bloody ear

Status
Not open for further replies.

argosrocks

Super Boxer
any quick fixes to aid in ears that keep bleeding? my guy has a small circular wound about 5 mm in diameter that will bleed slowly,not flowing blood or anything,so i normally put quick stop (stiptic powder)on it to stop it,it scabs over,and about a day or so later,the scab falls off and back to square one,,the vet says its from the ears having so much blood flow,and to give it a few weeks,,,"a few weeks?" wow,which brings us to me asking anyones advice on the subject of ears and bleeding.

rena

Boxer Booster
Oh I feel for you! My Roxy nicked the tip of her ear as a puppy and it took forever (many months) to heal. The morning head shake made the walls look like a crime scene with all the blood splatter. Who knew ears could bleed so much. My only advice is a bandaid helped with the splatter. Good luck and will be interested in any advice offered.

argosrocks

Super Boxer
just got back from the vet and as i guessed,,,antibiotics,no swimming and keep it dry for 10 days to see if it heals,if not,,,,,,its amputation of the ear tip,,,isnt their anything out there in this day and age ,like a laser that could burn the nerve endings or arteries or whatever is causing it to bleed rather than cutting the tip off?just seems barbaric to me.

Owen

Boxer Pal
Oh no!! My husband had a boxer before I knew him who had the same problem. He was told that because of the pressure caused by the dog shaking its head the clot would never hold. I understand that after a long period of trying alternative solutions he had to amputate the tip. Although the dog made a full recovery he felt terrible about it and is always very nervous about our current boxer nicking his ear. From the description his vet gave him about pressure I would have thought maybe the ear would heal if you could find a way to bandage it to your beautiful boys head so that it wouldn’t move when he shook … just not sure how easy it would be to do that?!! Will keep my fingers and toes crossed that it heals up soon! Best of luck.

TossBranAbi

Boxer Insane
I would suggest that you get some EMT Gel and use it as well as keeping the floppy part of the ear secured to the head.

I went through the same exact thing and my mom did too with her dog. Both were healed by using EMT Gel (you can get it at Tractor Supply or search for a place) and then putting a bandaid on the area to keep the EMT gel on and then wrapping the whole head with vet wrap (Tractor Supply also) in order to keep the ear from flopping around.

In my experience, the wound is always broken open by the dog shaking their head which usually happens because healing wounds get itchy.

It is at least worth a try before having the tip amputated.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Last edited:

Tessa

Boxer Booster
We had a few months of CSI-like blood splatter a while back. What finally worked was dipping the tip of Tucker's ear in cornstarch and then putting a bandaid on it (then repeating the process twice a day). We had to go through several kinds of bandaids to find one that actually stayed on and it was just regular old band-aids (not the cloth or sport ones as they fell right off).

I definitely feel for you - good luck!!!

PS - mr. clean magic eraser works well for the splatter patterns!!

alyssakitz

Super Boxer
Just a thought, as I have absolutely no experience with this, but how about using some liquid bandage? The medical grade type is best - like they use in the ER in place of stitches. But I have seen some at the drugstore made by Band Aid brand. You just have to make sure it's super cleaned out before applying so you're not sealing in bacteria.

Good luck!

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
Casper had the same a while back, a small nick to his ear that just would not heal. It toof forever but just by trying to stop him from scratching it and applying antiseptic cream it eventually did.

boilerupking

Boxer Booster
one of my girls had an ear injury, and just as you described, would shake her head and cause the wound to re-open as well as splatter the walls with blood.
we got some vet wrap (it sticks to itself, but not to the wound or to fur) and flipped her ear flaps (hard to describe, but like if you would flip the ear to clean the inside, or when they shake their heads and one ear is left "inside out" ) so that the tips of the ear where it comes to a "V" meet on top of the head then secured the ears to her head with the vet tape, winding it around the head so the ears were flattened to the top of her head. wow, that's hard to describe without a visual. sorry.
anyway, she looked very silly and was not thrilled about the tape, but got used to it and it allowed the little nick to heal quickly.

Last edited:

boxerlvrs

Boxer Buddy
we have had that issue with our pups b/c they play alot and sometimes nibble on eachothers ears before we are able to stop them. something that helped us a lot was using triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin and keeping the scab and wound moist with it. it kept the scab moist and prevented it from drying out and falling off. it looked bad for a while but when the scab finally fell off it was to basically healed skin... hopefully this helps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.