1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Reasonably Priced Dry Dog Food

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Geaux Tigers, Dec 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Geaux Tigers

Geaux Tigers Boxer Pal

I had been feeding my Boxer Eukanuba Boxer Breed Specific Dog Food. However, you can not currently find the food in the store so I will be switching. After doing some homework on here it appears that Eukanuba is not a very good dog food anyway.

I ordered a bag of Chicken Soup for Dog Lover's Soul Dry Dog Food for Adult Dog to try out through Amazon.

My question is this. Are there any good deals on dry dog food out there? My budget is very tight right now. I want to buy a good product for my Boxer but I need to be as economical as possible. Everyone in the family has cut back and this includes the dog.

I bought the Chicken Soup because the quality to price ratio seemed to be decent. If there is something that is better that is also reasonable then please let me know.

We take excellent care of our Boxer but we must be economically prudent. Thanks.

2. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Other posters on here say that Taste of the Wild is reasonably priced and it is a high quality food. I don't know how it compares to Chicken Soup in price (which is a million times better than Eukanuba- good choice :) ). Feeding a better food can be cheaper than you think because you have to feed so much less of it than foods like Iams/Purina/Eukanuba.

Are you a Cotsco member? I think their house brand of food is pretty decent and affordable as well.

Also, look in to companies and stores that will give you a free bag after so many bags purchased (buy 10 get 1 free, etc). If there are horse/livestock feed stores in your area, those can be good places to buy higher quality dog food and usually at good prices.

Good luck and congrats on making a healthy change for your boxer. :)

3. samsons

samsons Boxer Insane

i feed TOTW. where i live its about 6 dollars cheaper the chicken soup.

a 43.00 bag last me 2 1/2 weeks & i feed 2 boxers. :) before we got the second dog - it would last nearly a mo. worked out to about 10.00 a week. ( cheaper then the junk stuff by far. we aLSO are on a tight budget ^ i had to show dh that it was really CHEAPER to buy expensive food !! lol

4. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

We feed Taste of the Wild, too with very good results. I think the 43 pound bag costs around 40 dollars (where I live) and, like Samsons said, if I only had to feed one dog it would probably last around a month. 10 dollars per week per dog for food - not bad.

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Wow, didn't know there was a 43 lb bag of TOTW! Where I am the biggest bag I can find is 30 lbs, and it costs $44. Lasts me about a month (maybe a little more) for one 62 lb dog.

Like someone else said, Costco's store brand, Kirklands, makes a few decent dog foods that very affordable. They're not as good as TOTW or Chicken Soup, but are leaps and bounds better than other foods for similar price. It is a 3 star food (which I believe is better than Eukanuba Boxer) and costs about $20 for a 30 lb bag.

6. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Oops.... it might be a 30 lbs bag then....? Can't check right now because we are on a Wellness core rotation! Don't know how I even came up with 43 pounds ;), but like everyone else said, one bag does last approx. a month for one dog.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  7. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

TOTW is a decently priced food. I get a 30 pound bag (biggest bag they make) for $39.99 in my area.

If you are a Costco member, they have a grain free food that is 30 pounds for $29.99 made by either Pelican Bay or Nature's Domain depending on where you are in the country, or they have their own brand (Kirkland) that is a decent food that is 40 pounds for $22.

"Bang for your buck" these would be the 2 I would recommend then followed by Chicken Soup.

Good luck!

8. Geaux Tigers

Geaux Tigers Boxer Pal

I want to thank everyone for their input. I was able to buy 30 pound bags of TOTW at a local Tractor Supply for a sale price of $37.99. The bags are normally priced $42.99. I bought a bag of the High Prairie and Wetlands Formula. I plan on switching between these so Tiger does not get bored with his food. I also have a bag of Sam's Club Member's Lamb and Rice Formula I need to get him to finish eating as well. A bag of Chicken Soup should also be arriving shortly from Amazon. The TOTW seems to be reasonably priced and I plan on using this product from now on. We do not have Costco's in my area so that is not an option. I appreciate everyones input and if anyone has any further advise then I will gladly listen.

9. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I'd skip the Sam's food, it's a REALLY low grade food. You *should* be able to return any unused amount to your Sam's store for a full refund if you are not satisfied with it. Very very low quality ingredients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.