1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxer Tails

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Luke&GingerMomy, Mar 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke&GingerMomy

Luke&GingerMomy Guest

I'm asking a question for a friend. They are getting a white boxer puppy. It's purebred but because the breeder sees it as "non-standard" she didn't bother with getting the tail done. She did have the dew claws removed but that's it. What is the oldest age that a Boxer should have it's tail done?

2. Boxerworld

Boxerworld BW owner Staff Member

Two/three days.

3. Matt S

Matt S Boxer Insane

As Olly said 2 to 3 days for docking tails.
    Tails can be done later on but it then becomes like an amputation, rather than a docking, which is considered a major operation & really one that a dog needn't be subjected too. Plenty of boxers around boxerworld have tails.

4. lexismum

lexismum Super Boxer

tail docking

If you don't have to get the tail docked - then don't!

My girl was never docked either and now we have to have the tail amputated. I am devastated as she is 18 months old. This will be a painful procedure for her but is necessary now.

She kept breaking her "whip" tail open and now it can not and will not heal anymore.:mad:

5. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

Luke is 2 yo and he still has his tail, dewclaws and natural ears. I think he is very beautiful with his tail. You have never experienced a "real" kidney bean until you've seen it with a big old tail wagging full force. Our new show girl has been docked and it makes me sad to see her little nub with stitch marks where there was once a boxer tail.:( Good luck with your decision.

Tamara

6. cfhtlhii

cfhtlhii Boxer Booster

I unlike yourself assumed boxers were not supposed to have tails and it would be a simple thing to get it removed. I agginized over the ear thing but never considered not getting her tail done. She is 3 months and just got it done 2 days ago. If I had it to do over again I definitely wouldn't get it done. It looks so sore and she is so adgitated by it, keeps trying to dig at it. Much worse then the ears, which she also got done 2 days ago.
    Good luck on your decision!

Connie

7. Scorpio

Scorpio Boxer Insane

I would just leave it, a tail is so classy! someone on the board once said when we were talking about tails, that her boxer had its tail and they were so easy to catch that way!

8. lexismum

lexismum Super Boxer

Again though the problem is by leaving the tail on, later in life they can get infected. Lexi's tail is like a whip, it can actually leave a bruise on a leg when she is really excited. Because of that she has broken it open one too many times to heal and now her amputation will be extremely painful for her.

I was against it before but now ... the pain my girl is gonna go through is by far worse than a docking at the right age.

9. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

But this thread isn't about the merits of docking tails in neonates - this thread is about amputating a a dog's tail that hasn't been experiencing problems. I think the number of dogs with tails that do not experience problems far surpasses the few that do.

10. lexismum

lexismum Super Boxer

Agreed! If there is no problem with the tail now - then leave it be. Why make the dog suffer now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.