Barking at the Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowicki

Boxer Booster
We have recently switched Bandit from Canidae All Life Stages to Solid Gold Barking at the moon. He loves Barking at the Moon. But what, if any, good or bad effects will the extra protein and crude fat have on him. The calorie count is about the same but the Crude protein and Crude fat is higher in Barking at the Moon. I want to feed him the best food available, aside from RAW, but am now quesioning my change in foods. Is Barking at the Moon going to make him gain weight? (We really don't have a problem in the area :LOL: ) Any input would be greatly apprecieated.

Barking at the Moon
New! Grain Free, High Protein, Low Carbohydrate dry dog food for performance dogs.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein, min 42%
Crude Fat, min 20%
Crude Fiber, max 4%
Moisture, max 10%

465 kcal / cup

Canidae
Crude Protein (min.) 24.00%
Crude Fat (min.) 14.50%
Crude Fiber (max.) 4.00%
Moisture (min.) 10.00%
ME (kcal/cup) 468

Valantar

Boxer Insane
We have recently switched Bandit from Canidae All Life Stages to Solid Gold Barking at the moon. He loves Barking at the Moon. But what, if any, good or bad effects will the extra protein and crude fat have on him. The calorie count is about the same but the Crude protein and Crude fat is higher in Barking at the Moon. I want to feed him the best food available, aside from RAW, but am now quesioning my change in foods. Is Barking at the Moon going to make him gain weight? (We really don't have a problem in the area :LOL: ) Any input would be greatly apprecieated.

Solid Gold is an excellent food for adult dogs (18 months and older). Here is a quote from a previous thread addressing some questions I had prevoiusly about the higher protein and fat content (in relation to some joint problems):

No, it shouldn't cause any problems at all for his joints - and may even be helpful. High amounts of protein in a dry dog food is a problem only for dogs whose bones are still growing. There is absolutely no evidence linking higher levels of protein fed to adults with development of musculoskeletal problems - and it's hard to imagine how it could be a problem since no further changes to the bones are taking place. No, it is solely a problem when growing puppies are overfed.

As for helpful - it's worth noting that foods like Barking At The Moon, EVO, Raw Instinct, etc contain much higher amounts of meat and bone than traditional kibble. Well, the natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin is bones and cartillage ;) That is one reason why people with arthritic dogs frequently find that a raw natural diet is so helpful - they're feeding what is a well known and helpful supplement for arthritic conditions in it's natural form! Anyway, with higher amounts of meat/bone in the food, it's likely that one of the grainless kibbles may help to some degree.

Calories are not an issue providing you feed an amount appropriate to his activity level. Same as on any other food.

I have seen wonderful results with this formula for both of my dogs. A lot of people actually report some weight loss with this food due to the lower carbs. Samson gained 4 pounds, but this is the first time he is eating consistently - he really loves this food. I saw no weight change at all with Hannah on the same amount of food that we fed her on a different brand. Just keep a close watch on weight gain/loss and adjust as necessary. I have also not seen any difference in energy levels. They have a wonderful, soft coat on this food.

Good luck with this food! I hope you see the same good results.

Last edited:

SILLY6PAK

Boxer Insane
I too worried about the high protein. I am feeding EVO. So far I have seen no weight change and a little weight loss in one. This is after 4 months. Lately Rex has soft stools and Jessie is constipated and soft when it does come out. I do not think it is food related but it does have me wondering if thiw food is too rich?
I am exploring alternatives.
II will not go with Solid Gold as I think the parent company has been caught in too many unethical situations.

Goodfellas

Boxer Pal
I too worried about the high protein. I am feeding EVO. So far I have seen no weight change and a little weight loss in one. This is after 4 months. Lately Rex has soft stools and Jessie is constipated and soft when it does come out. I do not think it is food related but it does have me wondering if thiw food is too rich?
I am exploring alternatives.
II will not go with Solid Gold as I think the parent company has been caught in too many unethical situations.

Is this true or are you making false claims? Any info to back it up? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.