Best glucosamine supplement?

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Looking for a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement for Caney. The one she's on now doesn't seem to be helping much.

Recommendations?

Thanks in advance :happy:

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I used to use it for Markus. I was never sure that it did any good. I don't recall what the brand was. Is it for arthritis? Markus had spondylosis. In the end I gave him Metacam. It really helped and since it was a liquid, it was really easy to adjust the amount when he overdid it. :)

msnitsirk

Boxer Booster
I use joint care 2 from Dr. Fosters and Smith. Sammie has been on it for 5 years since her knee surgery. She is 10 now still doing boxer burns on occasion. :) They also make a joint care 3 but Sammie won't eat that one and just spits it out.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
I used to use it for Markus. I was never sure that it did any good. I don't recall what the brand was. Is it for arthritis? Markus had spondylosis. In the end I gave him Metacam. It really helped and since it was a liquid, it was really easy to adjust the amount when he overdid it. :)

It is for arthritis. The vet has mentioned at her last two physicals that Caney seems to have some pain in her hips. I can tell that's probably true by the way she carries herself these days.

At one point I found a really good supplement for Creek, it was a human version from Walmart, kind of expensive but I saw a huge difference in her. I haven't been able to find them for Caney unfortunately but I would like to try something else before we go the prescription route.

What is spondylosis?

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Spondylosis is basically arthritis of the spine where the disc's get fused together.

Caney Creek

Boxer Insane
Spondylosis is basically arthritis of the spine where the disc's get fused together.

Hmm that's interesting. Because years ago Caney had a chest x Ray and on it I noticed that a couple of her discs were fused together. I think I made a post about it here. I might ask the vet about that next time.

ZekeZira

Completely Boxer Crazy
We use TerraMaxx Pro Hip & Joint Supplement, available from Amazon. It is a liquid and has worked absolute wonders for Zeke. He used to struggle so badly with hip pain and this stuff has made all the difference in the world - he never limps or is stiff jointed anymore. Between the supplement and losing a few pounds after moving to a "mature" formula dog food, he was able to stop his monthly shots. And he has no issues with the taste, so I just pour a bit into his food and he eats it right up.

rena

Boxer Booster
When Roxy got older and had trouble getting around, I had my equine vet perform acupuncture on her. She recommended straight MSM - she said that is what the farriers take for their knees and backs. I started giving this to her (and also to myself). I think it helped for awhile for Roxy, but we also continued the acupuncture and then did laser treatments. I still take MSM and think it does wonders for my joints. One thing to note is it is sulfur-based, so if have sulfur allergies it should not be taken.