Boxers and Babies??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizBev

Boxer Insane
Take a look in my gallery. This is my sweet Five ( a real momma's girl) protecting her baby. They are really very good around babies and the biabies seem to really love the dogs except when they give them big sloppy kisses.

Bev

Knye2001

Completely Boxer Crazy
Congratulations!! I'm actually due in about 5 days and was a little worried in the beginning!! I dont' think Apollo will have a problem now. As we put the room together, he got to help. He was purple for a while!! :D I also have played with all the toys that the baby has so that he has gotten used to the new sounds of those - he was afraid for a while, but now doesn't care. He's smelled all the new clothes, the diapers (clean of course), and all the lotions!! He really likes the new Johnson's Milk lotion!!!

We plan on bringing a blanket home with the baby's scent before baby actually comes home so that he can get used to it. We have the carseat in the car so he can get used to having to share the backseat. Let's see, what else. We just put everything in it's place so that he's already used to less room in the house due to baby necessities (bouncers, bassinets, and such). I would also recommend continuing with obedience training!!

Also - a thing to remember when you bring your little one home, make sure you don't freak out when he gets close to the baby!! Don't ever leave them alone together because dogs will be dogs, but make sure that you don't overreact the first time they meet and the baby gets a good lick!! They are bonding then!! Some say to let you dog lay next to you while you feed the baby so they feel like they are a part of it too!!

There are a lot of articles on different things to do, but these are all the ones that made the most sense to me!! Good luck and have fun being PG!!

JoeT

Boxer Pal
My boxer, Auggie, is an eleven year old fawn male that we have had since he was 8 weeks old (he was a wedding present from me to my wife). Auggie was our baby and the center of attention for us for quite some time. We have had three kids since then (a 7 year old boy, a 4 year old boy and a 6 week old girl).

I could not have asked for a better dog with the kids. He is wonderful with them. My boys insist that he sleep in their room and Auggie wouldn't have it any other way. We never got uptight about Auggie smelling the kids or the occasional lick and have always loved him and paid as much attention to him as we could. He has never been shy about seeking some attention, but Auggie has never even given the least indication that he would ever do anything to harm one of the kids. I have seen Auggie just grin and bear it when one of my boys would either pull on his ears, muzzle or tail or poke him in the eye when they were very small and just learning how to get around. One of the cutest things I have ever seen was when I discovered my boys (5 and 18 mos at the time) curled up with Auggie for a nap in Auggie's bed one afternoon.

All dogs are different, but my experience is right on with boxers' reputation for being great with kids. We have a newborn in the house now and he is great with her. He loves to sit at my wife's feet while she is nursing the baby and will go to her room and nap during the day when she is in her crib. I think that he is looking after her.

Good luck with the baby!

JoeT

trudy

Completely Boxer Crazy
Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

Trudy is 18months old and we brought home our first baby last monday...

I let my husband carry the baby through the door so that i could greet Trudy as it had been a few days since she saw me...We let her smell his blanket and his hat and after she had calmed down a bit we took him out of the carseat, put her in a sit stay and introduced the baby to trudy..She gave him a big ol sloberry kiss and rested her head on his belly and since then they have become friends..

The most important thing i would say is do not disinclude the dog...when I am feeding the baby Trudy is usually right there with her head on my lap I hold the bottle with one hand and pat her with the other...when it is time to change the diaper, she comes with me..I let her get as close as she wants to him but as soon as i see her little nubber start to get a little to excited I just tell her enough...

Also when someone else is holding the baby i always sneak in a quick game of fetch with her even if it's just up and down the hallway a few times...

She is Lucas' biggest protector and his first best friend...I would say that you will set the pace try to be as relaxed as possible when that big boxer tongue swishes across your tiny, clean, little newborns face...

Good Luck!!

jaimie

Boxer Insane
I got Brit when I was 6 months pregnant. When we had the baby I was really nervous about how Brit would react. She fell in love with the baby and protected her like you would not believe. Brit even slept under the crib or right next to me, where ever Kelsey was. I just made sure I included her also. Her favorite time was when I would sit down to nurse the baby that was Brit's massage time. I would sit on the couch with the baby eating and Brit sitting on the oppposite side of the baby and rub Brit's belly, and massage her favorite spots on her neck she looked forward to it and would get all wiggly when she would see me sit down to feed the baby. A lot of people push their animals away when the animal comes to check out the new smells. When the hospital nurse came to my house 2 days after I had Kelsey, she told me to let Brit kiss the baby all she wanted-on the head or toes. Never to punish for the kissing, remember you can always wash the baby off. Congratulations and Good Luck!

Jaimie

Status
Not open for further replies.