1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big puppy?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by nadialilb, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadialilb

nadialilb Boxer Buddy

My lil boy is now 6 1/2 months and weighs 49 pounds...does that seem to big for his age? I dont want him to be over weight in any way and just wondering if anyone has had any big males as puppies. Two different vets said he is very tall for his age...wonder what that could be from because all the other boxers i see that are his age aint that tall....

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

He was likely bred from large stock. My sister has a tall 90lb Boxer. He is purebred and his parents are AKC registered. It isn't anything weird, just that his parents were both bigger than the standard and they likely had one or more parents that were larger than the standard as well.

3. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Pictures would be nice. But as long as he's not fat he's just a big Boxer.

4. Kisaq

Kisaq Super Boxer

Mine was 67 lbs at a year old.
    He's tall and lean.

You should be able to see his last two ribs when he's standing but his back bone and hips should not be protruding - though the young ones do go through some gangly stages where it seems you just can't put weight on them.

Check with your vet and/or your breeder if you think he's overweight or growing too fast.

5. anglian

anglian Boxer Pal

Kaiser is 7 months old. We took him to the vet on friday and he weighed 28kg. If my conversion into lbs is right he is 61 pounds. He is tall athletic and healthy and both parents were a good size.

6. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

Same here... Big stock, 60 lbs at ten months. Expect her to be 85 lbs when she is done based on the size of her parents.
    Judge by the ribs, and if you know the size of the breeding lines that will help too.

7. Skidmoretx

Skidmoretx Boxer Buddy

My nico was 50 lbs at 7 months he was a good size but mostly muscle. Now my puppy is 12 weeks and is weighing in at 19 lbs he's a big boy but you can still see his ribs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.