1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boxer aggression towards other animals

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Jodee426, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodee426

Jodee426 Boxer Pal

Hello, I was wondering if anyone out there has a "non-social" Boxer and how they deal with it? I have a 3 year old female Boxer, who I took to puppy class as a puppy and she did fine, and who also lives with a 3 year old German Shepherd mix. Now Lucy (the Boxer) gets along fine with Archie (the Shepherd mix), probably because they grew up together and I had Archie about four months before Lucy came into the picture. However, as Lucy matures, she is increasingly aggressive towards any other dog. It is horrifying to take her on a walk because she gets so worked up when she sees another dog, especially female dogs, and she gives off this impression of being a mean dog. She is totally the opposite of mean and has never shown an ounce of aggression towards any other human being, child or adult. I am not sure how to cure her of this without exposing her to other dogs, which just seems like an endless cycle. Any help and advice would be appreciated!

2. hudson78

hudson78 Boxer Booster

Hi there,

I'm not to sure I can be of much help as i'm going thru the same thing with our female boxer Ally who is 2.5 years old. We adopted her when she was just over 1 and she didn't seem to have this problem then but has developed a case of fear and leash aggression. It's exactly like you have posted, she loves people and loves our other dog and is the sweetest little girl around the house. We have a group of 4 other dogs, my brother in-laws 2 dogs(boxer and pitbull) and my buddies 2 dogs(both boxers)that we can take her for walks with and she loves playing with them but other than that she always wants to get at the dogs around the neighbourhood and it looks mean and vicious by growling and snarling. I think she is okay with these four dogs because she met the 'people' first and got the scent of these dogs before meeting them so she wasn't as defensive. She has gotten in a few fights(scary) and it usually happens after about 20 seconds or so after she meets a dog. I have her enrolled in a training course now and my trainer has said that she might never be fully trusted with other females. I'm gonna try this training but i'm not sure it's the answer either but like you I want to get her fixed up as the way it is right now my fiancee can't even walk the dogs cause she can't control 2 dogs especially when one is a 70lbs boxer who wants to eat other dogs. The training i'm doing is suppose to get your dog to listen to your every command, if you find any solutions let me know.

Good Luck.

3. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

Ask yourself what you want your dog to do when you see another dog and then go about training your dog to do just that when another dog is present.

If it is sit or down, then train the dog to do this each and every time you see another dog approaching.

You can't expect the dog to know what to do other than his/her instincts if you don't take the time to show the dog what TO DO and how to do it.

There are also Fiesty Fido classes available all over the U.S. Find one in your area or you can get a booklet called "Fiesty Fido" available at http://www.dogsbestfriendtraining.com

Good luck.

4. Jodee426

Jodee426 Boxer Pal

Thank you!

Thank you both for your help and advice. Hudson78, it was nice to hear someone else having the same difficulties, even though I am not glad you have to deal with it, too! Let me know how the training goes and if it helps. Tulsa-Dan, thank you and I will work on training her better. Our neighbor has two female dogs and one of them managed to knock down a fence board and come in our yard. Both Lucy and Archie were out and I was immediately worried about Lucy attacking the other dog. However, Lucy did not show any aggressive behavior toward the dog, and went in her kennel on the first command. So maybe I can use the neighbor and her dogs to help Lucy know acceptable social dog behavior. I'll have to ask my neighbor and I'll let you know. Thanks again!

5. Adelle

Adelle Boxer Insane

Given that Lucy didn't attack your neighbors dog in your yard it could be just leash aggression, one of my dogs is leash agressive in certain situations but off leash he is great with other dogs. The same sort of training applies even if it is just leash agression. You can do a search on boxer world and you will find more threads that discuss leash agression.

Good luck

Adelle, Finn & Nessa

6. luvfritz

luvfritz Boxer Pal

Our Fritzi is the same way, dog aggressive. She's never bitten but scares the heck out of everyone. Fritzi also doesn't like the people who go thru garbage bags looking for bottles :o We've had Fritzi since 6 weeks of age and she started this at about 2 yrs of age. She was well socialized - her and I went to the dog park everyday for at least the first 3 years of her life. Then when she started this aggression, dog park trips became less frequent. We added a rescued bichon frisee to our family 2 years ago and they get along fine. At first it took a lot of patience but the bichon is submissive so the relationship works. I'll look forward to hearing the advice you recieve.

Dan - thank you so much for the link - I emailed Aimee (at Dog's Best Friend Training) to see if there are any classes in MA.

Barb

7. Adelle

Adelle Boxer Insane

Hi Barb

If you do happen to find out about classes like that in MA I would love to know about it also.

Thanks
    Adelle

8. luvfritz

luvfritz Boxer Pal

I'll let you know, Adelle :)
    Barb

9. Jodee426

Jodee426 Boxer Pal

Thank you!

Barb and Adelle, thank you so much for your input and advice. I can't believe how sweet and helpful everyone is here, it is wonderful! I had not heard about leash agression before, but I will definitely be looking into that. It's just that I feel bad when I don't take her for walks very often, feel like I am letting her down as her owner. But the prospect of her scaring the heck out of nice, normal dogs who are out having fun with their owners is too overwhelming! I usually walk both Lucy and our other dog, Archie, at the same time (with help from family), and cannot bring myself to just walk Archie without Lucy. Both dogs hate it when one of them is gone, like to the vet, they cry, bark and carry on like there is no tomorrow (babies!). I keep hoping Lucy will learn from Archie because he is such a nice, socialable dog and is always willing to meet other dogs, but it does not appear to be working. Thanks again for the advice and I will look into the leash aggression!

10. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

There are a few links to some good articles on leash aggression on this thread (third post down):
    http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46555

Here is an article that offers some insight as well (the website is appears on seems to be offline):
    You can also watch your girl for signs of stress and calming behaviour and reward her for the calming behaviours - more info here:
    Calming Signals - The Art of Survival by Turid Rugaas

The Calming Signals booklet and video set is a wonderful resource for people who are trying to work through leash aggression with their dogs - details at:
    http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=A239

All the best with this - it can get much, much better with some work and understanding :)

Sharon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.