1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apoquel for Itching

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by x19er, Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

We ended up at the vet today with Dino for an eye ulcer <sighs> these things always happen at the weekend! Anyway this led to discussing a new treatment for his itchy skin, Apoquel, which we're going to try. Has anyone tried this yet and if so how did it go?

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

I have never heard of it. I hope it works for you. Let us know how it goes.

3. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

4. Roge

Roge Boxer Insane

Oh poor Dino I hope the eye heals up quickly and that the new treatment work for his allergies.
    Who knows he may even be able to get near a cat without a flair up if it works !!! ha ha

5. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Try looking into coconut oil for the itchiness. Rocky my GSD has had itchy problems for the last 7 years every Sept a shot and fish oil pills, allergy pills Benadryl etc. The vet it was a non specific allergy general itchiness.

I started feeding, rubbing Coconut oil on him for the last few months or so and it has made a huge difference.
    Just the other day I saw his allergy pills and realized he hasn't had any in months.

Just a thought. :)

6. DlcVta

DlcVta Boxer Pal

Apoquel has been a life savor for me. My 2 yr old girl has always had skin allergies from both food and environment and I've tried several diets, antihistamines, allergy injections, raw diets ect. She's been on Apoquel for a month now and within 24 hrs from starting it there was no more licking of paws at all! It's making such a difference in the veterinary world that it's been on back order with only small batches coming thru. Couple of my clients even bought stock in zoatis, the manufacturer.

7. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Thanks for this Gunther ... but I have used coconut oil, plus apple cider vinegar, since we first brought her home at 8 weeks, when she had dermatitis, and her coat was very dry and patchy.

You are right - it did, and still does, work really well to clear her skin, and her coat is now gorgeous .... but she still itches sometimes. As far as we know, in response to certain things that she eats. We know for sure that it's grains and eggs, so I try to be very careful about what I give her ... but sometimes I just don't know that something will give a bad reaction, and then it takes a while for her skin to settle back down again ... so this medication sounds like it would be helpful to use short term when it's needed.

I think this recent episode is because I stopped using canned puppy food, thinned with water, as a gravy for her kibble and have been boiling chicken backs to make a soupy stock to use instead. Her kibble is not poultry based, but she has eaten chicken occasionally, and seemed OK with it when she did .... but having the chicken every day the last 10 days, has, I think, been too much. ( I assume chicken is the trigger as there is nothing else different )

They do like to to trial us, these precious pups.

8. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

OK sorry I was hoping it was a magic bullet for you. Good luck, I know it sucks having to deal with it. :)

9. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

HA HA! I forget he's officially allergic to cats, he'd run a mile mind if he came across one he's such a feardy :D

10. x19er

x19er Boxer Insane

Thank you for letting me know, our vets practice have only just started using it, he's going to be 10 this year so I've been nervous about trying something new on him. I read one of the side effects is thirst, have you noticed that with your girl? He's on a low dose of steroids just now which he has to come off gradually at the same time as introducing the Apoquel so it will be a few weeks before we can really assess it. We struggled on for most if his life using all the same things you've tried so really hoping this new drug could be the answer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.