1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At Wits End.

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by tthoring, Feb 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tthoring

tthoring Boxer Pal

Hey Guys I posted about a month ago, about both him having accidents in the house and crate Training. I am sorry for doing this to you all again, but HELP.

For about a week, he was good, and would hold it till we got outside and he would go outside. Now all of a sudden, its like he doesnt care, just goes wherever he wants. Then ill get him on a decent schedule again, and if i leave him home with my wife, as soon as i walk out the door, he goes and finds a place to squat. It doesnt even matter if i take him out right before i leave, he goes as soon as i leave as well. HELP!

NExt. Crate Training. lol this whole "Keep him in the room with you" Doesnt help a bit, he cries all night long. I ignore him, and my wife ignores him, we both but on head phones and it totally drowns him out. But again, he cries forever. And now, he seems to take a crap in his crate. I dont know if its because he is mad or what. But he chews his crate and now.. is crapping and peeing in it. Im just about fed up guys. I have no idea what to do. PLease please please if someone has had the same problems please let me know. I dont want to give him up.

2. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

Hi. Not sure I saw your other post but how old is he? And what is his schedule exactly? They do not do things because they are "mad" by the way :) so some part of his training has not worked and you may have to go back to square one. But how much exercise, mental stimulation does he get? What does he eat and when? Sorry if you already provided this info but I am sure there is an answer for you :)

3. tthoring

tthoring Boxer Pal

well his schedule is this. He eats at 9 am, and then is taken outside 20-30 mins later. we then let him out at around noon, he then eats at 2 and is taken out again 20-30 mins later, then at 4 or 4:30 we take him out, then he eats again at 6 or 7 and is taken out agian 20-30mins later. Of course if we see him sniffing around he goes outside instantly.

Now, since we got him the only exericise he gets is occaisionally we go to my parents house and we let him play with their beagle. The reason for this is because its so cold here, that he doesnt wanna stay out side longer than he has to.

He is 3 months old. and if you have any advice on the crate training that would be great too.

4. Gruntsmom

Gruntsmom Boxer Insane

Please don't give up on your puppy! The first year, in my own experience, is the hardest. First of all, your puppy is looking to you for guidance and direction. If he isn't doing what you want him to do, you need to reevaluate what you are doing/how you are training him. Patience, kindness, consistency, and setting him up to succeed are the keys that worked for me. There is a wealth of information and members' experiences in the training forum. I wish I would have known about Boxerworld that first year! My poor Grunt Boy somehow survived with his clueless mom, but it would have helped us immeasurably to have had the expertise and support of these wonderful BW people. We've all been through what you are going through. I urge you to spend some time reading here. Again, your puppy is just a baby, and depends on you to teach him all the things he needs to know to live happily with you. Hang in there, and check the Training forum out! ;)

5. caruse

caruse Boxer Insane

He is still a baby! My Frazier is 6 months old and is just now being able to be trusted to "hold it"..I think you need to go back to basics and he needs to go out a little more frequently...sometimes every 1/2 to 1 hour...I noticed that my little boy would pee a lot more often then my little girl...in the beginning we put a white board on the fridge and if someone took them out we would write the time and yes they went or no they didn't or was there an accident, but it did give us a good idea how often the puppies needed to go...also my puppy trainer had told someone in our group to try feeding him his meals in the crate...or where they tended to have an accident as they won't go where they eat...If he has an accident don't scold just a loud "no" and immediately pick him up and bring him outside even if he has finished...I think this time of year is hard to train as the weather isn't that good, if it was nicer you could spend more time outside...hang in there.. they do grow up and boxers are really fast learners with positive praise, lots of praise and patience...good luck!!
    Barbara lovicon

6. HurricaneBox

HurricaneBox Boxer Insane

Agree with the PP! 3 months is soooo young, especially for a boy. Hurricane was taken out every 30 min to 1 hour until he was at least 4 months old and then we gradually extended the time between potty times. He finally is now (at almost 2 years) to 4 - 5 times per day going out. At your pup's age he really should be going out more often than that. Keep in mind too, some dogs take longer to "get it" OR for their bladder muscles to mature... some dogs are not reliably potty trained until a year or older. At 3 months there is no way your pup understands you or the concept of going "outside" only... at this point it is entirely up to you to prevent accidents, not his to let you know beforehand! I would go back to taking him out every hour or so for a while, then slowly building up the time over a matter of months. Ah the joys of puppy ownership! :)

I feel your pain, this time is the hardest, but it does get better... they do get it eventually, so just hang in there!

7. ELubas

ELubas Boxer Insane

I knew you would get some great advice-and you did :) He is a baby baby-from your post, to be honest, I thought he was much older. You have a long way to go , my friend :)

So I assume he is not crated at all during the day-just at night? I would suggest you make him LOVE his crate by feeding him in it, putting great stuff in it, etc. all while the door is open so he can come and go. As for the nights, he cannot go all night without having to go out so some of that whining may be letting you know that? When I had baby pups, I just took them out every few hours to be sure they did not have an accident. I never crated at night but lots of folks here do and I am sure they will advise you. They will cry and whine but eventually should settle.

Your baby needs to get worn out one way or the other :) So play games-one of our favorites in bad weather was to get out a ball and throw it down the stairs-pup runs down and brings it back-throw it again ! Also, instead of feeding your pup from a bowl we played hide and seek with kongs so they "found " thier supper around the house. And you could maybe do a puppy class and get him socialized and tired at the same time. Regardless you gotta tire him out and your nights will be easier.

Hang in there! They grow up and turn gray and you would give anything to have them young again lovicon Good luck (and search the puppy threads here !!)

8. BoxerMom999

BoxerMom999 Boxer Insane

I also agree that he needs to go out to do his business more frequently - he is still very very young. Also, exercise would help. Even if going outside is problematic due to the cold can you take him somewhere like PetSmart ( if he has had all his shots ) or to puppy day care? Can you play games in the house? If he is tired he is more likely to sleep.

9. beatmincer

beatmincer Boxer Pal

Teaching a boxer to pee on your command

Hi!

Your boxer is still a small puppy, have some patience and make sure to take frequent walks with him at regular hours so that he gets "programmed" into understanding the difference between indoors and outside.

Whenever he squats to take a leak inside, catch him in the act and shove him outside directly with plenty of praise for the few drops that end up on the lawn and not in the hallway. :)

Each time he takes a pee outside, say the word "pee-pee" as soon as he goes. When he's done, reward him lavishly with a happy voice and perhaps a small treat.

Our boxer is now 8 months old and does his business immediately when we say the pee-pee word :)

Again, patience is a virtue here. Expect to have indoor accidents every now and then up until 6-7 months!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.