Back Leg Injury? Limping...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DUKEISRAD

Boxer Buddy
Hello, I was hoping someone might have some insight about our dogs leg injury? She is our 2 year old female boxer/bulldog (about 90 lbs). She and our other boxer were playing last night.. no yelps or whimpering and she suddenly quit playing and limped away. It is her back left leg, and last night she would put her weight on it but wouldnt walk on it. This morning she wont put any pressure on it at all. She has full range of motion there and will let us touch her without an issue, happy as can be as usual (not to say she isnt in any pain? because she does have a high pain tolerance) We called her vet this morning and cant get her in until Monday. We are kenneling her as recommended when we are away so she doesn't "over do it", and so we can limit what she does. She is that "bull in a china shop" type of dog haha, and is very very active. I feel so bad seeing her limp around. Has this happened or sound familiar to anyone? Could it be an ACL injury, or she could have pulled a muscle or something?

any ideas are helpful in the mean time, thank you!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Poor thing! I have never dealt with an acl, or any back leg injury for that matter, (thank God!) I hope it is just a pulled muscle. Positive, healthy (((vibes))) to your girl.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
We have bets on this at work... dog suddenly limping on rear leg, who wants to call it as an ACL tear? :)

I can't guarantee you anything but I would plan on it being an ACL and hope that it's not!
You can give aspirin for the weekend if you think she's uncomfortable, I can grab you the dose if you know how much she weighs?

DUKEISRAD

Boxer Buddy
whiskers,

last time she was weighed she was 87 lbs. There was actually a cancellation at the vet for tomorrow afternoon so I am happy to get her in sooner... but I can give her aspirin tonight if she seems to be in any discomfort, so a dosage would be helpful thank you!

whiskers

Boxer Insane
Oh, if she's able to get in tomorrow I wouldn't bother with the aspirin. They will probably give you an NSAID there and if she's had aspirin, it'll just interfere with it and complicate your dosing (can't mix NSAIDs). If it was going to be all weekend it might be worth it but she should be okay till tomorrow :) Glad they were able to get you in.

DUKEISRAD

Boxer Buddy
Possible ACL tear...

So... we got into the vet on Saturday and the vet believes it could be a "possible" tear in the knee but cant be so sure yet. She could feel swelling and some fluid retention in that knee area but she said with her it is very hard to tell because she is so solid and muscular in the legs (doesn't help with the bulldog in her.) So she gave us some rimadyl that she gets twice a day for 10 days, and lots of rest. So if she doesn't see improvement/isn't better after the rimadyl she wants to sedate her to do a further exam (not so sure what that entails? x-rays maybe?)

We are keeping her off of it as much as possible but she is so active and we don't want to kennel her everyday all day long. We have been giving her frozen kongs and got her a new giant antler to chew on, its just hard because she wants to play with our other dog so much so were trying to keep him mellow too (like that's possible!) If anyone else has any other ideas on keeping her pre-occupied during this down time that would be super helpful :)

thanks for your help/suggestions!

Tessa

Boxer Booster
Our vet recommended giving Benadryl to take the edge off while trying to keep Tessa on a restricted play schedule. You can also try leashing her to a piece of furniture in the house so she can move around, but not go crazy.

We tried rest to fix Tessa's "possible" ACL tear, but ultimately ended up needing surgery down the road. If I could do it over, I would have had the surgery consult sooner rather than trying to wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.