Boxer Breed Predisposition and genetically inherited disorders

Rocco850

Super Boxer
I was looking through this website and it has a very informative section about diseases/disorders that occur frequently in Boxers. If anyone's curious take a peak, it answered some of my questions. :( This website also lists other problems with different breeds as well. You'll have to scroll down and click on "dog breeds" first.
Boxer Breed Predisposition
-Jenette

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
A very useful site indeed :) And a good reminder of why it is so important that *all* breeding stock are screened for (as a minimum) aortic stenosis, boxer cardiomyopathy, corneal dystrophy and hip dysplasia.

For members thinking of a new puppy - if your breeder can't produce satisfactory test results for these diseases (for both parents), please don't buy the puppy. Buy instead from a reputable breeder who takes the responsible route of screening for (and thus helping to reduce or eliminate) these genetic disorders.

Taliesyn88

Boxer Booster
A Very Useful Site!!!!

I just got finished looking over the web site that you mentioned. I found 5 disorders(at least) that Rusty has had. Right now, the vet is trying to discern whether he has Cushings Disease, Hypothyroidism, or Diabetes Insipidous. He drinks and eats continuously, and is inactive and lost most of the hair on his body. Although I only bought Rusty as a companion, the people who sold him to me were evasive when I asked them about reoccurring problems. Rusty has had 3 eye operations, tumor operations, plus many other tests well totally over $10,000.00. But, I do not regret getting him. And, I am lucky that I was the one who did get him. Although Rusty has had many problems, he still has a heart of gold, and has shown me more strength than any other human being could ever have. I do agree that dogs with genetic problems should not be bred, but I still think they deserve a chance at life in a loving home.

Wendy

rach5614

Boxer Pal
Wow,
Thanks for the site link, really useful. Lily has teenage acne and has been backwards and forward to the vets for it. I shall try her on some acne solutions as suggested. Thanks once again for the great site link.:cool:
kind regards Rach

anbuh

Boxer Booster
wrong advice from vet

Chaos has Acquired Myasthenia Gravis, the vet said it was okay to breed with the acquired form, but something told me no way !!! I am glad I listened to myself. Thanks for the link!!
anbuh

paulsboxers

Boxer Pal
Skin allergy

I have been browsing all of the skin related health issues and have a few questions. I live on 6 acres and have 2 crazy Boxers that love to run and romp in the woods. Around Dec. I noticed what looked like a scratch on the female when she came inside. Soon thereafter she began getting dry spots like scabs and lossing hair in the region of the scratch. I went to the vet and they did all of the usual things, change diet, thyroid test and daily Derm Caps. Very little change noticed so far. I was using Eukanuba and now we are working on Hills z/d. I know many people do not like these foods and I plan to change to something better but I wanted to give z/d a chance first since it was vet reccomended. Now my male is starting to get the same dryness and loss of hair. From the breed disposition website it seems like this condition may be atopy but they do not itch. They are both 2.5 years old - so I think they ruled out mange. I am scheduled to go back to the vet next week to discuss other foods and further tests. They seem very happy and not bothered by the condition except for the lack of treats. Any reccomedations? I am afraid I will have 2 bald boxers soon.

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Atopy is extreme environmental allergies. And it is characterised by a hgh degree of itchiness and scratching. In the absence of any itching at all, I wouldn't be in any hurry to sieze on atopy as the cause.

Are your male/female related? Incidentally, mange is only a condition affecting puppies, adult dogs can get it too - especially the sarcoptic variety. I'm sure your vet has done skin scrapes to rule out the mange, but just thought I'd throw that in there.

What occurs to me as a possiblity, given your description of the condition, is seasonal flank allopecia. Just a thought...

paulsboxers

Boxer Pal
Appreciate the response. Yes Max & Megan are brother and sister and we did do the skin scrapes to rule out mange. Researching some of the other postings on allopecia attributed it to lack of sun and reccomended melatonin. If my guys are not out running because of the weather they usually sleep in the window to soak up as much sun as they can get. In the nice weather they go to the beach almost every weekend. Should I start the melatonin and if so how much? I will probably take your advice and switch to a Wellness or Innova because we have been on the z/d for 2 months with no change. Thanks again!

gmacleod

Elusive Moderator
Staff member
Mmm. Well, if they're getting that much sunshine then it probably isn't allopecia either. How frustrating. It will be interesting to know if your vet has any other ideas.

If the Z/D hasn't helped then there is nothing to be lost by switching them over to a better quality food, so going to Wellness or Innova sounds like a good idea to me.