1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Backyard breeding - the consequences

Discussion in 'Choosing A Breeder' started by gmacleod, Jun 5, 2005.

  1. gmacleod

    gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

    Jun 3, 2002
    Likes Received:
    This thread is for posting your stories about the consequences of backyard breeding practices. It is here so that people who're considering purchasing a puppy from a BYB, or from a pet store/puppy mill (or who're considering becoming a BYB) can read about others' experiences and understand the damage it does, and the risks they take in supporting such breeding practices.

    If you have a story to tell about a puppy you bought from a BYB, please post it here so that others' can learn from your experiences.

    If you don't have a story to share, please don't post here (it will be deleted). As much as we can all empathise or sympathise with some of the horror situations that are caused by irresponsible breeding, we want this thread to be an easy source of information for prospective puppy buyers (and for aspiring breeders too)

    Before you buy a puppy, please visit www.boxerworld.com/health_tests to read about the genetically inheritable diseases that affect boxers, and the testing that all breeders should be carrying out on their breeding stock. Do not buy a puppy from anyone who is not performing these tests.

    You can find out more about how to choose a responsible breeder at www.boxerworld.com/faq As for backyard breeders and the damage they do, see the articles listed on the left at www.boxerworld.com/rescue Or just read on...
  2. shannonmac

    shannonmac Completely Boxer Crazy

    Jul 22, 2002
    Likes Received:
    A lesson not to buy from a backyard breeder...

    Before I came to boxerworld, I really didn't know much about boxers, except I thought they were adorable and I wanted a brindle female.
    So off I went to look for my new boxer puppy.
    I searched the newspapers and low and behold was the ad I was waiting for. 1 Brindle female left, 8 weeks old, $600.
    Whoah! I thought, $600, that's pretty darn cheap for a boxer puppy. So I called and went over to the house.
    There was a sign in the front of the house that said AKC Boxer Puppies $600.
    The guy explained to me how he just loved boxers and has been breeding them for years. And down the hill she came running...
    A little brindle ball, all legs and floppy ears, she tripped, tumbled, got back up and ran right to me.
    I picked her up and it was love at first sight. I gave the man a check, and off we went.
    First visit to the vet we got our shots. Then came the puppy mange, then came the kennel cough.. but I thought, these are kind of normal....
    Kneesaa is now 3 years old.
    It became evident quite early on that she was not up to breed standard. Sure by first looks, she's exactly what a boxer should be. But if you look closer she has a hump on her back, and she is quite small...its a struggle to keep her at 50 lbs!
    Just this last week she had surgery to remove a mast cell tumor from her right shoulder, then she started having epileptic seizures...
    I can't tell if these are things that would have been able to have been detected in the parents, had they been health tested, however they were not tested, so I'll never know.
    I worry about the other problems we will have down the road and curse myself for not knowing any better!
    But at the same time I worry that I might not have ever found her, and what if it wasn't me who took her. Would she be tied up in a backyard left to die?
    She is my life, my little Kneesaa, but the medical bills are pretty big, and I know they aren't going to stop.
    I guess the only thing I want people to take from this is to please buy from a responsible breeder. Ask questions, make sure they do health testing. I know that Kneesaa isn't even close to the worst of the stories on here, but it is a reminder what happens when you buy from a BYB.
  3. TheBoxerCrew

    TheBoxerCrew Super Boxer

    May 18, 2005
    Likes Received:
    my BYB stories.........(long)

    I know how you feel. In the early 1990's, I too fell prey to a BYB who knew all the right answers. I was young and naive, and this was to be my first Boxer of my own (otherwise they were technically my parents' dogs). The price was right, the people were friendly......and at 4wks, I went to play with the pups and pick mine out of 7 males. The mother and older sister (same parents) were on-site, I was told the father was off being bred. He had been shown, but had not gotten his champion. He had been OFA on his hips (good). No testing was done on the dam since "she isn't being shown". Stupid me.

    The largest one was instantly my choice. He was the only one who came running right to me and ignored the toys on the floor. He wanted to play and box with me, not his brothers. He had a few fleas, but hey - in Oklahoma in July.....it happens.....it was something I could deal with. Fleas here - they are minor.

    I paid my deposit, and the "breeder" told me that if I wanted, I could take him home with me, since their mother was "sick of nursing them and tried to kill them earlier". Horrified that my new buddy might not live another 4 weeks with his mother being so mean to the pups, I agreed. I didn't have the rest of the money for him on me. The "breeder" said I could have him for the amount of my deposit, since I was taking him so young and he would need extra care.

