Arizona update

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmccown

Boxer Booster
Hey all!
It has been sometime since I posted an update on my work with Central and Northern Arizona Boxer rescue. I am pleased to report we were fortunate enough to find wonderful homes for almost all our rescue babies partyicon

Ranger has gone to a great couple, of whom the husband has been owned by Boxers for 50 years. They recently had their "Duke" go to the bridge at 12. That same week they called about Ranger. Upon meeting him they instantly fell in love, and he with them. As fate would have it Ranger was the spitting image of Duke. So, he has been renamed "Bud" and has a sister named Honey. He has packed on weight and is livin large in Scottsdale.

Ruby, unfortunately, came back to us after her first adoption failed(3 months later). Apparently she was labeled as unruly (what Boxer isn't) and unfit for children. Well, Ruby came to my house, ate like a piggy as she was quite skinny and stuck to me and my boys like glue. I cannot help but wonder if she was stuck in the yard with no companionship. Anyway, she did wonderfully with my neighbors children (4 and 2) and got along famously with my dogs. She loved Blue. She would insist on being right by him. It was almost like a little sister behaves to her cool, older brother. Trust me having been that annoying little sister, I know from whence I speak:) Well, Ruby met Chris last week and it was another love match. She climbed into his ruby red souped up Honda and drove off into the sunset (literally).

I have checked on both dogs and everything is going well at each household. Now, onto Nikki. A lovely deaf white female. She is aggressive to all other dogs and children and has severe seperation anxiety. I fostered her for several weeks until the police came by because a neighbor called about the barking while I was at work. Also, she has too many run ins with my dogs and I did not want to chance a large vet bill to stitch anyone up. So, she moved to another foster home. At this time we have no one who is without other animals or children. So Nikki is still at the fosters house with no prospects in sight. It is cases like this that dishearten me from rescue.

On a brighter note, when I get photos from successful adoptions, it does make it all worth it. I swear that Blue gets attached to these dogs. Maybe he feels an affinity for other rescues, because he remembers his ugly past. Who knows. After a foster leaves, he will sit at the door and sigh for hours. It is very sweet. Rebel, at this point, just looks at me and says "Okay who is coming next?"

We are scheduled to make a Boxer run to bring some needy pups back from the border of California and Arizona in 2 weeks. Wish me luck on finding them wonderful new homes. Lastly, I must say, that while I feel I have not done enough for our country since the crisis, my activities of blood donation, flagging my car(you should see it, I look like a diplomat, I have so many flags) and my rescue work is doing my soul some good.

May we all heal and remain supportive of our leaders during the dark times ahead. This will not be an easy fight, but it is a good fight and one worth undertaking, no matter how long, how difficult or how confusing it may become. God Bless you (or whomsoever you pray to)

Marnie

http://rebelandblue.homestead.com/RebelsWorld.html

Mommy2Cool

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi Marnie:p

What wonderful work you do! I have been thinking of fostering, any tips?

Thanks for the update:)

bonnie

Super Boxer
Marnie,

I would like to thank you, and everyone associated with rescue, for all that you do. If everyone in the world would do just one small good deed, it would make a difference.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday. God Bless you and your family.

mmccown

Boxer Booster
Rescue reminiscences and updates (very long)

Wow!
Thank you so much for the words of kindness and encouragement. Rescue can be very challenging, frustrating and yet, rewarding.

It has been a long time since I posted on on my rescue activities so here is a brief update...maybe not so brief :D

Gosh, I feel like I have had so many, where to begin. Well, there was Frankie, a 6 month old white male with partial hearing and blue eyes. He was wonderful and very active. He came in from LA and fostered with me for several weeks before going to a wonderful home with a young couple and their Boxer female. I received a great card and photo of Frankie a few weeks ago and he looks wonderful and is already through his basic obedience class. He was very attached to Blue and I have several photos of them together, like an older brother being tailed by his little brother.

Then there was Webber, also from LA. A big boy with a mastiff-y head, he was a gorgeous mahogany brindle with a face that was half white half brindle, just striking. He was so sweet with the most gentle kisses. He and Frankie came in on the run I did to CA/AZ border to pick up 6 dogs. Webber was adopted by a wonderful couple and he was renamed Oscar and the latest update was that he had a cancerous leison removed from the nape of his neck and was doing very well. His new people also sent me a photo of him in a leather Harley jacket! Too cute!

