1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

aquarium experts?

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by EAO76, Nov 30, 2014.

1. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Anyone keep freshwater fish? If so i need help but don't want to bother writing a long post if there aren't any experts present. Let me know!

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I used to, but I don't any more. I certainly don't consider myself and expert.

Ask your question. Maybe someone will have the answer. I remember that there was a fish forum that I used to go to, but I don't remember the name of it.

3. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Only Gold fish

4. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I won't bore everyone with details but a couple of my fish are rubbing. One in particular is extremely itchy and wont stop flashing against the tank. I know my water parameters are fine. It's definitely a parasite or disease. Im thinking gill flukes since there is no visible spots. I have plants and red cherry shrimp so I am concerned about using medications. I joined a fish forum which has been useless. I googled until my face turned blue...

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I am not familiar with red cherry shrimp. Are they particularly sensitive to medications? Is they any way you can take them out and put them in another tank while you treat the fish? Or take the fish out while you treat them?

6. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

We're not experts, but we do have a fresh water tank. It sounds like your fish has Ick. You can buy medication at the pet store to treat it.

7. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Thanks everyone! I can't move the shrimp (lots of them plus babies that are too small to even see much less catch) but I can move the fish. As of now I have moved the one that is the most affected and I am treating him in a quarantine tank. If he responds I'll decide what to do next... either treat the main tank or move the fish. It's definitely not ich. I've dealt with ich before and this is something different. Fish are so complicated! The water parameters, the maintenance, keeping your biological filter/bacteria alive, etc etc! Ugh give me dogs over fish any day! So much easier.

8. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

LOL! Out tank was a nightmare getting it balanced at first. And then coupled with the maintenance I think of it as being quite a pain most of the time. When everything is clean and in order, I do enjoy looking at it. I hope the treatment you are doing on the isolated fish works!