Are pecans okay for boxers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomer'sPapa

Super Boxer
I'm just curious....my mom and I were shelling pecans this afternoon, and both Boomer and Daniela were close by, waiting for any broken pieces, or offerings from either mom or me. They both seem to really enjoy pecans. They didn't have a whole bunch, but I'm curious to see if pecans are bad for them?

Scott

SkippyToo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I hope they are not bad for boxers because mine get an occasional piece or two (not much). My boxers have not had a reaction to them.

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
My back yard is host to hundreds of pecans which fall from the neighbors' trees which are very large and produce a LOT of pecans. Maggie loves to get them a chew on them, crack the shells and eat them. Thus far (since I can't seem to stop her, the little sneak), no reaction to them at all. If the nut part is not good I notice that she spits it out and gets another one.

I cook a lot with pecans as well and they've had some from cookies and so forth and have shown no adverse reaction to them.

I also don't recall reading anywhere of any toxicity to dogs from pecans, but I am not positive of that.

I'm not so worried about them myself since Maggie's been "shelling" her own for about a half a year now with no reaction.

Dan

SkippyToo

Completely Boxer Crazy
This is good to hear. I have pecan, hickory and black walnut trees around my place. The boxers do not bother with any of the nuts on the ground. I allow the squirrels to get most of those. What they do want to bother with, though, is the box of pecans (not shelled yet), sitting in my pantry. Ha! I can get something out of the pantry, not have the door shut yet, and they will busily have their nose (mainly Samson) in the pecan box. What nuts they are!

Status
Not open for further replies.