Benny has demodex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whosierbabe

Boxer Buddy
My little one (really he's 14 months, but he's still my baby) was diagnosed with demodex 2 weeks ago. The vet prescribed an oral med (Ivermectin (sp?)) and it made him sick within a week.

He didn't eat or drink, didn't want to sleep at night, had a terrible time eliminating, ate nothing but grass and weeds to make him sick, and ended up puking up green FOAM!

Now the vet wants to try this med again. I don't like the thought of using it again since it made him sick in the first place, but I don't know what else works. I am willing to try natural supplements, but I don't want to feed him raw meat. He ate nothing but people food for 3 months before I had him and I don't want him to develop a "taste" for it again. Does anyone know of any treatments besides Ivermectin that have good results without making pups sick?

Thanks!

BayouBoxer

Boxer Pal
There Are Special Dips That Can Be Used In The Treatment Of D-mange. My First Boxer Puppy Developed This And Used The Dips Vs. The Oral Treatment. Revolution (topical Heartworm/flea Control) Also Has Been Used In Such Cases, But The Dips Or The Oral Meds Are Gonna Be Your Best Bet.

ELubas

Boxer Insane
My girl had this as well and we used the goodwinol cream and added Vitamin C to her meals. She cleared up quickly and it never reoccurred. I still give the Vit C and fish oil daily with meals Good luck to you and your pup

nswain

Completely Boxer Crazy
My girl Grumpy has been through d-mange too, so I know how stressful it is. We did use ivermectin with her, but she never had any problems from it... I don't blame you for wanting to find something else if it's making your boy sick! We decided not to use dips for Grumpy because (according to our vet) dogs frequently become very sick for a few days afterward. Would research VERY carefully if you want to go that route.
I agree about the Goodwinol ointment... I have a friend whose dog had a similar reaction to Benny's when on ivermectin and she used the Goodwinol with great results. Our vet sells Goodwinol, you can also buy it at most online pet supply places. Good luck!

whosierbabe

Boxer Buddy
We went to the vet yesterday and she prescribed a sulfur shampoo to kill the mites and vitamin E capsules so his coat won't dry out. Thank you all for your suggestions! I mentioned them to the vet and she said that those are all options if the shampoo doesn't work and if he gets worse. Right now Benny has a mild case of D-mange. (Sigh of relief!) She also said that I may or may not have to use goodwinol on the spots where the hair loss is the worst.

Right now the worst spot is his neck. He has no fur on the underside of his neck, very thin fur on his chest, and barely any fur around his groin. I haven't seen any infected areas lately. Is that common with D-mange? When he wandered to my doorstep in March (and proceeded to break through my screen door!) he did have an infected spot on his leg. I'm wondering now if that wasn't a warning sign.

I feed him IAMS large breed dog chow. It's a balanced diet dog food and he seems to love it. He eats 4-6 cups of it a day when he's only supposed to eat 2 per day because of his weight. The vet says that's alright because he's an active pup. Does anyone else feed their boxer IAMS? Benny sometimes gets dry skin, but I think the vitamin E will help with that. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks!

Net45582

Banned
Visit www.dogfoodanalysis.com for food info. You may want to find something better than IAMS to feed. All dogs have mites. Its only when the immune system gets stressed that the body cannot "manage" them and mange sets in. Personally,I would avoid the dip,change the food and start with the Goodwinol....but that's just my opinion from personal experience and research. Good luck and thanx for giving Benny a home.

whosierbabe

Boxer Buddy
Re: Benny has demodex

That's a good idea. I'll talk to my vet about that too. I think that his immune system was compromised by his previous owners. They fed him bologna, hot dogs, chicken fingers, and mac 'n cheese. Not exactly the best diet for a growing puppy imo. Processed meat and grains. :P

Just to top that off, Benny was a pound puppy which also probably weakened his immune system. God knows what he went through there! All I can say now is that he's in a much better place and he's finally going to eat properly! I think that he's a lot happier too which I think makes all the difference. :)

whosierbabe

Boxer Buddy
Update:

We went to the vet Wednesday and the vet did a skin scraping and found NO mites! :D His fur is growing back nicely too. We have 2 more weeks of sulfur shampoo baths (stinky!) and one more month of oil supplements. I think that I'm going to keep giving him those. His coat looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.