boxer as checked baggage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Boxer Pal
we are relocating from AZ to FL mid to late-january and trying to decide between flying and driving. does anyone have any experience with their boxers as checked baggage? we plan to take a direct flight either to atlanta or miami. there are weather restrictions for boxers, so miami may be too hot, but atlanta might be too cold. being in arizona, we've found that our 5 month old doesn't like the cold. any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Lisa Ann

Boxer Booster
I just relocated to Memphis, TN from Naples, FL. We drove, and it took 16 hours. Kaia did great! If your boxer likes the car, I certainly wouldn't rule out driving. It's MUCH less stress on your baby. She would be with you, rather than alone in a noisy, cold belly of a plane. If you do fly, Miami in January isn't too hot, and probably a better choice than Atlanta.

Zorro

Boxer Pal
thanks for the response lisa ann. we decided we are just going to drive. there's only one direct flight from here to miami, and in talking with AA, chances are it'd be just over their upper threshold of 75. the direct flight to atlanta would be too cold for him we think. he usually does well in the car, so we'll see. this'll be his first road trip.

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
When I take road trips with my pups, I keep the trunk clear and put down the seat so they have the whole back to themselves. It's darker under the trunk area, so they love to nap back there. If this is any help to you, great. If useless info, then I hope you trip is smooth and your pup will enjoy every minute of the ever changing scenery. Good luck!

tianthai

Completely Boxer Crazy
In your case I would drive too. I had a very heart breaking experience putting my dog on the plane. Good luck with your move!

Maggyboxer

Boxer Pal
We drove from Florida to Colorado with our Maggy and she did just fine. I think if you have time and can be flexible, stopping every few hours at rest stops can really break up the trip and make it more enjoyable. You can take your baby to go potty and on a short walk, we would stop for about 15-20 minutes and then our Maggy would go right back to sleep. Hope this helps! Be safe and good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.