    So off I went, 4wk old pup in my lap, to make the 100 mile drive home. When I got home and had him out to go potty......I suddenly got a look at I think every possible worm a dog could have.

    The next morning, I took him to the vet for de-worming. The vet was hesitant to do the vax because of his age, but decided to start them and then we would just to an extra round at the end to be sure his immunities were as they should be. This cost me about $100. We discussed his ear crop. My parents had always had it to Turtle and Ivan, so I was clueless. I agreed to schedule it 2 weeks later. Yes, my baby had his ears done at 6 weeks. In some ways, I wouldn't do it that way again if I did crop, but in some ways, I would have rather waited. He was in so much pain after, but hey - after 3 weeks, his ears stood properly and never needed "retraining".

    Life went on for a little over three years. He was discovered to be mildly hip displastic, had thyroid problems, and had a cataract starting in his left eye. Then I noticed that he was losing weight, getting sick (often) on his food, and just not acting himself. Bloodwork and X-rays revealed nothing. The vet (different vet, this one a boxer owner/lover himself) was stumped.

    Four months later, with still no explanations or reasons for Max's continuing downhill slide, I relocated to another state. About a week later, he and Abby, my rescued Boxer girl who had been diagnosed with a brain tumor just before we moved, were playing a little rough, and Max fell HARD on his side. Hard enough that he yelped and didn't get up right away. Then he started throwing up blood.....a lot of it. Rushed him to a vet who couldn't figure it out and wanted to open him up ASAP, thinking he may had torn something in his GI tract. I agreed. It wasn't long before he came back out. Max's abdomen was riddled with tumors, and the vet had biopsied 3 of them, but there were too many to remove. He had possibly ruptured one in his GI tract, and that was where the blood was from. His liver, according to the vet, looked like it had barnacles on it, there were some many growths.

    I lost both him and Abby 8 months later. The pain grew too much for Max to bear, even with high doses of pain meds, and I could not let him go on. He tried to be the same constant shadow he had always been, but I could see the pain in his eyes and I knew it was time. Abby was so dependent on him (she had gone blind because of her tumor), and wasn't far from following him anyway, that my vet and I decided it was the kindest thing to let them both go together. I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my son and heartbroken. They were too young. They were everything I pretty much had left after my relationship and life had pretty much hit bottom.....and now they were gone too. It was a pretty bleak time in my life.

    After he was gone, I tried to fill the void by doing research online. There was some info out there, but this was 1996, so not as much as there is now. This was something I should have done FIRST.....not after Max was gone. I found someone else who was looking for info on the same sire I was. After e-mailing more, I found that her boy (Tarsis) had been a littermate to Max. He had died in much the same way.

    Together, we called the "breeder" on a 3-way call. I asked about the dam and sire, and if they were alive. No. The older sister, "Sadie"....what became of her? She had died in whelp at age 2. I asked how the dam and sire died. Then the truth came out.....the sire had been put to sleep because of advanced cancer of the liver and abdomen 2 weeks before the litter (Max & Tarsis') was born. He had suffered with it for over a year before then, which is why they stopped showing him! Also, they were afraid his "bad eye" would be detected by a judge and embarrass them! As for the dam, her "hips went bad carrying that 3rd litter (Max & Tarsis'), and they had force-weaned the pups at 4wks so she didn't have to have them attacking her when she was walking - it was making her fall down. I wanted to crawl through the phone and strangle the woman.

    I have decided there are 2 kinds of BYBs out there......the truly ignorant "I am gonna make money" kind, and the "I know my dog is carrying something hereditary, and I don't care" kind. I think there are many more of kind A than kind B. The breeder saw Tarsis' mom and I as young, single girls wanting a dog and did what they had to to make the sale of a dog they KNEW could very well die young......and they didn't care.

    Because of this, it took me almost 8 yrs to find another Boxer. Almost 8 yrs of line research, interviewing breeders, and finally finding a sire and dam whose owners/breeders understood my fears, and had fully tested dogs. I waited over a year after deciding I wanted a pup for the pups to actually be born. The litter was planned, and I had time to research both parents' lines. The sire's breeder also has agreed to pay for George to have all testing done when age-appropriate.....for my peace of mind, and their kennel records/reputation. He will never be shown (although both tell me he could have been), he will never be bred (was neutered @ 3mo), but both sire and dam breeders agreed to let me be the first one to see the pups and pick mine after the "pick of the litter" was selected. I chose one they felt was a "show potential", but knew he would never see a ring and didn't push the issue. If only more were like that. We have kept in contact, and they have never once said "he could be winning in the ring like his litter sisters" - 2 of which are close to their CH at under 2yrs and limited showing.

