1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AZ - West Valley

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by DUKEISRAD, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DUKEISRAD

DUKEISRAD Boxer Buddy

I have a female boxer that needs a new forever home. My friend and their family have fallen on hard times, lost their home, and have asked me to help rehome her if anyones out there in the area. Shes a great dog! She is up to date on vaccines, friendly with kids and dogs. She isnt spayed yet. She is fawn and white, black mask with a white stripe. She will come with her collar, leash, food, toys, treats, bed, all that good stuff. Shes very friendly, knows basic commands and is learning a few tricks. She is active and also great at being a couch potato. She will be pound bound at the end of next week =/ if anyone is out there and interested please reply ASAP. The family does not have enough money to pay the surrendering fee for both local boxer rescues here. I am willing to drive a couple of hours whatever direction if you will give her a loving home. She is free to a good home where she can be spoiled like she has been! Dont pass up this great dog if youre looking for a great companion or family dog!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2010
  2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Be careful with the free to good home offer. The dog could end up in the hands of a hoarder or worse. I'd really encourage you to try to work out something with the rescues. I know of one Boxer Rescue in AZ that is REALLY great. Maybe they would be willing to work with the family. Rescues usually understand in hardship cases. You just need to be persistent & ask. Maybe the family could offer to do some volunteer work or trade some other item or service in exchange for the surrender fee. Or maybe a few friends or family members could pitch in to come up with the surrender fee. It really is worth asking. This could be the difference between life & death for this innocent dog.

3. DUKEISRAD

DUKEISRAD Boxer Buddy

Thank you for the information.. I will let them know that. Id never try to place the dog in a bad situation like that but youre right.. you never know where she could end up. The family tried rehoming her and was asking $80 to ensure that she would go to a good home but no one wanted to pay that. I dont want her to go to the pound especially because the economy is so bad right now, a lot of people are surrendering their pets and many dont make it out =\ so I told them I would take her at the end of next week if they didnt find anyone by then, and because they will be out of their house then. I just thought id try around on here to see if any boxer lovers out there were looking for another companion. IF that ends up happening and shes in my hands, do you recommend that I ask some $ to ensure a good home like they did, or should I save up the money myself to give her to a rescue here? I just really want this dog to end up in a good home =\ I feel bad for the whole situation. im not sure where to go from there if i take her and cant find her a good home either from anyone i know... because youre right... FREE can attract the wrong people, I see where youre coming from.

4. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Yes, I'd charge between 50$-100$. You don't have to say what you are charging exactly. You can just say "small rehoming fee" or something like that. This is the warning that we give people who contact the rescue but we cannot take their dog...

If you choose to forgo working with a rescue and decide to independently find your dog a new home via placing an ad in a newspaper (or other publication), via craigslist or other similar means PLEASE be aware of the risks. Many unscrupulous people answer these ads and you can easily be fooled by these professional con-artists. Offering your dog “free to a good home” can allow him to end up in the hands of an animal hoarder, being sold for animal research, or used as a bait dog in fighting rings. Of course not everyone who answers these ads have bad intentions so we suggest you do your do diligence and screen all potential adopters thoroughly. We recommend that you visit their home, (this is a must! If the adopter will not allow you inside their home then RUN!), contact personal references (their vet is a great place to start), and charge a small fee (people value what they pay for).

If you approach the rescue with the attitude that you are just a good Samaritan that's doing everything you can to ensure this dog doesn't end up in the wrong place I am sure they will offer you some sort of assistance.The biggest problem the rescues have is lack of space. So if you are willing to foster the dog until she can be placed then the rescue may be more willing to take her into their program. Basically the dog would live with you but they would advertise her on their website and allow you to bring her to adoption events. Most rescue are very good about placing dogs. The screening process is thorough enough that we weed out the crazies. So if you can get her into a reputable rescue that really is her best chance at having a successful life. Especially because most rescues require that if for any reason it did not work out with the new family then the adopter would be obligated to return her to the rescue (rather than give her away or dump her at a shelter, which happens alot with private re-homings).

If this dog is a sweet dog, dog friendly, kid friendly, nice temperament, etc then you wont have much of a problem finding her a home. Talk to the rescue, tell everyone you know about her, if you are on any social networking sites then share her picture & story and ask your friends to do the same, put flyers up at the dog park & vet offices, etc. It may take a little time but its totally doable. You just need to get her story out there. Now on the other hand if she has any aggression issues, doesn't act friendly, or other major behavioral problems then rehoming her will be very difficult. People want to adopt nice dogs to be a part of the family. People don't want dogs that are going to be a major project.

5. DUKEISRAD

DUKEISRAD Boxer Buddy

Thank you so much for your post. If she ends up with me I definitely will post that there is a small re-homing fee. And ill get in touch with the rescues myself. =] I will update.

6. mick1064

mick1064 Boxer Pal

This may sound a bit strange but,,,,

Try calling your local police department. As a retired copper here in Ohio, our union has a web site and an area where dogs and other animals are found and given homes off of the site quite often. Fire department ? Give them a call, you may be surprised. Good luck,,

Mick

7. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Any updates? Did this dog find a good home?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.