APBT Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

epdjr

Boxer Booster
I am not myself an apbt owner but I know numerous people who do and I also know a few breeders, and believe me I love the breed. Every one of their dogs are great and well behaved. But you must remember the inate temperment of these dogs. For example A guy I know had two female pitts that he raised from puppies right along side each other and both were great. However about three years down the road he came home to find both bloody and nearly dead from fighting. It could just be one time over a little thing but it could always happen. so it might be a good idea to keep them apart when you are not home. Now I am not saying that pitts are mean at all. In fact I almost adopted one but my boxer just would not get along with it. All I am saying is that you can take the dog out of the fight but you may not be able to take all of the fight out of the dog. And personally for both dogs health and safety I don't think I would wan't to test it. It is just bred in to them, both boxers and pitts are a dominant breeds and sometimes heads just clash as with any other dogs. The difference here is if this does happen it could result in severe injury. It's not like having a jack russell and a dachsund that don't get along. I hope everything works out and I didn't step on any toes if I did I apologize. I just want to restate that pitts are great dogs and do make excellent pets when raised accordingly.

PSUHeather

Boxer Booster
Look for reputable breeders, and meet their dogs. Ask many, many questions. When I bought my boxer pup, I was able to meet and get jumped on by and licked by her mom, dad, and grandmother. I knew she would have a great temperment. Once you get the pup SOCIALIZE it. Try to get it to experience as much as possible. This will make for a calmer dog. My Trace used to think shopping carts and buses were scarey things that were going to eat her! I'm also for crating the dog(s) when you are not present. There will be no bloody messes, or any other messes for that matter, to come home to. Crating is a good thing,as you know your baby will be safe when you return.
*** Also, on a random note: I met a pitt owner who had her pup's tail docked. When I questioned her, she said she had it docked (it's actually "amputation" after 5 days of age) so that no one would steal it and fight it. Apparently the absence of the tail offsets the dog's balance and makes for a bad fighter. ***

ASTNC

Boxer Booster
I owned 2 APBT's and own an AmStaff now. If you get them as a puppy and let them grow up together there should be no problem. I would get the opposite gender to the dog you have now. These are great dogs. I would look for a good breeder who does health testing, and socialize the pup by bringing to dog training classes. My 2 dogs always got along well together even alone in the house. Sometimes these dogs have a dislike for other dogs and it may be in their nature, but you can train them to tolerate other dogs. If they grow up with another dog they are fine. That dog will be part of their pack. Some breeders do breed for a dog with a softer temperment. I would go to some APBT board's as well and there you can find information about this breed of dog as well as good breeders. These dogs do have a bad reputation so you have to make sure there are no Breed Specific Legislation in place where you live. Read books about the breed and learn as much as you can about these dogs before getting one.

Aimee

Boxer Insane
I spoke with my friend who has several APBT's. She stated first and foremost to figure out what you want out of your dog. Her two that are CGC/TDI certified are rescues so she has no background information on them. The one that is not, she obtained from a breeder. This dog is dog aggressive but seems to do well in it's own pack. She stated that this one is what is called "game" bred. Meaning it is generally dog aggressive but will not turn on it's person--which is what she was looking for with this one. She can deal with the inconvenience of it not socializing with other dogs to ensure it does well with people. But again, this dog so far does well in it's pack. She does crate the dogs when she leaves and never leaves them alone together. Like said before, you can take the dog out of the fight but not the fight out of the dog. She said APBT's are not for everyone and stressed that--in the wrong hands they can be deadly. Her rescues however are the most wonderful dogs I have ever met so you may want to seek out an APBT rescue so that you can know what the temperament of the dog is when you get it and not guess what it *may* be from a breeder. Best of luck!

ASTNC

Boxer Booster
Hopefully I am allowed to post apbt/amstaff sites that might help
you (I think I am not allowed to post Boxer sites?). This is one way besides reading to learn about the breed and be able to ask questions first hand to some good breeders so you can make an informed decision for yourself. I don't know if you have been to these yet but they are very good and people are real helpful. Please talk to some breeders who are familiar with these dogs.

www.purebredpuppy.com

http://amstaffnetwork0.tripod.com/

mdowling

Boxer Buddy
Originally posted by Merc
I really really really really wanna stay away from pups that have that sorta temperament("fighting") bred into them. I know this sounds ignorant but my 2 questions are

1) is it possible to inject temperents thru controlled breeding?

2) If 1 is possible is there a way for me to 'test' pups for that 'fighting temperment'?