    Mindy pretty much fell into my arms. Her breeder (a well-meaning woman who does the right testing but I don't feel her dogs are the best representatives of the breed) had a family medical emergency, and Mindy was a return because of idiot buyers ("she's not housebroken" - at 8wks). The breeder was going to board a 9wk old pup who had been starved the week she had been with her new family. The vet did some talking between the breeder and I, and Mindy became mine. Her muzzle is wrong (really long, not squishy), and her knees are something we are watching (both kneecaps are mild "floaters"), and she is only 3.5mo old. Her parents may test well, but I don't think where they came from was the best stock. Mindy will be spayed later this month. Sadly, I am sure her 10 littermates will not be.

    Lillie is a pound puppy, dumped by her BYB (a prolific producer of unwanteds in this area and big supporter of "Rare Whites") at the shelter at 4.5mo old because she was "ugly and no one wants this worthless pup". The BYB claimed she was "stone" deaf. Someone adopted her, spayed her, had her for about 6 months and then she was picked up as a stray....and never claimed. The shelter folks recognized her, and thought she WAS deaf because she didn't respond to them. I happened to be standing there when she was put on "adoption row" and immediately said "SQUISHYFACE!" (and the dog's stump wagged), grabbed the info card off the kennel and said "I want to see her outside, and I want to put the pending hold on her". Because I have a friend there, I got to leave a deposit on her and take her for a walk off shelter property.....she could hear, she was just really stubborn and VERY stressed. My friend ok'd me taking her for a car ride (to my house) to meet "the crew". Not only did this dog already take to the name my son gave her, she answered to it when in my yard playing with my dogs. Knowing where she came from, I have spent money having some testing done, just to make sure I don't lose her to something that could have been treated. So far, all is clear. He hips are showing fine now, but we will re-Xray in a year, since she is only 1 now.

    Buying from a BYB is a crapshoot, with the buyer most often coming up on the losing side. Sometimes, we are feeling so desperate to have the little guys in our lives that we don't realize who we are buying from. A REPUTABLE breeder is one who has people waiting for pups before they are born - they start taking names as soon as the bitch is confirmed many times. A REPUTABLE breeder doesn't advertise in the local free classified paper. A REPUTABLE breeder doesn't hem and haw when you ask about testing - they offer to hand you copies of every vet record they have on the dog from puppydom to present. A REPUTABLE breeder won't hide a health issue to make a buck. If one is discovered later, a REPUTABLE breeder will try to contact puppy owners to let them know.

    Every time I see ads in the paper here, I cringe. In this area, there are far too many out to make a fast buck, and much of what they are producing, sad to say, is crap. Their pups are the ones who usually end up in the shelter because they "aren't good with kids" or "jump fences". Too many want a Boxer because of the looks, and don't care where it comes from - which makes more and more be produced. My vet here told me it is nice to see a Boxer owner who cares for their dogs, and their dogs are generally healthy - he sees many more here who are severely hip dysplastic, heartworm infested and have bad knees/eyes/hearts......because of the BYBs here. If only people would get a clue.......
  4. WAT

    WAT Boxer Insane

    Jul 3, 2001
    Likes Received:
    I too fell prey to BYB, my Blaze, but I didn't know any better. Blaze was the puppy that first came over to my son and I and starting playing with us. The Mom was onsite, however I only saw a picture of the dad, he was not owned by the BYB. The BYB kept asking me if I was sure that I wanted him, when his brother would bring in more $$ breeding (the brother was flashy and Blaze is not). I said no, I wasn't going to breed, paid my $$ to him and went on my way. Blaze's problems started out with only one testicle dropping as a puppy, which from what I understand is hereditary and his father should not have been bred. Well since then he has had 3 surgeries to remove tumours, one surgery for an impacted anal gland, one surgery to remove both of the anal glands, because they were not draining and kept getting impacted. He is not even 3 years old yet! I makes me nervous to even think what the later years are going to bring with my "Bud-Bud". Oh yeah, and did I mention he has splay toes on his front feet?
  5. WAT

    WAT Boxer Insane

    Jul 3, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Oops, Blaze is going to be 4, not 3! Time flies too fast!
  6. BaileyWailey

    BaileyWailey Super Boxer

    Dec 25, 2004
    Likes Received:
    My BYB story...

