1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are Boxers Protective?

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by My D-man, Jun 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My D-man

My D-man Boxer Buddy

I'm sure some of you are familiar with Diamond, my baby. He's doing wonderful, and just learned a couple new tricks!!

I recently moved into a new neighborhood and I am now living by myself. (and for those of you who remember my old roommate, "tough love" guy, he is one huge reason why I made the move) Now, Diamond and I are so happy with a huge park right outside to play in.

Well, here's my question... I never really thought about it before, but are Boxers protective? I am a little nervous living by myself, and I am a bit worried that He would just make friends with everyone he sees (like he usually does). BUT, get this... the other day, he saw a couple people across the way, and they asked about my dog. And once they started coming my way, he barked and growled at them and the hair stood up like a Ridgeback's would. Also, he heard some noises (which was someone coming down the stairs) and he stood right up and started growling (his growl would scare me if I didn't know him-it's REALLY deep. :eek: Anyone else's boxer like that?) Is it just the new surroundings and new noises or is it that he is being protective?:)
    Thanks!!

2. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

My Eddie is VERY protective!! No one would ever hurt me with him around, I feel very confident about that! Even my own husband will get barked and growled at if he is rough playing with me. With my husband that is as far as it goes, or if I tell Eddie it is ok he will go lay down. He is the same way with my kids, we have a school beside our house that my kids play at on the weekend, I always know when an adult is there because Eddie will stand at the fence and bark at first then just stand there the whole time and watch them! He loves his family and there is no doubt in my mind that he would protect us :)

3. My D-man

My D-man Boxer Buddy

That's great!!

Wow! I never expected that quick of a response!! That is REALLY cool that Eddie is protective. Do you think that it is just instinct? There is really not a whole lot you can do to teach him that is there? :confused:

Although, when Diamond does growl and it seems as though he is being protective, I do say to him "what's that?" in a voice that seems to make him more attentive. I like that. And, Diamond does the same as Eddie, when I say, "it's okay" then he seems to relax. So, I do try to encourage him when he is being "protective", so maybe that will work? :confused:

My little kingicon ,
    Diamond

4. TigersMommy.

TigersMommy. Guest

Tiger does the same thing. They are very alert dogs, and every little sound they will pop their heads up. Everytime someone walks by our place that he doesn't know he growls from the bottom of his stomach and barks a mean bark. He seems to be a good judge of character though. People that we don't get along with he won't wiggle at, but if someone comes up to us in a friendly way, he is all wiggly.

5. Eddie's  mom

Eddie's mom Guest

I also encourage Eddie when he barks at noises and stuff like that, I tell him he is a good boy, then tell him its O.k. He seems to take my word for it and back off.
    It must just be instinct because we did nothing to teach this behavior, he just started doing it when he was 2 I think. He is especially cautious when my husband is not home to anyone who comes to the door. If hubby is home, he doesn't get to excited when someone comes to the door anymore.

6. Storri

Storri Boxer Insane

My Joe is 6.5 months and for the first time Saturday night showed his protective side. I was out and my oldest son was home with Joe. When my key hit the door he went CRAZY! He had a bark and growl that I have never heard before and he came running out of my sons room to "check out" the situation. His hair was standing up on his back and he was going to get whoever it was coming through that door. Well of course when he saw it was me his just started kidney beaning around me and then gave me a big kiss! Needless to say I was SO PROUD of him for protecting my son and his home. We shall see if this is something that he keeps up!

7. Brutus and Amaya's Mom

Brutus and Amaya's Mom Boxer Insane

I think that Brutus could be protective but he is usually more interested in making friends than protecting. He does bark when people walk by the yard or come to the door but usually kidney beans around if they seem friendly.

Amaya is not a real barker and I don't think she would protect me.

8. Paula

Paula Boxer Booster

Every Boxer I'ver ever had was protective. All were friendly, but they are watchful and make the distinction between who is and isn't to be trusted. Some of my Boxers have had large extended families. They were protective of anyone they considered family.

One insurance agent came to the house. He stayed about 45 minutes discussing policies. Laurie sat by my side, at the alert, growling very quietly under her breath, with her hackles raised. She kept herself between the agent and my husband and myself. We didn't buy anything from him. If she didn't trust him, I wasn't going to!

9. troymel

troymel Boxer Buddy

our oldest boxer, Hayden, is very protective of me. my husband works midnights, so i am home alone for quite some time. if Hayden hears the slightest sound, he goes and checks it out. we have a huge front window that he gets up in to look out. if it's nothing, he comes back to bed with me. if it is actually a person out in the neighborhood, he goes bonkers! jumping around and barking this real deep, scruffly growl. he's loud enough to scare anyone away. he is my protector for sure! i know he'd take care of me. if my husband and i are arguing and raising our voices, he gets right in front of my husband and prepares to do anything to protect me. so, yes, to your question: boxers are very protective of their masters! ;)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2002
  10. lilgirl's mom

lilgirl's mom Boxer Booster

Little Girl is a very friendly dog. She loves everyone. She has just started to growl to show her protectiveness. She does not bark a lot though. Mostly growls. But anyway if she knows the person she will start kidney beaning and begging for attention. I am glad to know that she does have a protective side to her. It makes me feel more comfortable knowing that she is starting to be more protective of the family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.