Bayleigh, DH and NILIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayleighmom

Boxer Insane
Here's a little background. Bayleigh will be 5 years old this week and has been with us since she was 6 weeks. She had a fur brother for the 1st 3 years of her life til we had to help him cross over. 18 months ago, Bayleigh was diagnosed with immune mediated thrombocytopenia. Her immune system attacks her platelets causing her to bleed. She has been on a low dose of prednisone ever since and has maintained. In August, we adopted Willie, a one year old neutered boston terrier. They get along great!

In November, DH was laid off for the entire month. Both dogs loved having him at home. We have always kept the dogs separate while eating or there is food involved because Bayleigh thinks ALL food is hers. In the last couple of weeks, Bayleigh has been going after Willie. There is usually nothing to fight over, or so we thought.

She does NOT attack him when DH is not at home. I believe Bayleigh thinks DH is "hers". First, it started that Willie couldn't get close to DH & Bayleigh in the recliner. It has now escalated to her not letting him into the room! But it's only when DH is home. The other night, she herded him out of the room and pinned him under the Christmas tree. Once backed into a corner, he fought back. All the fighting(so far) has been a lot of teeth showing and growling.

One day last week I came home from work to find Willie hiding in the kitchen. DH said Bayleigh had stalked him the entire day and Willie ended up sitting on the kitchen table looking out the window.

When this happens, DH will yell at Bayleigh to snap her out of the stalking but then will pet and love on her because he says he feels bad for yelling at her. Grrrr!

I've told him that he is the only one that can break her of this. He has to let her know HE IS the boss, not her. He needs to break her out of the stalking mode and then ignore her, not give her attention. I've also told him that he should put her in her crate for a time out if she doesn't stop. And especially after she goes after Willie.

Any suggestions on how to train DH?! I think he's finally starting to understand but he says he feels bad because she may not be around much longer and wants to spoil her. Pffft!

Status
Not open for further replies.