    My first dog was more of a "neighbor dog got to my dog" accident. I had wanted a lab mix forever and there was an ad in the paper for free lab mix pups. She has constant ear infections, allergies, and I think will end up with hip displasia or arthritis. Not that I condone this, but I think these people were just plain ignorant and weren't in it for the profit.

    So, to my real BYB story. I have been in love with the boxer breed for awhile. Last summer I had moved back home and decided it was the perfect time for my next puppy (so that I could get all the puppy stuff out of the way at my mom's house before I had to rent a place :) ) So I started looking in the papers and online. I did look at good breeders online, one of which I think I will get my next pup from if possible and who is a member here as well. But they were so expensive and I didn't want a show dog and didn't need papers. This was before I knew of Boxerworld of course. So I saw an ad for puppies in the paper for $300-400, 6 weeks old (I know, I know, way too young). Wow, that's cheap I'm gonna call. So I ended up driving an hour and a half the next day to see the pups. I wanted a brindle female so I had her bring only the two female brindles out to make it easier to choose. Of course I chose the rambunctious one that took a big poo on the floor :). She had beautiful marking and was a reverse brindle. The other one was so mellow, it just sat in my mom's lap the whole time (come to find out she probably was already feeling the effects of parvo).

    I take Bailey home (Sunday) and all was fine, the next day she wasn't quite as active, but the next she was back to normal (so it seemed). By Wednesday something was not right, she refused to eat and was very weak. I got baby formula from the store and force fed her that night. The next morning I called the breeder after doing some research online and suspected parvo. Her first response was "I was hoping she was okay, there's only two people who bought my pups I haven't heard from, all the pups (the ones sold and the ones she still had) are at the vet being tested for parvo." OMG! Thanks for calling me, nice lady. I took Bailey to the vet where she tested positive for parvo. Luckily the mother had been vaccinated and the pups had gotten their first shots the day I brought her home. I think this is what saved them. She was 5 pounds when I got her and 3 pounds after I brought her home from being at the vet for 3 days. I was given my money back for her, although the vet bill was far greater. I know the "breeder" felt horrible and maybe this stopped her from doing it anymore, I don't know. She really was a nice lady, but she was a BYB who needs to be educated (I have had no contact with her after I got Bailey back).

    So I nursed her back to health and she still had diarrhea. Took her to the vet and she had coccidia (sp?). Treated her for that for about two weeks. She never really got all of her baby teeth in, they were just these tiny little tips, and I was scared she wouldn't get her adult teeth in. All this sickness I think stunted her growth, although she is cute being small. I am scared to think of what may be in her heredity. Her father was beautiful and had AKC papers (I know this doesn't really mean anything) and her mother was white! I really didn't know any better. I have definately learned my lesson. I will forever be checking for lumps, cancer, etc. I LOVE my Bailey, but I will never buy again from another BYB.

    I'm sorry this is so long, but for those who are looking to get a boxer, do tons and tons of research first. If only I had known about boxerworld.....
  7. Laila63139

    Laila63139 Boxer Booster

    Sep 16, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Laila's BYB story (longish)

    I heard about Laila's breeder through a coworker, who had heard about him through a client of ours. I never had a boxer myself, but was in love with the breed; because some of my relatives had boxers and I fell in love with their dogs. As I sit here and read the other stories with tears in my eyes, I pray that I am not reading my baby's story. So far I feel fortunate.

    When bf and I felt ready to add a puppy to our home, I gave this breeder a call. It was the 4th of July weekend last year and he said he would have a litter ready to adopt the next week, so we got directions and made an appointment for the following weekend to come and see the puppies.

    We were excited as we drove about an hour from where we live, and as we pulled into the drive we were greeted by the sire; a beautiful flashy fawn named Rocky. The owner then pointed to the pen where the puppies were, took the sire inside and let the dam (Molly, a beautiful fawn boxer) out to see us. They were 6 weeks old and the breeder said they had been weaned for about a week. While I was playing with the puppies bf was watching us and picked out Laila based on her demeanor with me and her littermates. He was also talking to the breeder about the questions I made sure he would ask.... He had all the right answers.

    So bf selected Laila, we paid the guy and off we went. Breeder gave us the immunization record and completed AKC application along with her. On the way home I noticed the dam's name on the application wasn't Molly but I dismissed my concern to the fact that many people don't call their dogs by the AKC name.

