Boxers and Pools

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecre

Boxer Pal
I was curious how many here have backyard pools? We have one, and if Philo is off leash in the backyard, we are closely watching him. He shows some curiosity about the pool, but mostly avoids it. Once it warms up, I plan to introduce him to the pool if only to make sure he knows how to get out should he fall in. We moved here when my last Boxer was 7 and he totally avoided the pool, but we always kept an eye out on him as we will do with Philo as he goes out off leash more and more.

I know many Boxers do not like water, and I'm not sure if Philo will or won't. My question is this - if he DOES like the water, how will I train him NOT to get in the pool when I don't want him to? I'm thinking I'd have to correct him every time for a while before he "gets" it. I'm interested in other's experiences. Thanks in advance!

Gunther

Super Boxer
Well training is preferable to correction. I never had a pool. But top of my head I'd treat the pool like a front door. My guys did not go out the door till I told them.

They were trained no corrections,if they broke the rule bad dog back in the house.

When the time comes say pool time maybe? You'll have to teach him when he can and can't go in.

But hopefully someone with a pool dog can chime in?

Kisaq

Super Boxer
I agree. Treat it like the front door.

But do be sure to teach him how to swim and how to get out of the pool in case he falls in.
I need to do the same with my boy because of the numerous ponds around here.

I'd put "get in the pool" on a command too - same as "in the car" or "on your bed" or "say hello" for greeting people.

Gunther

Super Boxer
OK now that I've been reasonable.:) I'm gonna say that for "me" if I had a pool first then got a dog second. I would be willing to accept that at some point in time I was going to have a wet dog coming in the house.

My BullMastiff/Pit was also part lab. no way in Hades, would he be kept out of a pool! I'd adapt... if your wet, you go here! A special dog bed for wet dogie in the house. :)

But hey that's the way I roll. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.