1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ARGH - Chicken meal in everything

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Mega's Mom, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

Oy. I'm trying to find a lower cost alternative to Fromm now that I am feeding two babies. I'm pretty sure Jester is allergic to chicken so I'm trying to find a food base without chicken. I looked into TOTW and Blue Buffalo grain free but a lot of their other-protein based foods have chicken meal. confusedicon Would the chicken meal alone be enough to cause tummy upsets? I'm thinking it would? Anyway, any advice for NO chicken dog, reasonably priced dog foods. I may end up just sticking with Fromm.

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Do you belong to Costoo? I feed Nature's Domain from Costco. The price is good, about 44 dollars for a large bag. They have Salmon and Sweet potato, Turkey and sweet potato, and Duck and Chickpea. They also have an organic one, but I can't remember what the ingredients are.

Mega's Mom likes this.
  3. Mega's Mom

Mega's Mom Boxer Insane

I don't belong to Costco. I did go to the feed store near my house, talked to one of the women who worked there and she suggested Infinia (Salmon and Sweet Potato). The ingredients looked good and it's a little better price point than Fromm so I'll see how that goes. I've never heard of it? Has anyone else? Just a little concerned about the lower protein count (22%) but I usually add some type of canned food to their dry.

Salmon, Menhaden fish meal* (natural source of glucosamine and chondroitin), sweet potatoes, potatoes, peas, canola oil, potato fiber, natural flavor, salmon oil (a source of DHA), salt, methionine, mixed tocopherols (a natural preservative and source of vitamin E), dried chicory root, taurine, glucosamine hydrochloride, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, thiamine mononitrate [vitamin B1], ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride [vitamin B6], vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin [vitamin B2], vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid), choline chloride, L-carnitine, yucca schidigera extract, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, chondroitin sulfate, minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite)

Edit: Looks like Infinia also makes a Bison and Sweet Potato variety. That has 34% protein. I could try that in my rotation if the Salmon Sweet Potato works out.

4. Bathel

Bathel Super Boxer

You could try Blue Basics limited Ingredients by Blue Buffalo. I use it in my rotation of food for my little girl. It's a single source protein food No chicken or Beef by-products or meals. I get the grain free Salmon/potato and I also get the Turkey one for my girl, but the Salmon one should be good if you want to stay away from the Turkey. I think they have a lamb and a duck also in the grain free.

You can get it at Petco, PetSmart and most online stores...