    Anyhow, a few weeks later (if interested you can find the thread in BW Breed Standard forum under "muzzle puzzle") bf noticed that her snout was long. We waited a while to see if she would "grow-into" her face but as time went on, people were asking what breed our beautiful girl was. When we said that she was a boxer puppy we would get strange looks. She is also relatively small for a boxer (38 pounds at 1 year old)

    Out of curiosity about a month ago I sent in Laila's AKC application, and ordered her pedigree. When the pedigree came back, my fears are now confirmed; the dam in her pedigree is BRINDLE. The breeder had swindled us. Laila's litter did not come from the beautiful boxers we met. Rocky was probably the sire on the application, the name and description matched. Judging from her behavior when we met her Molly was obviously was the mother of the litter, but was likely impregnated by another breed. Further, the owner of the litter on the AKC application was not the owner of the dam, it was the owner of the sire, so technically we have no idea who the mother is at this point.

    Moral of the story; BYB'rs are shady. Even though bf and I had the best intentions and asked the right questions, that doesn't guarantee that we'll get an honest answer. Stupid on our part, shady on his part.. I just pray now that she has a happy, healthy life. So far, so good. But she's still young and we will always be wondering. Of course, the damage is already done and we're keeping her.. But if we had known better to select a breeder that had a waiting list her future may be more certain.
  8. izzy3jordan1

    izzy3jordan1 Boxer Booster

    Apr 14, 2005
    Likes Received:
    Trying to keep it short

    We found an add in the paper. Called; drove 60 miles to meet the guy; he brought the puppy; we thought she was sweet, a little small, but oh so sweet. We told the man that we wanted a 48hr gaurantee and we would take her to the vet in the AM. Got her home; that night she cried most of the night (usual); but she pooped all over herself; when we took her outside, she cowered at my feet; she wasn't playful; when we got her to the vet, the vet gave a very poor bill of health. She had a little spot on her arm where it looked as if she had an IV line at one time (barely noticable); her heart didn't sound good. Our vet said we are probably looking at a great many problems for the future. I called the guy and fortunately, (although he wasn't happy), he honored our 48 hr agreement and took her back and gave me a full refund. We lucked out that time (but the poor puppy).
  9. Albie

    Albie Completely Boxer Crazy

    Apr 28, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Belle's Story

    On December 4, 2004, my husband surprised the family with a boxer puppy. I had been talking about wanting to add a second dog to the family, but he was always saying he didn’t think it was a good idea. I’ll never know why he took it upon himself, but he found a puppy to add to the family, and surprised us on that day with the sweetest brindle boxer girl in the world. I knew it was a bad idea to purchase a puppy like my husband did, but I hated to make him feel bad, and the kids were thrilled with the new puppy. Things started out with the normal puppy trials and tribulations. Puppy pees and poops on the floor, sleepless nights, and fun times with silly boxer antics. We quickly fell in love with our sweet Belle.

    On January 31, 2005, our happiness took a sudden detour. It was a snowy evening, with ice coating the roads. I put the dogs outside to go to the bathroom, and Belle didn’t want to leave the covered porch. I thought she didn’t want to get wet. Little did I know she was feeling horrible, and didn’t have it in her to go down the steps of the porch. I brought Belle back inside and she threw up. I figured she ate something that didn’t agree with her. Belle continued to throw up throughout the night, and about 2 in the morning I noticed her breathing seemed to change, and I realized something was very wrong with her. I thought perhaps she aspirated some vomit, or had pneumonia. I took Belle to the vet first thing in the morning, and came to realize very quickly that things were about as bad as they can get. Belle was in congestive heart failure, and the vomiting was from her feeling so poorly. Our vet worked on Belle for about an hour and a half, but could not get her arrhythmia to convert back into a regular rhythm. We were transferred to the emergency clinic. Things were very touch and go, and I honestly did not think Belle was going to make it. We were told that we should consider euthanasia, but at that point we had not consulted with a cardiologist, so I wasn’t ready to give up. Belle did survive that initial day of her illness, and had a consult with the cardiologist the next day. It was learned that our four month old puppy had dilated cardiomyopathy. Needless to say, we were in shock. Once again we were told that her prognosis was poor, and we should consider euthanasia. However, poor Belle had been through so much and survived, so we felt we needed to give her a chance at some sort of normal life. We left the emergency clinic after three days, being told that Belle’s prognosis was poor, and with prescriptions for four different medications that hopefully would control this horrible disease. We were also told about some supplements that the cardiologist wanted us to begin to try to give heart some chance of stabilizing itself.

