1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

boxers and autism?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by kaitymacsdad, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaitymacsdad

kaitymacsdad Boxer Pal

We've had Trixie home for a couple weeks now. She will chase Kaitlin my 5 year old around but is alot more calm and gentle when she's around Mackenzie our autistic daughter. Trixie will lay with her for hours. If Mackenzie is home Trixie is normally pretty close to her. I know there are other animals that can "sense" autism like donkeys of all animals but has anyone else had experience with boxers and autism.

2. caruse

caruse Boxer Insane

I cannot speak to having experience in that, but I really do believe it to be true that animals have an innate sense of these things....I think it is great!
    Barbaralovicon

3. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

I am training Sam my 2 YO for service work ~ we want to work with autistic children - any advice u can give me would be awesome !

so glad ur baby works well with ur daughter !

4. Althea

Althea Completely Boxer Crazy

You'll find there are some breeds -- and some dogs of any breed -- that are very sensitive, especially where children are concerned. I think a lot of it is body language, and some of it is simply their own sensing of the situation. How wonderful that your boxer has already picked up on the cues of proper behavior with different children! What a blessing! :)

5. alyssakitz

alyssakitz Super Boxer

That is super cool. My husband and kids got me a Boxer training magazine for my birthday (to go with the new puppy, LOL) and in it they discussed how Boxers are known for being gentle with children, the elderly and those who are frail.

6. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

Unfortunately, not all such stories have a happy ending. Our current boxer, Max, is a rescue. He was an owner surrender that came from a home with a 3 year old boy with autism. Unfortunately the boy wasn't always very nice to Max so Max developed some aggression issues. After spending a lot of money on behaviorists and trainers they finally decided that it was best to surrender Max to the local boxer rescue before he started biting. We are a foster home for the rescue and I volunteered to take him in because I was afraid no one else would and if he ended up at a shelter, he would certainly have been put down. Max is a very sweet and gentle dog IF he knows you and trusts you. He still doesn't like to be handled much but we are working on that and his fear of people he doesn't know. We ended up adopting him mostly because we really liked him once we got to know him but also because we knew it would take a long time before he would be able to overcome his issues and be ready for adoption. Now I am not suggesting that this was all because the boy had autism, this could happen with any child who isn't taught how to properly treat a dog or doesn't understand when it is explained to them. I am just saying it is a situation which requires a watchful eye so that it doesn't develop into something bad. I think in this particular case, it was a matter of a child who didn't know any better and a dog who wasn't nearly as tolerant as some others are. Just offering a little different perspective........

7. kaitymacsdad

kaitymacsdad Boxer Pal

Mackenzie is very gentle with all animals so we have been blessed it that area. She has learned to leave the dogs alone when the want to be alone,she doesn't pull them around or on their hair. Trixie just loves both the girls and the other dogs. Thanks for the replies.

8. kaitymacsdad

kaitymacsdad Boxer Pal

The severity of the Autism is a big factor. Autistic children for the most part have problems in knowing dangers. That's were the dogs come in keeping from the street and so on. The more sever the autism a high strung dog could do more harm then good. Calm energy and a watchful eye is what is need.The biggest problem that we are having is my mini eskies are very protective over our daughter so its been taking sometime to allow them all around our daughter at the same time.

9. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

i am a very bad anxiety disorder, but dont like taking meds. BUT somehow sam seams to know when i am going to have a attack .. and he becomes super velcro dog. noticing that is what made me decide to train him for service work , and lol ... makes me go place's besides just work !

so its a win win !

arnt these dogs awesome !!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.