1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are boxers just naturally obedient?

Discussion in 'Agility/Obedience' started by kpowell, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kpowell

kpowell Boxer Insane

My little mix, Stella, seems to catch on so quick to everything I ask her to do. She's one year old now, and we've been going to obedience classes since she was 12 weeks old. We're in the second heeling class and getting ready to start intro to novice/novice. I practice with her about five minutes a day, and usually we go over new stuff about 3 times a week for about 10-15 minutes. She does Rally courses up to Advanced level on leash for fun maybe twice a month. She's always caught on so quickly that I'm beginning to think it is a genetic trait! My other thought is that she is learning quickly because she started "learning to learn" at an early age and we practice a little each day. What do you guys think?

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

"Obedient" isn't a term I would typically associate with the breed. :)

Boxers tend to be very smart (or, in the case of some of the boys, not that smart but really quick to learn things). So long as they're not bored, they will catch on quickly and perform.

However, most boxers who have already sat or laid down a few times are not interested in doing it another dozen times just because you say so. That's why they got a reputation as tough to train - not because they can't learn, but because they don't respond well to the kind of endless repetition that, say, Labs and Goldens don't mind.

Clicker training works great for boxers because they get to actually "think".

In terms of dogs that work for man, there are breeds that respond pretty instinctually (hunting dogs, etc.) and those that were developed needing problem solving ability. One of the best traits of a boxer is its ability to size up a situation and react rationally -- that's why they are silent, thinking watchdogs instead of just overreacting barkaholics. However, the same quality also means they sometimes choose to decide for themselves whether they feel like doing what you're doing.

The best overall strategy is to convince them that pleasing you is in THEIR best interest. In a good way.

3. bayleighmom

bayleighmom Boxer Insane

Well said! Sometimes I swear I can see the wheels turning as Bayleigh tries to figure something out. Usually how to make food end up in her mouth!!

Reverse psychology!!

4. mguiette

mguiette Boxer Insane

appicon very well-put, kassa! :LOL: i can see maximus and axe now, snooping around the yard, looking for something to get into!! they are very, shall we say, independent, but i joke mine are too smart for their britches sometimes!! last night, the boys were "in trouble" when dh picked up a dr pepper can from the floor they'd knocked off the table and tasted. he just asked them "what is this?" nothing more, and poor Maximus' ears shot straight back (while axe is bouncing around, trying to "figure out" what it is!!) and no wrinkles left on his forehead!! poor thing... for about 5 seconds, then they were wiggle-butts again!! for a minute, he looked like he'd gotten botox!!! :LOL: but yes, they are very smart, very stubborn, but are the most loyal dogs i've ever had!

5. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

Since Bella is our first boxer I certainly can't speak from experience but she has been the quickest to learn things. She can pick up a new trick after just a few tries. But as well as she has done in her obedience classes (recently passed her CGC test) she does have her challenges. In situations she does great with her recall but let us be out in the back yard when I come home from work and "come" is just an excuse to piss off mom! She wanders in the bean field and then looks at me like "aren't you going to yell at me?" Then it's off to the races!

6. northernboxr

northernboxr Super Boxer

naturally obedient??
    Hmmm, maybe my Riker isn't a boxer afterall! :D

Ok, that's being too harsh on the poor little guy. He is remarkably good at obedience tricks etc... but if you take away the treats, he's outta there!

7. kpowell

kpowell Boxer Insane

Stella also insists on treats most of the time!

8. DiverDiva

DiverDiva Boxer Insane

I agree with kassa. With my angelicon Lab Kippy, it was "OK, I did that, what's next? OK, I did that, what's next?" With Oscar it is "Yeah, I heard you. Let me get back to you on that. By the way, what's in it for me?" :LOL:

9. MomofMillie

MomofMillie Boxer Booster

You took the words right out of Millie's mouth (if she could talk :P)

10. Alex C.

Alex C. Super Boxer

That was a good post Kassa. Funny too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.