    The financial burden of having a seriously ill dog was now upon us. While I feel a price tag cannot be placed on the life of your pet, it should be appreciated that the cost of buying a puppy from a backyard breeder can be quite burdensome. I have never added up what we spent money-wise on Belle’s illness until today. I was quite taken aback by the financial toll, and looking at it money-wise I understand why at many points in time we were urged to consider euthanasia. Our vet bills for Belle, minus a few receipts I did not save for medications and supplements were:

    Initial vet consultation for illness - $573.75
    Transfer to ER (1st 24 hours) - $2182.00
    2nd 24 hours ER - $1506.00
    Medications - $186.49
    1st follow-up with regular vet - $177.50
    Bloodwork - $156.00
    Consultation with holistic vet and supplements - $338.17
    Vet visit for demodex (including Goodwinol and shampoo) $163.75
    Holistic vet visit - $182.10
    Supplements - $48.30
    Bloodwork/ECG - $194.50
    Bloodwork/ECG - $180.00
    Final ER Visit - $1214.00

    Belle’s illness cost us over $7,100.00. However, the financial ramifications of her illness are nothing compared to the emotional toll it took on our family. We lost our sweet Belle to dilated cardiomyopathy on April 28, 2005, only four months after diagnosis. She was only seven months old. Those four months were extremely stressful to all of us. For the last month Belle was with us, she had breathing problems for most of the time. We lived with the constant fear that Belle would just drop over and die at any moment. After the final hospitalization in the ER, we learned that Belle developed a blood clot in her heart, and her condition was considered grave. We were urged to put her to sleep at that time, but brought her home. Belle developed severe breathing problems within two days, and we had to make the painful decision to have Belle put to sleep. Not only was her condition deteriorating, but financially we could not continue with treatment that was not going to “cure” Belle.

    While I realize that our story is probably an extreme example of why not to buy from a backyard breeder, people who are considering purchasing a puppy from a BYB should realize that this is what could happen to you. Look at what we spent on medical care for Belle. It would have been well worth spending a $1000.00 on a puppy from a reputable breeder than it would have been to spend $500.00 from a BYB. Plus you cannot out a dollar amount on the emotional stress of such an illness. I sit here typing this post, with tears in my eyes thinking of all that our poor Belle endured in her short life. It was such a tragedy, and a tragedy that her so-called “breeder” fails to take any responsibility for.

    Belle was one of the most special boxers I ever had the privilege to know. I often think she was sent to us because God knew we would give her chance at a normal life. Throughout all of the adversity that Belle experienced, she continued to have boxer kisses and wiggles for everyone and lived her life to the fullest. Belle will truly live in our hearts forever.
  10. Mojos Mama

    Mojos Mama Boxer Pal

    May 31, 2005
    Likes Received:
    If I knew then what I know now...

    I bought my Mojo about 6 weeks ago from a BYB. I thought I had done my research but I definately went in blind. I hadn't even heard the term BYB before. I got his number from a co-worker at work and like the previous post I wanted a boxer puppy but wasnt that concerned about showing or needing papers so I didnt understand spending 1,000.00 or more on a "pet puppy". I drove two hours and chose the last puppy the breeder had left a little male. He was six weeks old the other puppies had been sold the week before. He was very adorable and my son and I fell in love instantly. He had some flaky yellow skin and when I asked the breeder what it was he said it was just normal puppy dandruff. Oh ok...well that sounds good then. He said it would go away as the puppy got older. Two days later and over 100 bites all over my body, I realized the breeder had either lied or was very ignorant. It wasnt normal puppy dandruff but Cheyletiella mites or "walking dandruff" my little guy was infested with mites, and these kind like to crawl all over humans also. I have a two year old son, a 13 yr old son, a husband, and two other dogs who now all have mites as well as the bedding and furniture. Needless to say the cleanup of this and getting rid of the mites was very extensive. The medicated shampoo we had to use that the vet gave us was only for use on puppies 12 weeks and up and ours was 6, the vet said we had no choice but to chance it and just watch him closely for a reaction. The first three weeks we had Mojo was very touch and go not only did he have the mites (which the vet said gets passed to the pups through their moms) but he also had a parasite (also passed through mom) that took us seven days of diarrhea and dehydration and medications to get rid of. When I tried to talk to the breeder he took absolutely no responsibility for any of this.

    Mojo is healthy now but it has been a long haul, and I will never buy from a BYB again and will discourage others from breeding any type of dog for the wrong reasons.

Share This Page