1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolting out of the garage door into the neighborhood...

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by lmorey, Dec 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lmorey

lmorey Boxer Booster

Every once in a while, Cash will get past us and go out of the door that goes to our garage when the garage door is open and makes a break for it. Usually it's when one of us is taking the trash out, or when my husband leaves for work in the morning and has his hands full (like this morning). It's frustrating because we're usually pretty rushed in the morning, and Cash just thinks you're playing with him when you're trying to wrangle him back towards the house. Is this just because he's wanting to explore, because he's young, etc? He will sit at the door, but has problems staying there when the door is opened (obviously). Does anyone have any tips to getting him back into the house when this happens, or how to prevent it from happening? Usually I have to act like I'm going back inside and just let him come back on his own, which is usually right behind me after I've made an idiot of myself running around and yelling at him to "get back in the house!" We don't live off of a busy street, but I'm still paranoid that he could get hit or see something and take off down the street after it.

2. ronkar

ronkar Boxer Pal

Diesel, our 7 year old, used to do that alot when he was 2-3 years old. As soon as he saw light in the door he'd take off and try and make us chase him. Honestly, we just had to be mindful of where he was anytime we had to open the door. And when we came home we had to open the door slowly. In any other situation his recall was good but it was something about slipping by us out the door that got him all riled up. What used to work for us to get him back was open our car door. Diesel loves car rides. We would call him and say "Lets go for a ride" or something along those lines and open our car door and he would jump right in. It was then we were able to put a leash on him and take him back in the house. Worked everytime.

3. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

This might sound really obvious, but how about leaving the garage door closed until you have closed the door going back into the house? That way, even if he does slip out into the garage, he can't go any further than that.

We all know they will take advantage of every oppportunity presented - it's up to us to make sure they don't get the chance :)

4. ehayes21

ehayes21 Boxer Insane

This is your answer right here. I have a bolter and it just comes down to making sure they don't get out of the house in the first place.

You might also try teaching an emergency recall. Here is a training article.

ClickerSolutions Training Articles -- Magic Emergency Recall Cue

5. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Have you worked on "stay" as well? That way you can put him someplace else in your home, tell him to stay and then leave and right before you close the door from the house to the garage give him the release command. You'll close the door long before he gets to it and you're good to go. It'll take time and commitment, but stay is VERY important. I agree with the above, it's really more about preventing it from happeningin the first place than fixing it once it happens.

6. lmorey

lmorey Boxer Booster

Thanks for the suggestions!

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the suggestions. I agree that it's more about preventing it from happening than anything else, and I made sure to stress to my husband last night to try to wait to open the garage door that leads outside until he is absolutely sure that Cash didn't follow him out.
    I do need to work with him more on "stay" and "place". He knows "stay" to an extent, but doesn't do so well if I leave the room. Regarding the emergency recall article, I need to figure out a word. He likes ice a lot, and that's sometimes how we get him to come in from the backyard if he is digging, but I'm not sure if that would work for an emergency command. I've got some thinking to do...

7. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

My boxer is a bolter also. He was really really really bad about it when I got him (which is why he was at the pound I'm sure). I would make him sit about 6 feet away from the door and stay whenever I was leaving. It took awhile, but eventually he learned. I still don't trust him, but he doesn't push past me to get out anymore. However if he ever gets the chance he's gone, even now that he's older.

8. Tojosmom

Tojosmom Boxer Buddy

Our boxer Scarlett was like that. She was 3 years old when we got her but according to the previous owners, it had been a problem her entire life. We have a fenced yard and she would dig under it if we were gone and often darted out the door before we had a chance to catch her. No amount of calling would get her to come back but sometimes if we drove around the neighborhood she'd get in the car. No matter how careful we were, she'd sometimes escape and unfortunately the last time she did it, she went quite a distance to a highway and was killed. So please be careful. We never let Rocky out of our sight but he has gotten loose a couple of times. Thankfully, he has stayed in the yard and it was no problem getting him to come back in but I still don't trust him to stay in the yard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.