1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are you suppose to peel sweet potatoes?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by Taren, Jul 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taren

Taren Completely Boxer Crazy

im am giving maverick some sweet potatoes and im just wondering if you are suppose to peel them?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Personally, I would. A dog doesn't digest vegetable matter well at the best of times, and I really doubt he's going to digest the skin on sweet potato. Are they cooked? If so, I don't see it as a huge issue really - he probably still wouldn't digest it but should pass it OK.

The skin on normal potatoes is a different matter though. That and any green parts are somewhat toxic (actually green parts on potato are toxic to humans too) and should be removed before feeding.

3. sgbtab

sgbtab Banned

I cook my sweet potatoes first. I use to take the skin off. but I don't anymore they seem to do fine and it is less of a hassle for me.:)

4. gracie&cam

gracie&cam Boxer Booster

I gave Moon sweet potato for the first time Sunday as a treat and he loved it. It was so hot here and I couldn't bear to turn on the stove or oven so I poked a bunch of holes in it and microwaved it (large sweet potato, 6 minutes or so turning every once in a while). Then I cut it into chunks and the skin easily came off. Once it was cool, Moon enjoyed his first (of likely many) sweet potatoes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.