1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxer vs. Goose guess who won?

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by jennifer zaidan, Dec 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jennifer zaidan

jennifer zaidan Boxer Pal

Okay, so boxers are supposed to be courageous and bold with a heart of gold....HA!

I live next to a huge park and we have lots of geese. Tanner likes to chase the ducks, (Don't worry no ducks were harmed in the posting of this story.) so I thought it would be okay to let him chase one measley little goose. (Think Christmas dinner)

Tan approached the goose and it puffed out its chest and spread its wings and starting hissing and chasing Tanner!!!! I have never seen my dog run away from anything. On my way to rescuing my very confused pup, I was laughing my buns off. Needless to say Tanner no longer chases geese and he is a little leery of the ducks as well. I am safe from all burlars, but if a goose tries to break in, I might be in trouble.

Oh well, at least I got the "heart of gold" part right! :D

2. sunni_d

sunni_d Boxer Booster

:LOL: i can just picture tanner running his fastest with his little nub tucked under. My lucy is the same way. there are some things that scare the hell of her and others she won't budge on. But of course you were right about the hearts of gold.

3. mygirlmollie

mygirlmollie Boxer Insane

:LOL: I don't blame him one bit! Those geese can be very scary ...I have been chased by one myself!! They hurt when they bite :LOL:

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

I have to agree with the two above, they HURT when they bite, I would run too!smashicon

5. smalladie

smalladie Boxer Buddy

That is so cute! My Sable is the exact opposite. "She's not a Boxer...She's a Chicken" (That's our montra in this house. Sable is scard of EVERYTHING! Well everything except the vaccum cleaner. That is a giant monster and she's proctecting Mommy from it. Go figure

6. luvfritz

luvfritz Boxer Pal

I can see the Chicago Times now - "Boxer is goosed in park" Unlike some office parties - Tanner didn't get his Christmas goose! My Fritzi is afraid of balloons - go figure!

Barb

7. jess

jess Boxer Booster

All of my dogs are afraid of my drake duck before we fenced the yard he would chase and bite the dogs. I once had to pull him off of Bissy's lip when she was a pup. Now that the yard is fenced the Drake stalks the fence line and sticks his neck through to bite any dog dumb enough to get close to the fence. The Ducks have a pen but during the summer they are let out to roam around the yard. The dogs aren't the only one afraid of the drake though if he is loose and hubby wants to go outside he makes me go put the ducks up before he'll get off the deck. Seems the drake doesn't like Mark much either and goes after him every chance he gets. Must be the duck knows hubby goes duck hunting and is seeking his own revenge.

8. jennifer zaidan

jennifer zaidan Boxer Pal

Ha! I am glad to see that your duck is the dark avenger for fowl everywhere.

Come to think of it, Tanner is afraid of helium balloons too. Maybe he is really a 'fraidy cat in boxer clothing. ;)

I might have to do some "baby-steps-to-the-balloons" therapy with him...

:D

9. Robyn

Robyn Completely Boxer Crazy

I have to share this..

Very early last spring, my father saw a little tuft of yellow on the side of the road and stopped to investigate. He spotted a little goose/duck, at the time we were not sure which. My father looked around for the mommy and then not knowing what else to do he scooped up the baby and put him in his truck. He was afraid he would have been hit by a car otherwise. To make a long story short, it was decided that my brother's family would try to raise the goose. We all fell head over heals in a short time for this wonderful feathered creature and my neice let me name her, Daphne. My neice and brother took wonderful care with Daphne and no goose ever had it better! My brother built a pen in their basement (along with the rest of my neice's menagerie), and actually put a small pond in for her to swim in, which she loved. They also had a baby pool on their deck too. We would all get a kick out of watching Daphne bob under water and then speed faster than you can imagine round and round the pool. She followed my neice and nephew around the yard like she was attached with string. She quickly grew into a very lovely Canada goose with beautiful markings. She would quickly waddle over to you when called and would wrap her lovely long neck around your shoulder when you cuddled her and she would also come over and get in your lap when you sat Indian style on the ground or floor.

I must also tell you that Daphne was not exactly a "normal" goose, her beak was wry, actually very crooked and did not line up at all. She also appeared to have occasional seizures and we assumed that she probably had been abandoned by her mother on purpose.

While visiting relatives this summer, my brother had his father in law goose-sit. Daphne generally had free roam of the yard but also had a pen. Unfortunately, the fil did not see it necessary to bring daphne into the enclosed pen at night and left her in the other pen and a fox squeezed into the area. We were all heartbroken, especially my brother and neice. Daphne was a very special goose in many ways and obviously very intelligent despite her apparent handicap. No one in my family will every look at a goose the same way again.

It is their intelligence and strong sense of protecting the flock that obviously make them good gauard birds and a force to be reckoned with! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.