Are females fiestier??

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvmydog

Boxer Booster
Alright, so the first few weeks with Venus here have been very interesting? She has a totally different attitude then Apollo. He is and has always been on the lazier side. he would love to just play for about 20 minutes and then sleep for the rest of the day. He was also very very easy to train.. On the other hand, there's Venus. Now I don't even know where to begin with Venus. She is such clown. A nonstop very hyper clown that is. And just as stubborn as can be. She gives me these looks like"do you really think I'm going to listen to you?" So I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it's just females in general that are like this, or did I just get one that's one of a kind(either apollo or venus)

Annie

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Hard to say. I think it is more an individual dog thing than a gender issue.

However, there are differences in males and females, for sure. I've always had females and just got my first male. I can see big differences in them already. He's more laid back, less hyper and pretty easy going. The girls are much more hyper, more "guarding" and stubborn at times.

I can't really comment on the training since I've only begun with the male and he is deaf so there are special circumstances involved here which might skew the equation. So, I won't comment on who is easier to train except to say that Maggie was hell on wheels to train and Susie was a snap. Go figure. Individual personalities, I think.

Super Boo

Completely Boxer Crazy
I agree. Boo (female) was crazy hyper, needs continual active attention and is kind of confrontational with other dogs.

Skye (male) is WAY more laid back--ok with just lying down next to you or playing by himself. He also gets along a lot better with other dogs. Dogs that won't play with Boo just love him. He has no problem rolling on his back to play with other dogs where Boo just tries to dominate them.

exk23

Super Boxer
I have the same observation with my two also. Ruby enjoys his walks and Lily looks for other dogs to confront. She's the one who barks when some one or something walk across the house. She always have to have the last woof when we're trying to tell her she's a bad dog for doing something she shouldn't. She is stubborn too. BUT, we love her anyway.

E

kirabug

Boxer Buddy
My girl

Though Kira is my first boxer, I would have to say that I did not feel that she was to hard to train...except on the potty training issue, but she suffered from a bladder infection which was one reason things didn't go so well. Going #2 outside was the big issue, she preffered to pooh infront of the toilet in the bathroom (maybe I should have just built her steps right up there). Kira was also the most mellow puppy I have ever had, but again this could be because of her special condition.....
quick story!
I got Kira from a woman who's boxer developed mange while pregnat and was to far along to abort the puppies (the mom later died from the infection), she had been a reputable breeder who ran into a unfortunate problem...she asked me if I would like to have one of the puppies, she wanted them to go to homes who were informed of the condition and would be able to care for these specail angels. I received Kira for free and made her a verbal agreement that she would be spayed (which I would have done anyway). Kira lasted about 2 weeks after I got her home before breaking out in full on mange...which I had to fight for months...she is fully health now and has no scaring, unfortunatley her two brothers did not make it, had I known they were not going to be cared for properly I would have taken them all!!!!

Anyway back to training! Kira is still a really good girl and on occasion can get a little to big for her britches, and if she gets in trouble she takes things very personally...I try never to yell at her ( her expression and reaction make me cry), but instead send her to her room (yes our dogs have there own bedroom). This has been the way that I have found to modify unexceptable behavior from Kira because of her love to always be with the family. All other training issues were very easy for her!

Appologies for this long winded response. I would have to agree with the rest of the thread posters...I think it really depends on personallity of every individual dog...which every boxer owner knows that all boxer all have huge personalities.

I am sure she will come around just fine!
Ang & Kira Bug

shaun64

Boxer Booster
I have to say Zeus is definitly (sp) more laid back than Roxy. I thought she would calm down by now, but she keeps Zeus on his toes (and ours).

Roxymyboxy

Super Boxer
Our wild little girl!

Well,
Being a long time dog lover, but first time Boxer lover.....I have to agree that our little Roxy is a wild one! Sweet as can be, stubborn as can be and teases Trooper crazy! So, maybe females in the "Boxer World" are more feisty!
She is only 7mos old though so she will probably settle down....
We wouldn't trade her for anything just the way she is.....:)

Layla may be the execption to the rule, but for the most part she is very laid back and can be found taking a nap any where at any time! You should see the collection of pics I have of her sleeping, too funny and too cute...She does have her active times, but for a boxer thats only 1 she's pretty laid back. I've always wondered of two boxer households, if the more active boxers are the second ones added to families? Seeing that they are in constant "go" mode from having another playmate always at there disposal? Any thoughts on this?
Angie

M&M'sMaMa

Boxer Buddy
Hi. I have a male and a female that are littermates (about 6 months old). Right from the start I could see that Metal (my male) is much more laid back, cuddly and obediant. Magnolia (my female) is always the instigator during play time with both Metal and my boyfriend and I :) . I never owned a female dog before so I'm not sure if her personality is unique to her or is partially because she is a female. But I had to laugh when you said your female is more stubborn and just looks at you like "you think i'm going to listen to you" because mine does that too!!!!!!!!! Especially when it's time for bed... I'll say "go to bed" and Metal will run up the stairs so fast and get in his crate and sit and wait the 5 minutes it takes me to coax Magnolia to go up there. Sometimes i go up stairs and give him a treat and put him to bed and when i come back down she is just sitting in the living room looking at me like i'm nuts! It can be irritating when i'm in a rush but i have to tell you I love my pups! Good Luck!

GillianF

Boxer Booster
We also have two littermates - Ttakas is the Male and Bronte is the female - and yes, very definitely she is the more fiesty of the two. Ttakas is the bigger of the two (80 lbs) and has the occasional burst of energy, but Bronte is always the instigator of any games of chase, etc. With due apologies to football enthusiasts - my daughter's description of Ttakas is 'Big and dumb like a football player' ! ! ! They are seven years old now and have slowed down somewhat, but we still enjoy their antics when they get going!! Also, Bronte is the one to play with my grandaughter, whereas Ttakas just moves away!

Status
Not open for further replies.