Arizona residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ona

Boxer Booster
Hey everyone from Arizona!!

Torrey and I are thinking about moving to Arizona. But the thing is, I don't know jack about this state!! I know it is hot and humid. I would like to know a few things: is there a "horse country"? I am a horse trainer by trade and in training to be a dog groomer. Torrey is a waiter so he can find a job anywhere. Is it hard to find a job? Is it hard to find a place to live? Another thing is, Torrey and I are a interacial couple, he is Black. is this a rare thing, is it accepeted (sp)?
Or will we be harressed? (sp) I am a great speller!!

Thanks of all the info!!

------------------
Ona
Derek-rainbow bridge at 14 and 1/2
Tyler-rainbow bridge at 10 months
Currently dogless

B

Badassboxer

Come on down to the dust bowl!!! You guys sound like you're already here anyway, horse trainers, waiters, and interracial (I am AA/Irish and my hubby is a gringo! :) ) But there is plenty of that everywhere here, plenty of horses, plenty of jobs! Where are you coming from again?

What part of Arizona are you looking?
Northern, Phoenix or Tucson? The weather is a bit different for each of these. If you're moving to Phoenix, I can tell you a lot.

JoAnn is from Tucson, I don't think we have anyone on the board from Northern AZ, but I can tell you a little about it.

Let me know a bit more! I'll write a bit more too, as I'm in a rush right now!

PS I saw you're from the East Coast, you are going to miss the changing of the seasons! There are no seasons here, unless you're up north, there's only hot and hotter (hee-hee)

[This message has been edited by Badassboxer (edited 09-13-2000).]

Ona

Boxer Booster
hey Badass, Thanks for the tid-bits. I don't know what area yet. I am in to English horse training, or so much Western riding. But is does not matter to much.
We are coming from Delawere. I am orginally from Outside of Philly in PA and he is orginally from VA just a hour west of Wash. DC. I would like to be somewhere that has some season change.

I know nothing about this state so any info would be great.

Any one please feel free to e-mail me privatly.
pony_girl76@yahoo.com

Thanks Again

------------------
Ona
Currently dogless

Ona

Boxer Booster
hey Badass, Thanks for the tid-bits. I don't know what area yet. I am in to English horse training, or so much Western riding. But is does not matter to much.
We are coming from Delawere. I am orginally from Outside of Philly in PA and he is orginally from VA just a hour west of Wash. DC. I would like to be somewhere that has some season change, but it does not matter. I know that it is generally the same season all year long.
I know nothing about this state so any info would be great.

Any one please feel free to e-mail me privatly.
pony_girl76@yahoo.com

Thanks Again

------------------
Ona
Currently dogless

JoAnn

Super Boxer
Oh, AZ. is great. We have had opportunities to go to other places but can't imagine moving from Tucson. Tucson is a growing city, but not as hectic and large as Phoenix. We somehow manage to stay close knit, especially when some tradegy hits our city. There is horse country down here also. As for the heat, you get use to it, it is a different kind of heat then back east Our town is surrounded by 4 mountain ranges, if you need a little cooling and forest it is only a 30 minute drive up the mountain and there you are. As for racist people they are all over, but I have actually only encountered it with people who come for the winter from back east. (sorry) I am Mexican and my hubby is Irish. I also have a sister in law who is black, and they have never had a problem with that here. As for our job market we just had an article on our front page about how great our job market is. Well if you need anymore info, feel free to email me personally. JoAnn

EMWAZ

Super Boxer
First you have to learn to drink a lot of water in the summertime, second it is a good place to live and you do get tired of the heat, but after the mild winters you are read for it again. Our favorite thing about Arizona is when its hot, it only takes about 4 hours to get out of it, less if you live in Tucson, we go to Mt. Lemmon which is less than an hour away. We camp a lot. The other thing is California is close but not too close and Vegas is close too. As far as your relationship its not rare or uncommon here. I think you would find Arizona a very welcoming state.

------------------
Babe, 1 1/2 yrs, dark brindle, natural ears, rainbow bridge 88
Buster, 12 1/4 yrs, fawn, natural ears, rainbow bridge 3/99
Pancho, 2 yrs, fawn, natural ears
Zoe, 4 yrs, boxer mix, red brindle (long nose), natural ears

Esther & Gary

Ona

Boxer Booster
Thanks to everyone!! We still don't know where we are going. We are now looking at Ocala flordia. So we will see. I will let everyone know where we end up as soon as I know!

Thanks again,

------------------
Ona
Currently dogless

baylor

Boxer Pal
Ona,

Arizona, especially Tucson is wonderful! My wife and I are also a biracial couple. I originally grew up in California and found more problems there concerning race than in Arizona or New Mexico (were we currently live).

However, Arizona and the southwest are for the outdoor type. It will take time to appreciate the "bland" beauty of the desert; I hated it at first, but now can't imagine living outside of the southwest.

Job prospects are slim--I think especially in Tucson (which is smaller and better than Phoenix)--just a personal opinion since I lived in Phoenix and found it not too different from L.A.

Hope this helps...Baylor

Status
Not open for further replies.