1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Application responses - A Question for Those Involved in Rescue

Discussion in 'General rescue forum' started by djheitz, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

We're having a very active debate in our rescue right now revolving around our responses to adoption applications. If you are on the receiving end of applications please respond to the questions you are comfortable answering -

1- Do you acknowledge the receipt of an application?

2- If the initial app looks good, do you let the applicants know the application is being worked on? Is there correspondence at each level of review (initial app, personal references, vet references, etc)?

3- If the app is declined at any point along the way, do you notify the applicant?

4- If so, is it a standard letter / email, or do you personalize it at all?

5- Do you reveal the reason for the decline or give a more generic 'no dogs that fit your needs' kind of response?

6- If the applicant can 'fix' whatever caused the decline, do you work with them? An example might be if the existing dog in the home has not been neutered.

7- If an applicant gets to the 'end' of the process and goes through a home visit before being declined, is your response different than if they were declined earlier in the process?

Thanks!

2. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

1- Do you acknowledge the receipt of an application? No

2- If the initial app looks good, do you let the applicants know the application is being worked on? Is there correspondence at each level of review (initial app, personal references, vet references, etc)? If the ap looks good we either phone or email screen. If that goes well we set up a home check at that time.

3- If the app is declined at any point along the way, do you notify the applicant? Sometimes

4- If so, is it a standard letter / email, or do you personalize it at all? I usually send a decline email but to be honest there have been some applications that just slipped through the cracks. Depending on the reason for the decline I might personalize. Its a case by case basis.

5- Do you reveal the reason for the decline or give a more generic 'no dogs that fit your needs' kind of response? Depends…if everything on the ap looks good except say they are applying for a female & already have one then I will decline their choice of dog but give them a chance to look at others. Or if their dog is not fixed I will ask why and depending on their answer give an opportunity to remedy the situation or make an exception (a heart condition for example). But if the app is really bad (sleep outside for example) then I give the generic “no dogs to fit your needs” or I say there is no volunteer available in their area for a home check. I don’t like to always reveal the reason because I think that just prompts them to lie to the next rescue.

6- If the applicant can 'fix' whatever caused the decline, do you work with them? An example might be if the existing dog in the home has not been neutered. answered this one above

7- If an applicant gets to the 'end' of the process and goes through a home visit before being declined, is your response different than if they were declined earlier in the process? If there is a problem with the home check that can be fixed (hole in the fence or something like that) then we give an opportunity to fix it. If we feel like the dog is not a match with the family’s lifestyle, kids, or dogs then we just say so. If I just have a general bad feeling then I will tell them that another family applied for the same dog & was a better match. If they did not have a particular dog in mind then I just say there are no matches for them. People rarely want to wait so they usually move on if we don’t have a match for them.

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

1- Do you acknowledge the receipt of an application?

Yes. Standard e-mail from someone on the app. committee. "Your application to said rescue has been received. If we have any questions pertaining to the app. one of our volunteers will contact you."

2- If the initial app looks good, do you let the applicants know the application is being worked on? Is there correspondence at each level of review (initial app, personal references, vet references, etc)?

Answer to #1 applies here. If something is missing from the app. we would contact the applicant. No additional correspondence at each level however many times people contact US to find out where they are in the process.

3- If the app is declined at any point along the way, do you notify the applicant?

Yes.

4- If so, is it a standard letter / email, or do you personalize it at all?

Send e-mail. All of our apps come through e-mail so our responses follow suit.

5- Do you reveal the reason for the decline or give a more generic 'no dogs that fit your needs' kind of response?

Give honest reason no matter what it is. **I had to tell someone that since they had given away 3 dogs in two years due to "potty issues" AND another one was hit by a car that we didn't feel they were up to the challenge of a Boxer. That was hard but there was no way they were getting a dog!

6- If the applicant can 'fix' whatever caused the decline, do you work with them? An example might be if the existing dog in the home has not been neutered.

Yes. Give them the opportunity to correct within a specific amount of time. After that time is up they would have to re-apply. Happens a lot with homes having no fences which we require. If all else looks well and we get proof of a fence install we will continue with the app.

7- If an applicant gets to the 'end' of the process and goes through a home visit before being declined, is your response different than if they were declined earlier in the process?

Nope. Tell them the exact reasons why they were declined as nicely as possible.

4. IluvLucy

IluvLucy Boxer Insane

We are a foster home so the applicants are approved by others before we see them. If they are interested in the dog we are fostering then they are referred to us. At that point I e-mail them and tell them a little bit about the dog. If there is more than one I will tell them up front that there are others interested. Unless I have a good reason to choose one over another I will usually choose the one that was first. One time I had nine applicants for one dog and they all seemed to come in at once. There were 2 Meet and Greet events scheduled on a weekend and I planned on going to both so I e-mailed all the applicants and told them they could go to either on and that I would make a decision after that. Only one person showed up the whole weekend. My decision was easy.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.