1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxer Origin

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by FancyFree, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FancyFree

FancyFree Boxer Buddy

Ok, so I'm getting a puppy soon and maybe you could consider it from a backyard breeder. If I was to get health tests, hips, heart, etc and it fits the breed standard, could the puppy/dog ever be in the show ring. I know that I'm going to get some flaming for this question.

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Actually, the only requirements to show your puppy is that he be AKC registered and unaltered. That's for AKC-sanctioned shows, of course.

Testing of hearts, hips, thyroid, etc are pre-breeding tests. Just like the show ring is - it's sole purpose is selection of breeding animals. So, the show ring tests whether or not the dog resembles closely enough the breed standard in terms of his construction and temperament to be considered for breeding. And the health screening tests whether he's a good enough specimen from the perspective of not having genetic diseases to pass on to any offspring. Both are required before you can responsibly breed a dog.

Thus, backyard breeder, puppy mill or whatever the origin of your dog, providing he is registered and unaltered, then he can be shown. If it is just some fun with your pup that you're after though, then you might want to think about agility or obedience instead. They're generally the more fun activities for both participants ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.