1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"black friday"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bucca, Nov 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Letty

Letty Banned

Friends of our went to Pennslyvania to do some shopping this weekend. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to travel at this time of the year hope to some day though.
    Is it as bad as boxing day shopping?

2. Maxwell's Ma

Maxwell's Ma Boxer Insane

Black friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the U.S. All the stores have items at low prices from like 5a.m. till 11 a.m. or something like that. They only have a few of each item. People go to the stores and line up really early. Then all h*ll can break out. They sometimes fight over the items. It is just ridiculous as far as I am concerned. Merry Christmas! Ho Ho Ho.

3. Vela

Vela Boxer Insane

Hahah I never go out on Black Friday. People will actually fight over crap and push others down to buy things on "sale". Like the TV at Wal-Mart, 90 bucks! (Regular price 129.00, since it's garbage either way what's the point?) Christmas loses something for me if I have to deal with people like that so I mostly shop online. I just wait and watch and get sale prices and free shipping on most things so it actully costs me less in the end anyhow, and I don't have to wait in line or find a place to park. If I want something from Toys R Us I don't have to hope it's still there and drive to three of them to look for it, it just get it online. Same sale prices apply. You couldn't pay me to go out and deal with that stuff! I like to enjoy the holidays and dealing with "joe public" on a day like today makes me hate it.

4. jenjones28

jenjones28 Banned

"Black Friday" refers to the biggest U.S. shopping day (the day after Thanksgiving) when stores turn a huge profit. The "black" part refers to being "in the black" for the stores, but I think some shoppers might think it refers to their mood by the end of the day. :LOL:

5. hanley

hanley Boxer Insane

You couldn't pay me to go,can't take the crowds & rude people. When I do go shopping, I like to spend my money with the Downtown shops where you really see an owner & clerks that are glad you came into shop.I know you get more for your money,free gift wrapping,carry out & actually get waited on! Keeps the joy of Christmas alive, not like the big retail discount stores that run the big sales,you have to fight for an item, clerks aren't always nice,they could care less if you buy anything or not, just something about that customer service that rubs me the wrong way! Hanley

6. tugger

tugger Super Boxer

I LOVE shopping on Black Friday. It is fun to see how crazy people can get over a sale of an item. We were disappointed in one store that had ads for a 32 inch tv for 199 bucks. They only had 10 in the store, yet 100s of people lined up outside to get the bargain. Some of those people had been there overnite. I may add that we live in Wisconsin and Friday morning temps were in the teens.
    All in all I love to go out and see what is in the stores and have some comradrie with my friends.

7. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

I always go on Black Friday, never miss it. My DH and I were up at 4:00 AM and on the road by 4:30 AM. We scan the papers Thanksgiving Day and we plan our strategy ;) We usually have all the stores shopped and presents bought by 8:00 AM and we go out to breakfast and then come home and start the decorating. This year, ShaKira had a better idea and that was to crash on Mom's lap and fall asleep, I ended up falling asleep in the recliner as well, because when you have a 60+ lb dog in your lap you have no other choice. ;) I love to go out into the maddening crowds on Black Friday, my DH almost got punched in the face because he went up to the skids at Wal~Mart to get Cabbage Patch Dolls for my daycare girls presents and two women got into a scuffle and one of their fists just missed making contact with his face, however, she did hit the other woman and the police had to come out and do a report. People can be so ridiculous.

8. Linda/NJ

Linda/NJ Boxer Insane

No thank you! I did when I was younger. Now I have no patience at all. I can't stand crowds & driving around forever to find a parking spot. No thanks.

9. bodiboxer

bodiboxer Banned

Nope!! Just could'nt do it! I was a retail manager for yrs. I never had the day after thanksgiving off! (being the biggest shopping day of the year!) So I stayed home and enjoyed sleeping in and the peace and quiet! :) I'm telling you people can be brutal on black friday! Seen enough disputes to last a lifetime!

10. elbykitty

elbykitty Super Boxer

I used to hate black friday and stay in that whole day. Now I see it as a fun treasure hunt. My sisters and sisters in law take the philosophy of divide and conquer. One goes to Meijers, one to Walmart,one to Best buy and one to Younkers and we end up getting everything on our list. Then we all meet up before the lunch rush and have a blast talking about the crazy stories that happened that morning, I have seen 2 fights so far. Then Saturday is the day we go to all the 2 day sales. Woo Hoo lots of fun.
    Elbykitty
    Mom of Lilly and Oscar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.