1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best time to neuter

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by dtmom, Nov 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dtmom

dtmom Boxer Buddy

Tux will be 6 months old at the end of this month. I was just wondering when would be the best time to neuter him? Should we wait till he is a little older or do it as soon as possible?The vet said that since his testicles have pretty muched dropped, that he could do it anytime. I just didnt know if it was better around 6 months or wait when he will be more like 9 months?

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I would wait until a year or so.

3. chrystel

chrystel Boxer Insane

I would wait 2-3 years old or later... ;)

4. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

I am waiting until Titan is 18 months old.

5. lsimmo

lsimmo Boxer Pal

Just wondering why it is better to leave a male dog longer to neuter. We are picking up our pup tomorrow and i always thought it was better to do it early as it is ment to calm the dog down. Is this not the case?

6. CrazyCharlie

CrazyCharlie Completely Boxer Crazy

There are so many theories and different opinons on this subject. Some wait so long because they think their dog will not grow to its full potential, other do it early to avoid agression or because they want a calmer dog.

Really its up to you. Your dog is going to grow no matter when you snip him. Your dog is also only going to get as big or stay as small as his gentic make up allows. Some dogs have huge parents and they end up being small. Some dogs have normal sized parents and end up the size of a small horse. ( I have seen both happen)

As for calm and relaxed puppy..... that doesn't really exist in boxers unless they are tired :) Some are more calm than others but they are still boxer puppies.

As for agression, it can help agression a lot. Since non neutered males have a tendancy to have issues with other non neutered males.

I got Charlie neutered at 8 months. My vet told me I could do it earlier but I waited for 8 months because I felt that was a good enough half way point. Charlie is a big boy, he is 80 lbs and lots of muscle. He didn't finish filling out until about 2 1/2 yrs, he is just 3 yrs as of August.

So long post short ;) it is entirely up to you. Some people do it early, some people do it later. Its all a matter of preference and your opinon. :)

7. sargboxerluv

sargboxerluv Completely Boxer Crazy

I personally have no interest in calming my dog down. I am only getting him nuetered so he doesn't feel the need to try to chase down females. I don't want my dog to run away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.