barking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Boxer Buddy
Yeah, I thought that lady was out of line saying they should be killed. In her defense though, I don't think she knew much about them though after visiting with her. No way should any dog be put down due to color of their skin. I think white ones are very unique. You better keep a close eye on them though, with that white hair they could sunburn real easy. We brought Sadie in this weekend. It was to get pretty cold, so I bought her a knew kennel and toy. She don't care for the toy but she did well in the crate. She only barked once and that was the second night.....she wanted a little more water. She hadn't been in one since about 4 months of age. The first several times of taking her back out she was not fond of, or was just not sure what was going on! By yesterday evening though, she would head straight to the back door instead of fighting me. We'll work with her more after she gets out of heat. I tried a diaper type thing with her, but it did not work well, so she will get to see more of the house after she stops bleeding.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Shawn,

I wondered how Sadie was doing, I saw all the ice Texas has been getting! I'm glad she did well in her crate - sounds like she's a pretty good-tempered dog. My female hates those diaper things, too, and tries constantly to get them off. She finally got used to them her last season (this was her third), although she pouts the whole time she's got them on. (BTW, if you do try them again with Sadie, don't leave them on her overnight or whenever she'll be in her crate longer than a few minutes - it can cause infections.)

Keep us updated on how she does inside ;)

Julie

Shawn

Boxer Buddy
Julie, I was reading your reply to JoAnn about her female biting her son. That's scary. Sadie jumps up from time to time and does that. She does it to the kids frequently and to me too. The kids get scared cause she knocks their glasses off and they think she is being mean. She normally does it to me when my back is turned and she nips at me ear. You know how much they love to jump so I just assumed it was playing. Now I'm nervous! Not for me, but my little ones. We both know how good they are with kids, but every so often you hear of an attack. I sure hope your right about it usually being a friendly nip. I always considered it as such, but that is always in the back of my mind. It does sound that in her case something is not right.

How in the world can you afford to feed that crew?! I bet you go through some food with all those pups.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
Yep, they're pretty expensive little buggers :) No, actually, since I switched to a raw diet it's less expensive. It would be _way_ less expensive if I ate vegetables myself, and gave them the extras - right now I'm buying produce just for the dogs, and that's where the money adds up - but it's still less expensive than the mid-grade kibble I was feeding. (They eat a lot less - my 65 lb. male that was eating 5 cups of kibble a day eats 2 1/2 c. of raw foods.)

Plus, I have a really good relationship with my main vet and I get a break on a lot of things. (I give him a *lot* of referrals!)

I do believe in most cases the jumping/biting is a play thing. It could be aggression, but I don't think an aggressive Boxer would typically go for the face (unless your face was at their level). I'd certainly work to eliminate the behavior regardless, since even in play they can hurt!

Julie

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
Shawn

I'm so glad to hear Sadie has been moved inside. I was reading where you said after her bleeding stops she will get to see more of the house. One thing I learned with my 3 is to allow them in more of the house but not all of it. For mine the bedrooms and bathroom are off limits. Our kitchen and living room are joining rooms, to get to the rest of the house you must go into the hall. Mine have learned not to step into the hall therefore they can't get to the bedrooms or the bathroom. It's much easier to keep an eye on them and house training wasn't that hard. It also keeps the doggy hairs in only 2 rooms instead of the whole house and it gives the kids some time away from them if they want to play without the dogs. It's just something you might want to think about now instead of attempting to retrain her later.:)

Shawn

Boxer Buddy
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I had thought about limiting her area to just the kitchen and living room as well. Though she does already go into one bathroom. In the colder weather she gets her baths inside as I'm sure most do. My wife called me a little while ago and said she made a straight shot from the back door to her kennel before she could get hold of her. She does not seem to mind being pinned up since it is either that or be where in is cold. Being pinned must be the lesser of 2 evils right now.

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
Even though mine aren't allowed in the hallway, which keeps them from the bathroom, they still get their baths inside when it's cold. To keep from confusing them about going into the hall, I always put a leash on them to take them to the bathroom. That way they know the hall is off limits unless I put a leash on them. This also works for the yard. Ours isn't fenced yet. They know they aren't allowed to leave the yard unless they have their leashes on and I'm with them. Boxers are very smart and pick up on stuff quickly and easily. I'm sure if you do decide to limit her inside space she'll catch on quickly.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.