1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aren't pork and ham bad for dogs? (vent!)

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by angray, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angray

angray Boxer Booster

My friend watched Mugsy the other day while we were at an all day function. I gave her his food and told her some things that he can eat - like chicken (I even packed a container of chicken to add to his food if he wouldn't eat.)

Well, she didnt' give him the chicken - instead she gave him ham with his food. I was really upset about this since I thought ham and pork products were not good for dogs - especially their digestive system. Today he's been sick (not eating anything and he threw up once.) He has a very sensitive stomach, and I'm wondering if the ham agitated it.

Am I wrong about ham and pork products? Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

2. Shakira's Ma

Shakira's Ma Banned

You know I have always been told this too, and have actually seen a segment on our local news station about this particular thing, ham and pork, also green beans. I mentioned this one time on this board and was told that it wouldn't hurt our dogs. However, my mom gave her Corgi Welsh ham and he bled very bad from his bowels, he had to go to the vet and they said it was definately the ham. I will never feed my dogs ham and I won't feed them other things I have heard about, if others can do it successfully then that is okay, but that was enough to make me decide NO HAM for my babies. You might want to call the vets about this. The people here on the board said that maybe it was because of the ham being salt and smoke cured instead of fresh, I don't know but it was scary. Good Luck and hopefully your baby will feel better soon, but please phone your vet.

3. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

There's nothing wrong with feeding raw pork - lots of members here feed it regularly.

I would be wary though, of feeding smoked or cured ham - because of the salt content. But if we're just talking about raw pork, then there is no problem.

If you're interested in reading more, here are the results of a basic search of the raw feeding forum: http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/search.php?searchid=146681

And this thread in particular (though there are probably others) discusses the realities versus myths of feeding pork: http://www.boxerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52116

4. BooBoo & Riley

BooBoo & Riley Completely Boxer Crazy

There's nothing wrong with Pork... some dogs do have a little more gas with pork than other meats, that's all. Although if your friend gave cooked ham (arn't all ham cooked?), then all the salt used as perservitives in the ham is not good for dogs.

5. Laurie_Duke

Laurie_Duke Completely Boxer Crazy

I have also fed raw pork on occasions....never had an issue with it...but I could see why the ham did not agree with his tummy....give him a hug !!!

Laurie

6. myrocky

myrocky Boxer Insane

We give pork here too and the only ham Rocky gets is maybe a wee piece of lunchmeat ham. The salt content is ham is way too high to be given to a dog, IMO. But there is nothing wrong with feeding pork. :)

7. Alydarling

Alydarling Boxer Buddy

If only given every now and then I really don't think the salt content in a piece or even several pieces of ham is going to do serious harm to a dog. Our dogs and my parents dogs enjoy nothing better than getting a big fat ham bone at Christmastime. Can't do too much harm as my dad's boxers avg lifespans are running right at 14 years. I would be kinda upset though if I specifically told them to feed my dog the food I brought, no matter what it was and they did something else, kinda rude if you ask me.

8. Salina

Salina Boxer Pal

Our dog also loves ham (sandwich meat). My husband gives
    him a piece every now and then. We did give him a piece of honey
    baked ham at Thanksgiving and it was a big mistake. He had diarrhea
    all the next day. I will never do that again. He's never tried
    pork.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.