Boxer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

Boxer Buddy
You don't say what part of Tenn you live in. I live in north Georgia and my two boxers are inside dogs. When I am not home they are in the house, we let them out into a large fenced in back yard (about half an acre) and after about twenty minutes of running an jumping and playing back there they are at the door knocking to come in. Kiki the male will go out and lie on th eporch for a while, but he doesn't like to stay out very long.
Foremost in this conversation is that boxers are very social dogs who need and crave human companionship.

My boxers love to go outside and play in the sprinkler, but they would be so upset if I made them sleep outside. They are inside dogs, they love the couch and too cuddle in bed with us. You say you are saving money for a fenced yard for your collie, why don't you invite him in to die comfortably with love and warmth, not a "fenced" yard. I know I would not want to be sick and dieing on dirt and grass. Boxers do not live as long as other dogs and are prone to cancer and other health problems, are you willing to be responsible for things like that? I have one more question, I don't mean to be rude but why do you call yourself a "boxer rescuer" when you have never even had one. A "boxer rescuer" would not "rescue" a boxer only to put him out in the backyard to be "played with". To rescue is to take in, to love, to cuddle, to make part of your family, not to be a backyard plaything.

Julie Davis

Boxer Insane
My 2 cents worth here.....I have to agree with the majority and tell you that boxers should not be left outside too long. Why have a dog if he'll be outside all the time? What's the point? Why bother at all? Why should "man's best friend" be left outside all alone? :( :( :( Boomer would just die of heartbreak if he had to spend more than a few minutes at a time outdoors away from us.

MD_Boxer

Boxer Buddy
Our 2 dogs love being outside, they will play all day outside and we have let them quite a few times. The have over 3 acres of woods to run that is enclosed by an invisible fence. Shelter, water and food to last all day but I don't think they would want to spend the nights outdoors. They are accustomed to sleeping on their beds. But at 6am every morning they start pacing to go back outside and run. I can assure you that my boxer can not handle the heat or extreme cold as my lab mix.

I commend you for wanting to help a Boxer and asking questions, I personally beleive that a boxer will have a harder time outdoors than your current dog. If a boxer is what you want then please consider the advice you receive on this board and make a decision based on what would be best for the dog.

Good Luck and don't be discouraged, we all are very protective of boxers (sometimes overly)

On a side note, why has it became a bad thing to have an outdoor dog? Thought I wouldn't personally want an outdoor dog, I don't understand why it has became so common this days to critize someone who has an outdoor dog. This is their natural habitat. As a volunteer with the local Boxer rescue and Animal Shelter, I have seen plenty of indoor dogs abused and neglected

As a kid my mother refused to have an indoor dog so my dad and us 3 boys built a kennel outside, heated it off the garage and rescued numerous of stray dogs that probally would have been died. They all lead happy lifes and where well taken care of.

Thought I agree that Boxer are not outdoor dogs but they do enjoy being outdoors.

Boxer Rescuer

Boxer Buddy
I guess boxers isn't for us right now.I live with my parents right now and they don't want any pets in the house (not even cats or small dogs),but we feed them good food mixed with can and treats.Our lab loves being outside and I thought since I loved boxers I meant adopt one.But I gotta notice that when it's winter my lab/chow mix grows very long hair and in the summer it shortens.And boxers don't....So I guess I can wait for a boxer so I could give it all.

fonda

Boxer Buddy
No No outside dog!

I am an active member of boxer rescue here in Ohio and I know the contract states you agree to keep the boxer inside. They do make house calls too! Just like several have told you if you want an outside dog then choose another breed. Boxers are not for you.

Greg

Boxer Booster
Right move

I'm proud of you Boxer Rescuer. You are making the right decision, by holding off on getting a boxer right now. After reading all the pros and cons of keeping a boxer outdoors permanetly, I glad you realize that a boxer is not a true outside dog. The fact that you live with your parents and they won't allow any pets in their home. It's best you wait until live on your own. I live alone with my Boxer boys and they are the best companions I could ever ask for. They love outside to run and play, but they could not handle being outside permanetly. So I comment you on your decision and glad you brought this subject up on the forums. Now I also know the feelings of boxer owners keeping their boxer kids outside. Good Luck

Angel

Boxer Booster
Please ... don't

Boxers depend on your complete companionship much like children. They crave lots of love and attention. Placing a Boxer outside the house would be a big mistake. Their loving temperment would be destroyed. I would suggest you get a more independent breed if you plan to leave it outside. Boxers will go to great measures to get your attention if left alone.
Phyically Boxers CANNOT handle out doors for long periods of time. In the winter thay have short coats with hardly ANY body fat to keep them warm. In the summmer thay cannot handle the heat because they have short noses and barreled chest and that makes it very hard for them to breath. They pant to cool there bodies off. They can't sweat like we do. Therefore, we can take the heat better than they can. I am asking you please do not get a Boxer if you plan to keep it outside. Even if you spend lots of time outside with him/her it is not enough. You are asking for trouble.
I would suggest whatever breed you decided to go with keep it inside. It is a whole new experience. You develope a much better relationship with your pet and it is VERY rewarding. I have a Boxer and they are VERY clean dogs. AS long as you feed them a proper diet and brush them weekly. I also have a long haired Black Lab, inside dog. I just invested in a good vacuum to get up all the shedding hairs in the summer. I also do not allow them in the kitchen. But they are free to go anywhere else in the house. You will have to make a few minor adjustments when having an inside dog but it is well worth it, I promise. So maybe you should open your mind up a little a let your next loved one stay inside with the family.

Last edited:

Angel

Boxer Booster
Agree

I agree with Greg. I didn't read the post where you decided that you will wait to get a Boxer when you have your own house. It is great that you are doing you research. I know how it is when living with parents that leave the family pets outside. It is good that you spend lots of time with your lab/ chow. I am sure that oneday you are going to be a WONDERFUL parent to a Boxer of your own. BTW ... I have since change my parents mind on outside pets. Now their Boston Terier stays inside.:)

Boxer Rescuer

Boxer Buddy
Ya,I love to spend time with my pets and I love Boxers.But I don't know if I'm going to make it without one right now lol :( I want one then more after looking at all those photos of your boxers,they are so sweet and so pretty :eek: But I guess I can wait so he/she would be inside the house.I read yesterday that boxers are not outside dogs,so I'm going to buy that and what yall have told me :D Maybe I could get my parents to trie and have a housedog,they had one in the past and think all dogs are going to puddle instead of waiting to be let out and go.I would love to house trian a puppy,since I love to train,groom,give a bath and brushing thier teeth.Or I could trie and let the cat in and then start on a boxer,all I know is I know I'm going to go crazy,cause I can't stop looking at pictures LOL
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.