Biting - REALLY confused...

Status
Not open for further replies.

luke

Boxer Pal
Our boxer puppy is going to be arriving in his new home in 5 weeks, and I have been researching the best ways of training him. I have found books and info which echo my feelings; don't go rough, be firm and friendly in the right places, and LOTS of reward. I'm just confused now:confused: - here in England the advice on biting tends to be 'DO NOT ALLOW IT EVER!'. This sounds fine, but surely it's instinct, and what if my dog does ever feel the need to protect his pack; if he's not been trained in restraint, he may go over the top! This would result in him being put down, under the Dangerous Dogs Act... Since joining BW I have heard the term 'soft biting' and 'handler protection' which, I assume does not involve the dog going OTT... What is the best thing for my dog and my family? I apologise for the length of this, and give thanks in advance for your time and thoughts:) .

myrocky

Boxer Insane
You will hear lots of different opinions on this subject. I for one am all about bite inhibition, this is teaching the dog how much bite is too much and what is appropiate. My reasoning behind this is exactly what you pointed out. If for some reason my dog feels the need to bite something I want him to know how powerful his jaw is and what damage he is capable of doing. Boxers have tremendous jaw power and my dog seems to be superdog in jaw strength :p so bite inhibition was the only path for me to take. I play rough with him all the time so everytime he would bite too hard I said "OUCH" and left him alone. He has come a long way and is getting better, he is a very mouthy dog so this has been a long path for us. However it is what you and your family feel comfortable with reguarding your dogs bite.

luke

Boxer Pal
thanks...

I now know what 'soft biting' is... This sounds good! You guys have been through this mill before, and I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me... My wife read your replies, and mentioned how we already employ this kind of philosophy with our 18-month-old boy... Play is encouraged, but when he starts slapping or kicking, we act hurt, not angry. It gives me terrible guilts, seeing his face go so sad, but it works; he comes up to whoever is acting hurt and puts his arms around them;) . I suppose my new furkid will be just as eager to get on with his family... I will use this bite inhibition, as it seems sensible to let him know what is an acceptable level of bite. Thanks again :) !

Status
Not open for further replies.