sunshine.

He still won't go to the bathroom out there though and I really wish he would, if only to pee. I think he thinks it is part of the house.

Markus usually gets 5 walks a day, 2 long and 3 short. I think dogs are just fine living in an apartment as long as they get lots of exercise. Most dogs don't exercise themselves much in the backyard anyway, unless they have someone to play with.

Helen,

When housetraining, you just pick them up and carry them outside. No accidents that way.

Jan

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

nanabear

Banned
I agree with all of the above. I think a Boxer would do fine, but DON'T UNDERESTIMATE the exercise part!
Also, is there a place where the dog could look outside? That entertains my dog like a TV set.

MarinaS

Boxer Insane
I've been living in apartments for all my life so Tina has been living in apartments too. I am sure she is happy enough there - she is allowed to run, jump and play inside, to lie on beds and sofas, etc. We were lucky to live on the sea cost with lots of fields around, and now we live by a forest and a field so Tina has much space for a free run. As for house training - the previous apartment I lived in was on the 4th floor in the house without a lift and I was told walking down and up stairs can harm puppy's spine so I carried her down and up untill she was about 6 months (pretty heavy, I must confess
smile.gif
). Within these months I lost about 20 punds (was good for me - hee hee). of course a pup wouldn't pee if you have it in your arms, so Tina soon understood she can pee only outside. You can try this trick too.
Best of luck,

------------------
Marina (Lelu)

Status
Not open for further replies.