1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone out there who has had an experience with TPLO?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by gefitlepez, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gefitlepez

gefitlepez Boxer Booster

Haley tore her ACL and is gonna have to have surgery. Can anyone who has any experience with this either as a practitioner or as a patient, please post positive and negative experiences with this procedure so I can get an idea about the ordeal I am considering putting my girl through. Anything will help. Thanks everyone,

gabe

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

3. nanabear/Ore.

nanabear/Ore. Banned

My Mack has had three knee surgeries. The first was what's called a "traditional repair", the second was a TPLO on the other knee. Last year he had a meniscus removal on the first leg.
    The very best thing I can suggest is that you sign up for the Yahoo orthodogs group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs/

Everyone there has "been there, done that" as well as going through it now. You should be able to get most of your questions answered and educate yourself while going through it.
    Mack and I send hugs to both of you........it's hard on the whole family.

4. Smooshlips

Smooshlips Boxer Buddy

I've been through that ugggg

Well about 8 months ago our Am. staff had a TPLO done. I must say it seems to be a good surgery for the problem. If you have questions your vet should be more than happy to answer, i think joining the group is a good idea too. When our guy had it done all went well. He ended up with a uti afterwards, they say probably from the catheder they put in and he ripped out. That was minor. At the time we lived in a second floor apartment. I carried him up and down those stairs for longer than i choose to remember. He was obsessive about his scar and if you let him anywhere near it he would lick it like crazy. He ended up wearing the cone for a good month. He also had a mild reaction to the suture that they used just under the skin so we had some problems with the area swelling a bit. Now he is running around like a happy camper, when the weather gets cold he gets a little wimpy but at least he can use it now. I keep a small supply of metacam for when the weather is poor. I can just imagine it may hurt when you have a metal plate in your leg and it is -30 c. Well good luck and lots of good vibes for Haley.

5. Susan3283

Susan3283 Boxer Pal

Smooshlips - how did you keep your baby confined or calm during recovery? My Sadie is about to have knee surgery for luxating patellas and I am worried about the recovery period? How do you keep them off of the couch, etc? Did you crate your dog when you weren't home?

I know she'll feel great after the surgery. I am just so worried about keeping her calm so she doesn't re-injur herself.

6. Smooshlips

Smooshlips Boxer Buddy

When we had our guy done we kept him in an x pen for a majority of his recovery. In the evening when I was home and sitting to watch tv I would lift him on to the couch and tell him to stay. He was more than happy to just sit on the couch rather that be barred to the x pen. He was very comfortable in the x pen i put a large coushin in there for him. I thought it was mean to have him in there for so long but in the long run it was better for his knee.

7. Oscar's Mom

Oscar's Mom Super Boxer

Our boy Oscar has had both a TPLO and traditional surgeries done. The TPLO is by far the way to go. His overall recovery time was quicker and he seemed to be in less pain afterwards.

During the recovery period we took turns sitting on the floor with him so he didn't get up and go anywhere. When we weren't there he was crated (as usual). For 8 weeks we were pretty strict with outside time. We were with him all the time. He started walking normally after about 3 weeks so it was hard to keep him down.

Good luck with your boy's leg, the TPLO is worth it.

Myra

8. gefitlepez

gefitlepez Boxer Booster

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far...

all the info has been really helpful. One question. How long does the metal plate stay in the leg? Forever? Thanks a bunch.

9. Smooshlips

Smooshlips Boxer Buddy

The plate stays in forever unless of course there is some other problem. I've never heard of them having to remove a tplo plate.

10. SuzanneC

SuzanneC Super Boxer

A TPLO plate stays in unless there is infection associated with it. I've seen several have to be removed, but I've seen a whole lot more stay in with no problems. The key is to make sure the dog absolutely does NOT lick the incision until it's completely healed. The infections that I've seen happened because the dog got around their E-collar and went to work on the incision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.