Boxer Standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

cali

Boxer Buddy
1. If their rear thighs are too muscled is that a negative?

2. I saw a female brindle yesterday @ the park and she had light eyes, does that mean shes pure breed or mixed. She looked 100% boxer to me but in every book Ive looked at ... Ive noticed light eyes are not common to the breed?

3. somebody told me their ares English Boxers. I thought their was only German & American Standard?

4. How strong are boxers, can they pull wieghts like other dogs such as Rotts, pits and alaskan mal...dogs? Boxers to me look like pound per pound they can pull with the best of the best.

smashicon smashicon

Nedra's_momma

Completely Boxer Crazy
Cali,
As far as hind legs being too muscular, here is what the standard says:
"Hindquarters - The Hindquarters are strongly muscled with angulation in balance with that of the forequarters. The thighs are broad and curved, the breech - musculature, hard ,and strongly developed. Upper and lower thigh long. Leg well angulated at the stifle with a clearly definded, well "let down" hock joint." -- Taken from "Illustrated Guide to the Boxer"

I know that eyes that are lighter than the base color of the boxer's coat are considered to be a fault in show, so light colored eyes are not the standard. The eyes have to be dark brown in color.

Not sure about the "English boxer thing". I have heard that too, and I am not sure what to make of it.

As I understand, boxers were originally bred to be war dogs by the Germans. Their jobs wre to assist wounded solders on the battle field and to drag them to safety. They were also bred to hunt bears and other large wild game.

Hope this helps!

JulieM

Boxer Insane
1. If their rear thighs are too muscled is that a negative?

The rear should be well-muscled but the standard also states "His well developed muscles are clean, hard, and appear smooth under taut skin." So musculation is good, but Mr. Universe musculation is a bit too much.

2. I saw a female brindle yesterday @ the park and she had light eyes, does that mean shes pure breed or mixed. She looked 100% boxer to me but in every book Ive looked at ... Ive noticed light eyes are not common to the breed?

As Nedra's Momma said, light eyes are a fault and are undesirable - but they do show up from time to time.

3. somebody told me their ares English Boxers. I thought their was only German & American Standard?

English Boxers are Boxers that were bred and/or born in England. If someone has Boxers from English lines, it means they have dogs in the pedigree that were bred and/or born in England.

There is the U.S. Standard, the Canadian Standard, the U.K. Standard, the Australian Standard, and the FCI Standard which covers Germany and most of Europe. (There may be more, but I think pretty much everyone else uses the FCI Standard. Matthew will probably know more about that.)

4. How strong are boxers, can they pull wieghts like other dogs such as Rotts, pits and alaskan mal...dogs? Boxers to me look like pound per pound they can pull with the best of the best.

Boxers probably can do some pulling, but like the Rottie and the Pit, they were not designed for it. The true pulling (sledding or carting) breeds - Malamutes, Bernese Mountain Dogs, etc. - are longer than they are tall, and more heavily muscled in the shoulders to allow them to forge ahead. Boxers are balanced front to rear, but require a powerful rear drive to allow them to efficiently pursue game.

BucsMom

Boxer Booster
Interesting

Hey. I was just viewing this post and must say. I've often wondered WHAT THE HECK Boxers were originally bred to do, I look at their BIG heads and think. OH! Vicious, killer, then I notice most of their personalities and think. NO, Best friend, and even in play biting, their mouths are so soft, and their body is so...hmmm, in most cases fat free, and just efficient looking. What you said about assisting soldiers and/or hunting makes sense. Hmmm? Thanks!

Nedra's_momma

Completely Boxer Crazy
Status
Not open for further replies.