boarding two - together or separate runs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
Neither of my two pet sitters are available for 4th of July, so it looks like I'll be boarding my two for a couple of nights. Dallas has been boarded before, and my vet recently opened a top-notch boarding facility, so I'm ok with all of that...but now that we have Gracie, I need advice on whether to board them together in one large run or have each of them in a separate run. I'm leaning towards putting them together so they'll have each other as company. The only thing I wonder about is mealtime. The woman I spoke with explained that they can feed one at one end of the run and the other at the opposite end, which would be what they are used to at home.

I guess the one reason I worry is that Dallas doesn't always eat when he's stressed (which he might be at the kennel - but perhaps less stressed if Gracie is with him), and I'm a little worried that he won't eat right away and Gracie "the vacuum" will run over and eat his food, too. But then on the otherhand, since we adopted Gracie, I've noticed that Dallas has gotten much better about eating his food right away, or at least standing at his bowl until he's ready to finish. I have not seen any aggression at all between them at mealtime. I feed them a few feet apart. Gracie always finishes first, and sometimes she'll wander in the direction of Dallas, but she never gets too close and he has never growled or snapped at her - he just makes sure he's positioned between her and his food. After they are both finished, they usually swap and lick each other's bowls.

Any thoughts? I was told that the kennel staff will certainly keep an eye on them and separate them if necessary. And if it's really not working, it's easy for me to come home - we are just going camping less than an hour from home, but I decided against taking the dogs because we are camping with a large group of people - I think there will be lots of chaos, lots of people who don't respect animals in the same way that I do - and probably too hot for the dogs to be outside all day since Dallas definitely won't get in the water too cool off. (I haven't figured out if Gracie is a water dog yet!)

mugs&guiness

Boxer Booster
I would definetly say together. I was trying to find a sitter for my two, but it looks like I'll have to kennel myself. I would rather them be together to keep each other company, than be alone and sad. And i am sure the staff will keep a watchful eye and nmot let your babies hurt each other. Just my two cents.

Rachel

ljnash

Boxer Insane
I always board mine together. The kennel I take them to has some *double* sized pens for two dogs. There is room for two beds, etc.

Lenore

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
What a rip off!

I just called to make the reservation and got quite a shock on the cost. Now I certainly didn't expect to be able to board two dogs for the price of one because I know it still takes more of their staff time with two dogs...but the second dog is only a 10% discount even if they are in the same run! I can actually put them in two separate runs cheaper than I can put them in a single run that's only half a foot wider (and same length) than the ones I would use if I went with separate runs. It just seemed outrageous to me, so I called another kennel I've used and found out their pricing is pretty much the same. UGH! I did know that having two dogs would be more expensive, so I guess I'm not really allowed to complain. It sure does make me appreciate my pet sitter, though. She's a steal and she loves Dallas (hasn't met Dallas yet). Unfortunatley lots of other people have realized what a gem she is and she's starting to be booked well in advance. I've just got to start planning ahead!

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
VTbxrFan said:
I just called to make the reservation and got quite a shock on the cost. Now I certainly didn't expect to be able to board two dogs for the price of one because I know it still takes more of their staff time with two dogs...but the second dog is only a 10% discount even if they are in the same run!

I hear you on this. Same thing here - book in my five and we only get a 5% discount on one (three runs). And, I supply the food! It works out to be a total of AUD$80 per day, with me providing the food.

Have given up, the dogs just come everywhere with us now smashicon

Sharon

Aimee

Boxer Insane
For our three, we pay $60 a day for a bedroom suite. Our kennel is excellent! With that said, all of our dogs are fed seperately at the kennel. If I'm not mistaken, they feed them all that way because it's safer. You will know a good kennel when you find one, they are always very accomodating! My vote is to board them together, it is typically less stressful for them if they are together. We also have a petsitter for our cats when we go away. We pay $20 a visit for 2 cats so $60 a day at the kennel feels like a steal to us :LOL: Our kennel provides outtings, atleast 5-6 each day, in 1-2 acre play paddocks not only because it wears the dogs out but also because it's got to be unpleasant to have to clean up messes in a bedroom suite. The suites are so cool, they have couches and a bed and crates too if the dogs want to go in them on their own. They have a ceiling fan and music piped in. I always feel confident that my babies are also on vacation when we go away!

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
VTbxrFan--

Have you tried Camp Canine (campcanine.com)? It's in Cary and I think they only charge $35 to board 2 together. It's 30, I think, for just one doggie. I realize they may be booked at this point.

Also, and I know this isn't ultra close to you, I am about to cancel Tae's reservation for July 2-5 (am on the 5th) at Petsmart in Raleigh. She has Demodex and the vet says she shouldn't be boarded. My neighbor will probably keep her for me. I don't know if they can board 2 dogs together, but their priced are quite resonable and the dog can participate in day camp or have a one-on-one play session. Obviously day camp and play cost extra...

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Becky

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
I have looked into Camp Canine before...I was really impressed with their facility, but didn't want to use them because of the mandatory deworming and flea treatment - I just don't like to treat my dogs for problems they don't have. (And actually - I just looked at their costs, and they charge $20 for the second dog - a little better that the one I'm using, but the cost for the first dog is a bit higher, so it nets out to be about the same.)

Aside from the cost, I am really happy with what I have seen at this kennel - well technically it's a rehabilitation center that my vet just opened, but they also do boarding - I can even have Dallas try the underwater treadmill while he's boarding (which would be great for him if he doesn't freak out!). It's also convenient to home, and since it's run by my vet, it's easy from a paperwork standpoint and making sure they have all the information on my dogs. And from what I've found in checking around, the cost structure is comparable to the other higher-end kennels in the area - I just expected a bigger break on the second dog, and it was a shock since it's been a long time since I've had to board even one dog. Now I have incentive to plan ahead and get on my regular petsitter's calendar well in advance!

BeckyNC

Boxer Insane
Yah, I was aware of Camp Canine's deworming and flea tx policies. They have what appears to be a neat program. I don't think it would be right for me girl, which is a bummer b/c it's close to my office! ...also, I didn't realize the second dog was so much. I guess it's been a while since I visited their website!

You are fortunate to have a good boarding situation already in place (or at least good options). I was excited to take Tae to Petsmart--until she was diagnosed with mange(!)--as I have heard good things about their set-up and she's gone twice for day camp and seemed to enjoy it.

My friends in Durham also use a pet sitter but she isn't "accepting" new clients as she's all booked up. They love her.

myrocky

Boxer Insane
Camp Canine makes you use a flea treatment and worming on the dog?! :eek: I didn't know that, I was aware of the bordatella vax but the other stuff just seems too much.

Becky which Raleigh PetSmart are you talking about? I live in South Raleigh and we have two of them not far from each other. Although one is newer and much better than the other one. Except the new one can't get their stuff together in regards to their vet hospital. I tried to make appointments with them three times, just so I could have a vet closer to us that had Rocks on record. And every time they cancelled the appointment. I told them that I was finding someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.