Boxer and potted plants!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaoops

Boxer Pal
Hello all...

Suddenly my Maddux has discovered that knocking over the potted plant on our deck is really fun. And it's even neater the 2nd, 3rd, & 4th times after mommy cleans it up!!! HELP - how do I stop that?

------------------
aaoops
Maddux - male brindle boxer
Roxie - female rottweiler
see them here: http://maddux.new.home.pages.petsmart.com/index.html

nanabear

Banned
I think you have to do what you would do if your toddler was breaking irreplaceable knick-knacks in your home. Put them someplace else for awhile. I have found that "out of sight - out of mind" really works. And that you can put them back when a little more maturing has taken place.
If it was something you could always keep an eye on, as if you *lived* on the deck......
then you could use behavior corrections. But you are just not always there when it happens. Dogs live for the here and now - and that plant is SOOO fun to knock over, and man that dirt just goes everywhere! And if you can get it out of the pot and rip up the roots and run back and forth with it....WHAT could be more fun?!

aaoops

Boxer Pal
THANKS NANABEAR....

That is what I was planning on doing. I hope it works. He's such a sweetie. I also thought about buying him some more toys. I thought maybe he was getting tired of the ones he has and needed a change of pace.

------------------
aaoops

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I have to agreed with Nanabear. Take the toy away. Also, when Maddux does things like that, make sure that he doesn't see you clean it up.

------------------
Jan
Markus, dark brindle
neutered male, 6 yrs old

Gabi

Boxer Booster
Yes I also agree. At the time, although I got a warning about this kind of thing in puppy school, did not react until it was to late. Amy loves (to distroy) potted plants and I lost most of them. She still does it when left alone outside. She stubbs it with her muzzle and over it goes, then she runs around with it, shaking it all over. I have some pots now very high up on a table, but she still tries. I have recently lost some small potted bushes, I neglected to plant them in the ground immediately, I left them out in the yard (lazy me), so it happened again. Its easy to forget though. > Most potts are now at the front of the hous, out of harms way. And I still can't leave any bags of potting mix or pine bark etc.. where Amy can get to it, she will open them and make a might mess of it. The only real difference from puppyhood is that as a puppy she would go around digging out roots,bulbs and biting off branches etc... She has not done this for 2 years now.

------------------
Gabi
Amy/01.01.97/tan,black mask/spayed/natural ears

Mommy2Gus

Boxer Buddy
That's funny. Gus has recently decided that my peace lily plant, which is on the floor in my foyer, is fun to lick. It is really neat how the leaves bounce up and down when licked. The plant has been there since before I got Gus (1 year ago) and he only started messing with it for the past month.
rolleyes.gif
Silly dogs. He seems only to do it when he wants my attention though.

------------------
Kristie

Gus - 1 year 3 month, Fawn w/ black mask, white stripe down nose, white chest, and white toes (aka: Snaggle-Tooth)

Linda

Boxer Insane
Be careful! A lot of house plants are poisonous.
eek.gif

I wouldn't be comfortable having my dogs lick the plants. Turns out ALL the houseplants I have are poisonous. Have to watch them carefully so they don't eat them.

Kindra

Boxer Buddy
At least your plants being knocked over are outside. My two decided to play tug of war with one of my house plants. Do know how much fun it is to come home to potting soil all over the house
biggrin.gif
. It's a good thing I love them so much. Luckily they are getting older and things are getting better around the house.

------------------
Kindra (Winnie and Pocquie's Mom)
Winnie 1-1-98 flashy brindle female
Pocquie 1-3-98 plain reverse brindle

aaoops

Boxer Pal
INDOOR PLANTS??? ha!!! They would all die in my house - I am definitely no green thumb! I guess I'm lucky there. Although I guess he could take to chewing up the plastic ones - yikes - better watch that too!

and OOPS... on the "don't let him see you clean it up"!!! TOO LATE

------------------
aaoops

Status
Not open for further replies.