My next baby that came in was Breezy. She was a great little girl. I called her my pocket Boxer because she was very petite and about 40 pounds. She had a beagle-y face with buggy eyes and was so funny looking she was adorable. She was a local owner surrender. They claimed she was untrainable, not housebroken and mean to their doberman. Well, they crated her for 19 hours a day, wouldn't you be mean too??? Anyway, when the left my house, I asked Breezy to sit, she sat perfectly. Same for down, come, go , take, leave, up, off, over,etc. I renamed her Brezzy from Brie, as I couldn't understand why you would name a dog after cheese :) She was the perfect companion. I took her to the dog park and taught her all the obstacles except the tunnel. She was so athletic and could out jump my boys easily, like she had springs! A wonderful girl, that I probably should have kept. At our last adoption day, Breezy finally found a home with a big, burly guy who fell in love with her instantly. I wasn't there to see her go, which was good because I would have cried the entire time. Apparently she is doing well and getting lots of love.

My other local dog was another owner surrender. A big boy named Lucky. Huge, about 100 pounds, fit and almost black reverse brindle. Great boy. Big slobbery mouth, wild pie eyes, and a huge melon head. Just a riot. Loved to snuggle and was a big momma's boy. Lucky learned how to come in the dog door within 3 days, but never did figure out how to go outside using the dog door, he just rang the bells to let me know he needed to go outside. Lucky patrolled the walls in the yard making sure intruders and birds did not invade. He was very diligent in his duties. Had I acted fast enough, I would have been able to keep him. He loved to play with Blue and Rebel although his size was such that he knocked them down quite often! Alas, at our adoption day, Lucky was scooped up by a great family with 3 boys ranging from 12 to 16 years. A perfect fit for Lucky. Of course I called them a week later to check on my boy and the father was effusive in his praise for Lucky and how well he was doing with his family. Another success and all I had to spend were a few tears at a great foster leaving my care.

Onto Ginger. She was a puppy, about 6 monthis in age and a terror! Very unruly with no social skills, but very cute. A deep red fawn with white toes, almost a copy of Rebel, without the flash on the face. Just lovely. She was aggresive with my dogs and Breezy. Not always, just sometimes. I thought it was rescue aggression, coming from a bad situation. She was very skinny and dirty but not ill. So, we worked through this with only a few minor scrapes and I did keep her seperate from the others. Then one fine day, I was taking her through the house outside for her last pee pee run before bed and Blue and Breezy ambushed her. Well, I broke up the fight using my dining chair (and broke it) Breezy was fine, Blue had bites on his legs and Ginger had a nasty bite on her head. I was so distraught as my worst fear is having harm come to a dog in my care. I called my rescue mentor very shaken up. She calmed me down and advised me as to care. I cleaned Blues leg wounds, admonished he and Breezy and went to take care of little puppy. She was fine, but very cuddly all of a sudden ;) Gee, I wonder why. Anyway, her headwound was not deep, but I could see into her head as it was a rip of the skin and it was almost a seam that I could stick my finger into. So, I called my afterhours vet and was advised that I should just leave it alone for now and bring her in the next morning. To wrap this up, she was fine, didn't need stitches and went to our kennel facility up north. She is still waiting on a home, so keep your fingers crossed. I think my dogs were just sick of a puppies attitude and aggression, which is why they let her have it. Looking back this little girl has a more wedge shaped head and may have some pit bull in her. Not that that would make her a bad pet, but she may need more work than that average Boxer to be a pleasant companion.

Lastly, is Coco. She is a sweet fawn female living with me now. She is very snuggly, sweet and freakishly strong. She loves to sleep next to me and the boys, hates getting up when it is cold, and enjoys getting belly rubs. Coco had a severe case of kennel cough when she came in, but I pumped her full of doxy and she is on the mend. The healthier she gets, the more her personality shines through. She is a big flirt and is so funny to watch with Blue and Rebel. A very protective little girl, she is a good watchdog and growls at any little noise she doesn't think is normal. I am sure I can find her a great home, but until then she will be my baby.

As Christmas approaches, I look forward to a visit from my friend who is bringing his 2 Boxers with him. That means I will have 5 adults Boxers in my tiny house for Christmas. What could be more joyous???? 6, maybe?

Here is wishing you a lovely Christmas and a New Year filled with every blessing.

Marnie

Status
Not open for further replies.