Authority - good kibble ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgasparas

Boxer Buddy
Is it the top notch on te market, probably not. I do think its better than the puppy chow she came home on. It firmed her stools right up, and she has continued to grow, and put on weight just like she should. Energy levels are always high and she loves the dog food!

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
Is it the top notch on te market, probably not. I do think its better than the puppy chow she came home on. It firmed her stools right up, and she has continued to grow, and put on weight just like she should. Energy levels are always high and she loves the dog food!

My son loves McDonald's too, doesn't mean I'd allow him to eat it everyday ;-). My point is just because a pet loves a food, doesn't mean it's in their best interest. And yes dogs fed bottom of the barrel foods will grow, put on weight, and usually their energy is just fine, however their coats are usually poor looking (which you may not notice until you switch to a better food), and it can set them up for troubles later on, increased risk at cancer, tumors, allergies, dry skin, bad teeth and gums, the list goes on and on. The old saying "you are what you eat" isn't so far off sometimes. The only key ingredient difference I see between puppy chow and Authority is Authority doesn't contain animal by-products, but that's about the only big one that shows up for me. Forget about it being "top notch on the market" it's a very small tiny baby step above Dog Chow and puppy Chow and a whole lot more expensive I would venture to guess. There are at least 3 other foods I can think of off the top fo my head that are FAR above it in nutrition and either less money or right about the same.

If this is what you are going to choose to feed, that's your choice, she's your dog, but please do not try and convince yourself that it's a good food, because it's not. It's full of corn, corn by products, and fillers including beet pulp.

You asked for opinions and I truly mean no offense by this, but it sounds like you're making an argument for it, and I'm sorry but the ingredients speak for themselves and it's pretty bottom of the barrrel food with a larger price tag.

samsons

Boxer Insane
WELL after tons of good advice ~ I bought taste of the wild ~ after spending some time in the store with all my print outs from DFA and some basic knowledge i went with the better kibble - He seams to enjoy it alot more , i did a small mix of it for dinner with the old.
We even got out a calculater and figured out how much a meal ( basicaly ) and if i only feed recommened amount , might even end up being the same as my old " premium " dog food !!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP !

and i am sure Sam thanks all of you also !! He even got a new collar for being so good at the store !!!!

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
WELL after tons of good advice ~ I bought taste of the wild ~ after spending some time in the store with all my print outs from DFA and some basic knowledge i went with the better kibble - He seams to enjoy it alot more , i did a small mix of it for dinner with the old.
We even got out a calculater and figured out how much a meal ( basicaly ) and if i only feed recommened amount , might even end up being the same as my old " premium " dog food !!

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL THE HELP !

and i am sure Sam thanks all of you also !! He even got a new collar for being so good at the store !!!!

That's AWESOME!! I am SO glad you guys ended up with a better food. Hope it continues to work for Sam!

samsons

Boxer Insane
i am a new boxer mom - so just learning ,.... i just couldnt go against so many ppl telling me it is a bad kibble - i asked for advice - i listened @! lol

but we really need to share the knowledge of DFA at the pet store, the clerk tried to sell me authority ( dif store ) untill i handed her my info - she now is a fan !! :) and SHE will be joining boxer world also !! ( she has a lab , i told her all where welcome ! )

so so much great info here , i cant stop telling all my dog loving friends about it !!

THANKS AGAIN !!

CoraBoxer

Super Boxer
The information that site gives for each of the items listed on the bag is awesome. I mean I can read the label but I haven't got a clue what it all means. Its amazing to see all the junk added to some foods. My HUGE question is why on earth would a vet sell people a 1 star food. Specifically Royal Canin medical vet diet (development)??? They get paid to do it?

My Cora loves a little bit of wet mixed in with her dry. Any advice on wet? I want to make sure shes getting everything she needs without getting too much. Orijen seems like a solid choice. And we have some great stores in town so choices are endless.

jgasparas

Boxer Buddy
"There are at least 3 other foods I can think of off the top fo my head that are FAR above it in nutrition and either less money or right about the same."

What foods do you speak of i'll be happy to check into them and see if I can get them in my area? If there's better food for less or the same money i'm happy to check into it. Where do you see beet pulp in the list of ingredients? Which ones are corn or corn by products so I can be on the lookout when looking at other foods maybe in the future?

Ingredient list for Authority puppy food:
Lamb, Lamb Meal, Brown Rice, Wheat, Wheat Germ Meal, Oat Groats, Rice Bran, Dried Egg Product, Beef Tallow (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Fish Meal, Natural Flavor, Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Taurine. Vitamin and Mineral Supplements (Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Ascorbic Acid), Copper Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, D Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamin Mononitrate, Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement).

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
That variety doesn't have corn or beet pulp, I was going by their regular adult version. But it's INCREDIBLY grain heavy. Wheat and wheat germ meal are very similar oat groats are oat dust (by product of oats) as is rice bran. Once you take all of these grains and put them together they become ingredient #1 and your meats become ingredient #10 unfortunately.

Taste of the Wild is usually a decent price, as is Natural Balance, Chicken Soup for the dog lover's soul, Kirkland (if you have a Costco card or know someone who does) is not better than the others I'm listing but it is better quality than Authority, Canidae, Blue Buffalo just to name a few. Check out the dog food anaylsis website for others as well. Also keep in mind, the better quality of the food, the less food you will feed because it fills them up fast and doesn't go through them as quickly to become waste (ie less mess in the yard to clean up!) where they need to eat again. My 67 pound dog gets 3 cups of food a day my 62 pound one gets 2 cups of food a day. A 28 pound bag that I spend $47 (plus tax) on lasts me 3 weeks feeding (2) full grown Boxers.

samsons

Boxer Insane
Update

well BW - SAM IS DOING SO SO WELL ON TOTW !!!!

he has gained 2 (ish ) lbs in a week - we are now to full feeding of TOTW - just today.

i of course can still see his spine , he seams umm - how do i say ( well he talks back more - more HAPPY - and a bit " spunky " ) so i am thinken we like this food !!

kinda hard to get in my area ~ have to go across town to get it - but so worth it !

i have herd that peanut butter is a good protein source - so i bought him a kong - and putting p.b. in it -(loves it ) hope that helps him put on a cpl healthy pounds ! but he is doing awsome and thanks all of u guys for helping his mom found him the perfect food !!

but any more advive is good ~~ we have now moved on to the next MAJOR delema(SP) of TREATS !! !UGGGHHHHHHH just in case i have figured out food !! lmao 9 this S**** is all S*** ) anthing thats good - my dog will stop being a BRAT TO EAT ( SUPPPER SUPPER YUMMY ) thats NOT going to undo all the good i am doing in his diet -

Josue

Boxer Buddy
Some great info in this thread! We've tried Authority for the past few days now, because our new rescue wasn't fond of Nutro Lamb and Rice, or Science Diet Lamb and Rice, but we've also been mixing in some Ceasar wet food to get him started on it, so we're worried that he may not even like this food either, but he's only eating it because of the Ceasar.

I really like the ingredient list in TOTW and Chicken Soup, so we may try those next...

Status
Not open for further replies.