I sorry if I offend anyone or sound like a complete dummy
but I've heard such wonderful stories about ABPT's and on the other side I've heard such terrible stories I'm just trying to understand a little better

If you're worried about getting a dog with fighting bred into them, than why choose a pit bull? That is the main reason the dogs were bred the only reason actually. I have an AmStaff he's a great dog but he is feisty, if you are worried about horrible stories, and owning a dog with a fighting history why consider a pit bull? I don't want to sound hasty but too many people jump into buying a pit bull because they look cool, and are an extension of there egos. I love the breed and it breaks my heart to see the shelters full of them because too many people don't know what they're getting into when they purchase one. They take a lot of training becasue of there intelligence, strength, and stubbornness.

-Mike D

matilda8255

Boxer Insane
Staffy's are wonderful dogs but they are stubborn and very smart. Many people do not have what it takes to raise these dogs properly because it takes constant reinforcement or they will simply tune you out and do whatever they want.

My staffy Caesar could open the fridge, take a plate out, place it on the ground without breaking it and eat whatever was on the plate. I had duct tape keeping my fridge closed for 12 years. And if I forgot one single time, even for 10 minutes to replace the old tape, my fridge would be empty when I got home. They are geniuses in the art of ignore.

I do NOT under any circumstances recommend that you have a male staffy in the same house with another male dog of any breed!!! You are asking for big time trouble. When they reach maturity they may suddenly hate each other. Please do yourself a favor and get a female for Spidey (I am assuming Spidey is a boy). Caesar had 2 fur sisters and a cat and loved them dearly but he HATED all male dogs. He never bit anyone and loved people and babies.

Stephanie

Last edited:

Roxydog

Super Boxer
First and foremost please please please run away quickly from any breeder who says they breed for "game". In underground Pit Bull terms, "game tested" = "fight tested". Anytime I hear that "our pups are from game tested stock" I just tear up. I have an Am Staff and he is the greatest dog, I love him to pieces but I will also say that he requires a lot of patience. I adopted my boy and have a very vague idea of his stock, you can see Brutus' pic in my gallery. There are some HUGE kennels breeding APBT and I would stay away from any pup with the "Razors Edge" name in it's line. Razos Edge is a huge, popular, and might I add ridiculously overpriced, backyard breeder kennel. They don't health test their dos, their pups dont meet standard and they charge upwards of $4,000 for a pup. If you look into many lines I'm sad to say you will see a Razors Edge dog (My Bru is one) If I was to purchase an APBT I would do my homework and then some.There are 10,000 backyard breeders of this breed to 1 responsible breeder and it would be a search to find one that really breeds to improve the breed. Contact breed specific clubs in your area. The AKC website should have a link to either the Staffordshire Terrier club in your area or possibly some reccomended breeder links. Good luck!

Roxydog

Super Boxer
Just to clarify the whole "bred for gameness" phrase...I didn't exactly describe what it ACTUALLY means. You are right when you say it means determined. Gameness is a measure of how long and tough a dog will hold it's ground. Unfortunately this is what is explotied alot about Staffys is their "hold their ground" never give up mentality. Any time I hear a "breeder" say they game test their stock, it sends off red lights and sirens in my head telling me to run away quickly. How else would you test a dogs "gameness" other than by actually seeing how long a dog can hold it's ground in a fight? :(

mdowling

Boxer Buddy
Hi Roxydog,
I do agree that gameness was first derived in the fighting ring, but fighting or not fighting, it is still part of the breed. The breed should have gameness which I equate to having a strong willed spirit, tenacity, and perseverence. I think you can see this in the breed without fighting them. Like my dog in tug o war will not stop until he wins. Or because I let him on the couch once he now thinks it's his right to be up there, we've been battling for weeks about the couch issue. The problem is without gameness in the breed, you lose a major part of what makes the breed the breed. That's like breeding labradors that don't retrieve, or pointers that don't point. If they breed docile amstaffs/apbt's without gameness you will have to lose everything else that makes the breed such a great breed. Believe it or not what makes these dogs excellent fighting dogs, also makes them excellent pets and companions. For instance courage, loyalty, high pain threshhold, tenacity. These are good characterisitcs if channeled in the right direction. So I do think Pit Bulls and AmStaffs should be bred with gameness in mind. However I in no way shape or form condone dog fighting. It's a horrible thing to do to the animals. And to even watch it would be sick.

-Mike D

Status
Not open for further replies.