Are mesquite seed pods harmful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
We have a large mesquite tree in the back yard and it's the time of year when the seed pods drop into the yard. Of course, both boxers seem to love them and it's the first place they go when we let them outside. Does anyone know if they are poisonous? They don't seem to be bothered by them and unfortunately, I don't think there's anyway to keep them picked up.

Cindy

Bitty's Mom

Boxer Pal
hmmmmmmmmmm

Cindy,

Another Arizonan here...I'm not sure about the pods being poisonous or not. But to be on the safe side...I go out and quickly rake/trash them every morning before I let Bitty Bo out. I just didn't want to take a chance on them.

I do know that if you have oleanders...they are highly poison. My hubby completely removed both oleander bushes from our yard.

joyjoy

Boxer Pal
Mesquite beans

I grew up in So TX (near Laredo) and mesquite trees are everywhere. I know for a fact the beans are not poisonous - my granddad showed us how Native Americans would chew them and we did it all the time. I know it sounds strange, but they are sweet inside which I'm sure is why your dogs like them. Probably consuming large quantities of them is a bad idea, but I'm living proof that eating a mesquite bean (or two) won't hurt you.

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
joyjoy,
Thanks for the info and what a relief. It's really hard to keep them picked up and they do eat them quite frequently. Guess I won't worry too much about picking them up and just keep an eye to be sure they aren't eating lots and lots of them.
Thanks again.
Cindy

joyjoy

Boxer Pal
Cindy,
Your question actually sparked kind of stroll down memory lane for me. I talked to my dad tonight (Father's Day and all) and I told him about people having concerns about their dogs eating mesquite beans. He confirmed my memory, that yes, we'd chew those beans because they were sweet, but he also reminded me of something else. There were cattle on this ranch that would eat the mesquite beans, too, and some would get gastrointestinal problems if they ate too many. We're talking LOADS of the beans here, though. He said there was some name for the ailment, but it was basically big ol' cow gas. Gross. Anyway, the things are certainly not poisonous, only problematic if eaten in huge quantities - like a cow would do. Just don't let your boxer babies cow down on 'em!. :eek:

Melanie

AZ Boxer Boys

Boxer Insane
joyjoy,
Thanks for responding - I didn't even think about them being 'beans' and what normally happens when you eat beans. The dogs don't normally have gas, so if they start to have more than normal - I'll know what the culprit is.

Thanks
Cindy

Status
Not open for further replies.